DNA ancestry test

rowan

Re: DNA ancestry test

Post by rowan »

Speaking of Siberia:

A female who died around 90,000 years ago was half Neanderthal and half Denisovan, according to genome analysis of a bone discovered in a Siberian cave. This is the first time scientists have identified an ancient individual whose parents belonged to distinct human groups. The findings were published on 22 August in Nature1.
https://www.nature.com/articles/d41586-018-06004-0

Europeans have about 2.5% Neanderthal DNA. Asians, Native Americans and Austronesians have varying degrees of Denisovan DNA. Austronesians also have DNA from an as yet unidentified source in Melanesia. Sub-Saharan Africans have no admixture.

I guess the ancestry.com test won't tell me how much Neanderthal (or Denisovan) DNA I have . . .
If they're good enough to play at World Cups, why not in between?
morepork

Post by morepork »

Just get it done man. If you send me some blood and a cashiers check for $3000, I could do it for you at work.
kk67

Post by kk67 »

Spy wrote:Only 99%. I'm 1% Jewish.
1%.
Last edited by kk67 on Mon Aug 27, 2018 10:34 pm, edited 2 times in total.
kk67

Post by kk67 »

Jews have been giving it large recently with the Corbyn stuff but with the Harvey Weinstein case and the two lawyers who were working for Trump, the Financial malfeasance and the recent killer in Florida...
it has not been a good month for the Jews.
kk67

Post by kk67 »

The Ukip nonsense is even worse.

They said we shouldn't characterise UKip as psychopathic, ill educated, provincial, racists.

But since the vote they've emerged as being entirely racist, murderous, racist morons, capable of financial corruption and entirely lacking a moral compass.
rowan

Post by rowan »

kk67 wrote:
Funny how most of us couldn't give a shit. You 1% yiddisher feck.
Yiddish is a Germanic dialect containing some borrowed words from the Torah. & that doesn't included all that Yada Yada Yada stuff you see on Seinfield.

I have no beef with the Jews in general. There's good ones and bad ones just like everyone else. Israel and Zionism are another matter entirely, but let's leave that for the political thread.
kk67

Post by kk67 »

rowan wrote:
kk67 wrote:
Funny how most of us couldn't give a shit. You 1% yiddisher feck.
Yiddish is a Germanic dialect containing some borrowed words from the Torah. & that doesn't included all that Yada Yada Yada stuff you see on Seinfield.

I have no beef with the Jews in general. There's good ones and bad ones just like everyone else. Israel and Zionism are another matter entirely, but let's leave that for the political thread.
I think economics are manipulating us. I don't think it's a problem.
We shared the middle east for 300 years.
rowan

Post by rowan »

What's your ancestry?
onlynameleft

Post by onlynameleft »

My mum and dad got one each and then suggested I should get one too. Maybe trying to tell me something.
rowan

Post by rowan »

That would certainly be a good way to find out if you were adopted. I wonder how consistent results are for siblings. Will boys receive more DNA from their fathers and girls more from their mothers, I wonder, and might genetic throwbacks be possible, the way some kids look more like a grandparent than either of their parents, for example?
morepork

Post by morepork »

rowan wrote:That would certainly be a good way to find out if you were adopted. I wonder how consistent results are for siblings. Will boys receive more DNA from their fathers and girls more from their mothers, I wonder, and might genetic throwbacks be possible, the way some kids look more like a grandparent than either of their parents, for example?

You need to find every individual that taught you biology throughout your education and shoot them.
morepork

Post by morepork »

Let me know if you need some entry level instruction on sexual recombination and meiosis.

X
Galfon

Post by Galfon »

any tips on herding zygotes ?
rowan

Post by rowan »

Galfon wrote:any tips on herding zygotes ?
Ja, Herr Galfon, vee keepen zy gotes on zy farm wiz zy scheeps und zy schwein :ugeek:
morepork

Post by morepork »

Galfon wrote:any tips on herding zygotes ?

Yeah. Understand meiosis. The very definition of diploid is the zygote.

Rowan Hon....I'm here to help.
morepork

Post by morepork »

when a mummy loves a daddy very much, a daddy puts his pe.....
rowan

Post by rowan »

Watched a brief doco about the Indonesian Hobbit Man last night, only three and a half feet tall on average (and we do not appear to have interbred with them) but apparently another hominid we encountered and conquered - and about as closely related to modern man as Neanderthals and Denisovans. How close is that? About ten times closer than chimps and bonobos, as we diverged from those species around 6 million years ago, compared to several hundred thousand years ago from other hominids.
morepork

Post by morepork »

I didn't think H. floresiensis DNA had ever been successfully isolated?
morepork

Post by morepork »

I guess actual knowledge is no substitute for Google Anthropology. I'll leave you to converse with yourself forever on yet another thread.
rowan

Post by rowan »

I've been doing a little reading about Homo Naledi as well, another hominid contemporary with the Neanderthals and Denisovans who lived in southern Africa, and although as closely related to homo sapiens as the aforementioned looked quite different and there appears to have been no interbreeding. There is actually quite a lot of fossil evidence because, like Neanderthals, Homo Naledi buried their dead in chambers. Amazingly the Denisovans appear to have left practically nothing behind, despite their DNA turning up all over Asia, Australasia and the Americas. Indeed, everything we know about them has come from genetic testing on just a handful of bone fragments. :o
Galfon

Post by Galfon »

Tongue in cheek, I am sure.

Some of the comments are quite funny.
https://brilliantmaps.com/the-genetic-map-of-europe/
Mellsblue

Post by Mellsblue »

Any point me spending my money on this:

https://muhdo.com/health-matters/

Thought I might give it a go but don’t want to chuck money down the toilet.
morepork

Post by morepork »

Mellsblue wrote:Any point me spending my money on this:

https://muhdo.com/health-matters/

Thought I might give it a go but don’t want to chuck money down the toilet.
That's some bold claim there. They are basically saying they have the ability to screen genome-wide patterns of DNA methylation and assign a risk/probability to a physical activity, and then target that association for enhancement. This assumes that firstly, they are in possession of knowledge of specific methylation patterns associated with actual physical traits (would be quite a revelation) and that they can target them on an individual case-by-case basis. While there are examples of epigenetic modifications that are responsive to a specific pharmacologic intervention, most of these are really specific.....think a drug that binds to a specific receptor that is down regulated in a subset of some kinds of cancer cells...and so in practice are very narrow in scope. One of those munters on the website could "tailor" a diet based on genome wide patterns, but it won't be specific for the individual. Resveratrol in red wine is associated with lowering the risk for cardiac problems and alters the methylation of many regions of the genome (some with known function, some not), and a Mediterranean diet does the same, so when a scientists gives one of the munters your personalised methylation profile (easy enough to do from a sample), it could have these regions of DNA highlighted by reference to the Resveratrol and similar published data, and the munter says you need a diet wot has more fish and wine, and send you on your way. If they are cunning, the highlighted regions will respond to exercise/diet/alcohol just as hundreds of studies have shown they have and you sit back amazed that your DNA can be manipulated so.

In summary....probably quite a bit of fluff. Services like this are not permitted to claim diagnosis with fluff, so be wary of anything like that.
Mellsblue

Post by Mellsblue »

Cheers.