Wifi Extenders

Stom

Wifi Extenders

Post by Stom »

Does anyone have any experience with Wifi extenders?

For some reason, our new router is unable to reach my wife's office at fast enough speeds for her to have client calls. So I need to extend it.

As our routers are TP-Link I was thinking of using their Mesh to create a "seamless network" across the house, so we don't have to switch network.

Anyone done this or something similar?
Puja

Re: Wifi Extenders

Post by Puja »

Wifi extender can mean two different things. A wifi repeater is most common - this is a box that looks like another router which picks up the signal and amplifies it. This is a complete waste of time, IMO - it's like taking a fuzzy radio signal and just turning up the volume. Better than nothing, but only just.

A powerline bridge wifi extender is a different kettle of fish. This looks like two oversized plugs - one plugs into the wall next to the router and is connected to the router with an ethernet cable and the other plugs in near your home office. The idea is that the router makes a wired connection to the plug socket and then the internet is sent using the physical power wires of your house as internet cables. It then comes out at the second plug and a wifi signal is created there (which can be an identical network to the main one, sothis would also be a seamless network - you don't have to have the same brand to do that). That is the one that I have and is the best solution. However, there is the caveat that it depends very much on the quality of wiring in your house. Anything built or rewired 90s or later is probably fine. If you have a fusebox that looks like an MC Escher painting, then probably not. Ideally, both plug sockets would be on the same ring main, although this is not necessary.

Third option is to get a better quality router. If your one is >3 years old, this could be an option that will work.

Puja
Backist Monk
Stom

Post by Stom »

Puja wrote:Wifi extender can mean two different things. A wifi repeater is most common - this is a box that looks like another router which picks up the signal and amplifies it. This is a complete waste of time, IMO - it's like taking a fuzzy radio signal and just turning up the volume. Better than nothing, but only just.

A powerline bridge wifi extender is a different kettle of fish. This looks like two oversized plugs - one plugs into the wall next to the router and is connected to the router with an ethernet cable and the other plugs in near your home office. The idea is that the router makes a wired connection to the plug socket and then the internet is sent using the physical power wires of your house as internet cables. It then comes out at the second plug and a wifi signal is created there (which can be an identical network to the main one, sothis would also be a seamless network - you don't have to have the same brand to do that). That is the one that I have and is the best solution. However, there is the caveat that it depends very much on the quality of wiring in your house. Anything built or rewired 90s or later is probably fine. If you have a fusebox that looks like an MC Escher painting, then probably not. Ideally, both plug sockets would be on the same ring main, although this is not necessary.

Third option is to get a better quality router. If your one is >3 years old, this could be an option that will work.

Puja
I thought they only worked on the same ring? They work throughout the house no matter? Interesting...

The router is only a few days old...we got it because we only had a 100mbs router but 1gb internet. My speed has jumped from around 30 to 260. My wife's has stayed the same, suggesting the router doesn't reach to her office well enough.

So we need to extend the signal over there. Ideally to 100mbs+, so she can have client calls easier.

I was thinking of getting these "Mesh" kits. TP-Link do these things called Deco that I can get over here. We could put one up in the landing and that could extend the signal into the office.
Numbers

Post by Numbers »

Stom wrote:
Puja wrote:Wifi extender can mean two different things. A wifi repeater is most common - this is a box that looks like another router which picks up the signal and amplifies it. This is a complete waste of time, IMO - it's like taking a fuzzy radio signal and just turning up the volume. Better than nothing, but only just.

Puja
I thought they only worked on the same ring? They work throughout the house no matter? Interesting...

The router is only a few days old...we got it because we only had a 100mbs router but 1gb internet. My speed has jumped from around 30 to 260. My wife's has stayed the same, suggesting the router doesn't reach to her office well enough.

So we need to extend the signal over there. Ideally to 100mbs+, so she can have client calls easier.

I was thinking of getting these "Mesh" kits. TP-Link do these things called Deco that I can get over here. We could put one up in the landing and that could extend the signal into the office.
What speed is the wireless card in your wife's laptop?
Stom

Post by Stom »

Numbers wrote:
Stom wrote:

Puja

The same as mine, we're both using Macs. I have no idea, lol. If I get 260mb/s, she can get the same, hers is younger than mine.
Numbers

Post by Numbers »

Stom wrote:
Numbers wrote:
Stom wrote:

The same as mine, we're both using Macs. I have no idea, lol. If I get 260mb/s, she can get the same, hers is younger than mine.
H
ave you tried the wife's laptop in the same room yours works in?
Stom

Post by Stom »

Numbers wrote:
Stom wrote:
Numbers wrote:
H
ave you tried the wife's laptop in the same room yours works in?
Yes. We've tried it down and it's good. I've gone up with my computer and it's bad. I also tried moving the router as close to the door to this room as the cables would allow and she got better performance, so it's definitely the signal from this router...

I might, actually, simply buy a long ethernet cable and power cable and move the router outside of this room, if possible.
Stom

Post by Stom »

Managed to do it without extenders.

Got a 15m flat LAN cable, that I've attached to the skirting board, the main router is now in the other corner of the room (nice side effect is that the cable is a lot neater now), and the WiFi router is in the stairwell. 145mb/s up in the corner now, so that's a huge difference and it only cost me around £20 for new power cables and LAN cable.

Going to build a little stand for the WiFi router, too, so it's more stable and sits more comfortably, but happy with the solution.
Puja

Post by Puja »

Tbh, wired is almost always the best solution if it can be done. Good work!

Also, just seen your q about the rings. It does (usually) work if they're not on the same ring, as they'll all meet up together at the fuse box (assuming wiring within the last 20-odd years) and the internet can go from one to t'other. It's not ideal though, as that is the long way round (and sometimes over rough road), so it is better if they're on the same ring.

Puja
Backist Monk
Buggaluggs

Post by Buggaluggs »

My house is going through a bit of work right now and it would be a good time to improve the wifi. My thought was to put a switch in the basement that can power poe devices and connecto to my internet router. Run ethernet to available spots on the ground floor and maybe upstairs. Can someone recommend good poe access points? Ideally I'd like a single wifi which I think is called a 'mesh'. But defer to those with greater knowledge. I will probably need 3 access points as the house is awful for wifi coverage.

Edit. It would be good if the access points also allowed for a direct ethernet connection as well/