Amazon sell out

Anything rugby not covered by the other forums.

Moderators: Puja, Misc Forum Mod

Son of Mathonwy

Amazon sell out

Post by Son of Mathonwy »

No surprise - we've been sold out:

https://www.walesonline.co.uk/sport/rug ... s-21352031

The only hope (for the Welsh) being that S4C will have Welsh-language coverage.
Big D

Re: Amazon sell out

Post by Big D »

Very sensible move by the unions in my view.

The FTA channels get a pretty fair deal of it for the 6N and Amazon are one of the cheapest platforms to put games on whilst still generating income while keeping all the games on one platform. Amazon prime is about £12 and the video only package about £5 IIRC.
whatisthejava

Post by whatisthejava »

Son of Mathonwy wrote:No surprise - we've been sold out:

https://www.walesonline.co.uk/sport/rug ... s-21352031

The only hope (for the Welsh) being that S4C will have Welsh-language coverage.
the unions are in deep red after the last year. They need to sell everything to keep the lights on. It’s a good deal.
whatisthejava

Post by whatisthejava »

It’s also 7 - 12 quid for 16 games of rugby.

Less than the licence fee
Mellsblue

Post by Mellsblue »

Yeah. Purely on a ££££ basis it’s the cheapest option, terrestrial aside. Especially if your wife already has Prime to enable her to singlehandedly funded Bezos’s flying dildo.
Son of Mathonwy

Post by Son of Mathonwy »

And will you guys cheer them on if the 6N goes the same way? Or would that be a sell-out too far?
Big D

Post by Big D »

Son of Mathonwy wrote:And will you guys cheer them on if the 6N goes the same way? Or would that be a sell-out too far?
For me it depends how close FTA channels get to the figures that alternatives offer. The ideal scenario is to have the 6N on FTA but if they are offering so far below market value that it borders on taking the piss then I'd reluctantly be ok with it.

It has been a tough year and the unions fund more than pro teams. The SRU need to support its member clubs and school rugby and it needs money to do so. So if the FTA channels offered lower than say 70% of market value and they go elsewhere I think it would be reasonable to say enough is enough. It is a two way street.

It wasn't that long ago the SRU literally couldn't give summer tour games away to the BBC.
Last edited by Big D on Mon Aug 23, 2021 8:19 am, edited 1 time in total.
Mellsblue

Post by Mellsblue »

I’d like the 6N to stay on terrestrial and I think it will unless, as Big D says, ITV & BBC take the piss. The 6N/various unions have recently turned down more ££££ from non-free to air as more eye balls were deemed more important. Amazon is less than £10 a month and rugby is strapped for cash. Think of it as a charitable donation. Alternatively, there are ways to watch it for free/commit theft.
Puja

Post by Puja »

Son of Mathonwy wrote:And will you guys cheer them on if the 6N goes the same way? Or would that be a sell-out too far?
I think the AIs aren't seen as a massive issue by the English cause our AIs have been on subscription TV for years - we're just happy it's not going to be on Sky with their crappy production. Can understand why it's different for the Welsh who have been used to having FTA every year.

The 6N is a different kettle of fish though as that's the last bastion of freeview rugby. That's non-negotiable, for me.

Puja
Backist Monk
whatisthejava

Post by whatisthejava »

Mellsblue wrote:Yeah. Purely on a ££££ basis it’s the cheapest option, terrestrial aside. Especially if your wife already has Prime to enable her to singlehandedly funded Bezos’s flying dildo.
Are we married to the same woman.

Fucking hell, every day it’s Amazon packages. I can’t stand the bastard and still use my dead mates granny’s prime account (even though my wife has one)
Mellsblue

Post by Mellsblue »

whatisthejava wrote:
Mellsblue wrote:Yeah. Purely on a ££££ basis it’s the cheapest option, terrestrial aside. Especially if your wife already has Prime to enable her to singlehandedly funded Bezos’s flying dildo.
Are we married to the same woman.

Fucking hell, every day it’s Amazon packages. I can’t stand the bastard and still use my dead mates granny’s prime account (even though my wife has one)
I checked the joint account this morning and all I could think was that Bezos now almost certainly has the funds to set his sights beyond Mars.
Digby

Post by Digby »

Making him a goddess on a mountain top?

Venus might be a smidge warm mind, it's what? 400 wish degrees Celsius, which would roast a few chickens nicely enough, but...

Is Bezos the one with the vision for the enormous space station allowing people to move off earth? perhaps even stations?