World Rugby bans red-green kit clashes

Anything rugby not covered by the other forums.

Moderators: Puja, Misc Forum Mod

Puja

World Rugby bans red-green kit clashes

Post by Puja »

https://www.theguardian.com/sport/2021/ ... blind-fans

Interesting idea - it's not something that I'd ever thought about before, although I can definitely see why it'd be a problem. I'd prefer it if the IRB could also mandate not having kit clashes between sides whose kits wouldn't normally clash, but do because the marketing team want to trot out their latest change strip. The Australia vs Argentina game was appalling - gold and light blue/white shouldn't clash, but for some reason both sides wore special kits and we were treated to dark teal vs dark blue.
Capture.jpg
Puja
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Backist Monk
Son of Mathonwy

Re: World Rugby bans red-green kit clashes

Post by Son of Mathonwy »

What are the IRB's current rules about strips being too similar? Surely they ought to have some process where nonstandard strips are signed off before the match? I recall a particularly bad one where NZ used their alternate strip which was IIRC dark grey with random white patches vs Scotland with dark blue and random white patches. Not a good combination.
Digby

Post by Digby »

That wasn't Australia, that was SA with some shoulder swirls wearing some Australian face masks and not kicking as much.

Removing colours that don't contrast makes sense however, for those and without colour blindness. No perfect solution but we should be able to do much better
Mikey Brown

Post by Mikey Brown »

I feel like there’s quite regularly completely unnecessary clashes in premiership. Not that it’s impossible to tell apart, but often needlessly close particularly if the conditions are bad. As Puja said it always seems to be the stupid change kits that cause this.
Digby

Post by Digby »

Stupid kit changes can cause problems for people who can see colour and not. Starting out with no allowance for issues such as red/green causes problems for people with colour blindness.

It would seem the whole could be agreed in advance rather simply, and yet it isn't. And it's still a good idea to act on red/green even if it's not the best response addressing colours in the round
Puja

Post by Puja »

Mikey Brown wrote:I feel like there’s quite regularly completely unnecessary clashes in premiership. Not that it’s impossible to tell apart, but often needlessly close particularly if the conditions are bad. As Puja said it always seems to be the stupid change kits that cause this.
I don't get why clubs don't play in their normal kits all the time, unless there's a clash. I mean, I do get it, the answer is money like it is with everything, but I'm fed up of clubs that have absolutely no issues with kits clashing deciding to wear their change strip and, more likely than not, causing the problem that a change strip is supposed to alleviate.

Puja
Backist Monk
Mr Mwenda

Post by Mr Mwenda »

I remember when Quin's first got a change kit "because of European rugby rules." The light-hearted press release also said that, of course, Quin's would never wear it. That didn't last long.
Puja

Post by Puja »

Mr Mwenda wrote:I remember when Quin's first got a change kit "because of European rugby rules." The light-hearted press release also said that, of course, Quin's would never wear it. That didn't last long.
Mind, your lot were the ones that ruined having letters on our backs by deciding to go with squad numbers to sell shirts and making the RFU bring in rules that everyone's jerseys needed to be numbered 1-15.

Puja
Backist Monk
Mr Mwenda

Post by Mr Mwenda »

Puja wrote:
Mr Mwenda wrote:I remember when Quin's first got a change kit "because of European rugby rules." The light-hearted press release also said that, of course, Quin's would never wear it. That didn't last long.
Mind, your lot were the ones that ruined having letters on our backs by deciding to go with squad numbers to sell shirts and making the RFU bring in rules that everyone's jerseys needed to be numbered 1-15.

Puja
Oh yes, I remember that from my first visit to the Stoop. Why on earth did they think they'd sell more? Because footy does it? Shows the acumen of rugby business folk I guess.