Commonwelfs 2022 - Brummagem

Galfon

Re: Commonwelfs 2022 - Brummagem

Post by Galfon »

Remarkable physique that B Proud has ( how apt, that name..).
Plenty of land-work (pull-ups) apparently ;
eta..takes no breffs over the 50m, first gold in pool - new GR.
bravo.
Galfon

Post by Galfon »

Rugby latest -
Men - QF's:
Fij 34 7 Sco, SA 33 0 Can, NZ 31 0 Ken, Aus 7 0 Sam
SF:  NZ v Fij, Aus v SA

Women - SF's:
Aus 17 - 12 NZ, Fij 24 - Can 7 
F: Aus v. Fij.
canta_brian

Post by canta_brian »

The Fiji NZ semi was quite a match. Fiji failing to pass just before the end of normal time with a 2 man advantage almost as daft as NZ throwing a stupid intercept pass in the last play before half time rather than kicking it out and going in 14-0 up.
Last edited by canta_brian on Mon Aug 01, 2022 6:43 am, edited 1 time in total.
Galfon

Post by Galfon »

Velodrome not bearing great fruits for Eng either - a few nasty accidents thrown in too; no gold to date and medal rankings order..NZ-> Aus->Sco-> Wal :|
J Dory

Post by J Dory »

I asked some of my French friends if they new about the Commonwealth games, blank expressions were returned. When I explained it, they came back with "oh, so it's the Olympics for English speakers only?". Doesn't get much coverage here in Canada.
Which Tyler

Post by Which Tyler »

Surprised at a lack of coverage in Canada TBH, but in France? Why would they care?
I also doubt that it has any awareness at all in Germany, Greece or Brazil.

French wife and nice are still loving it though, great to see some non-olympic sports (esp. squash), some lesser lights of lesser nations, really showing how good the top of the class are (esp. gymnastics), and utter confusion as to what on earth is Netball
Mellsblue

Post by Mellsblue »

I’m guessing French speaking Canadians but, yep, if your nation isn’t involved then why would you care, beyond being a complete sports nut.
Galfon

Post by Galfon »

J Dory wrote:.. "oh, so it's the Olympics for English speakers only?". Doesn't get much coverage here in Canada.
Well no, there's a few francophone African countries participating..unlike the what seems the more recent mimic version 'Jeux de la francophonie' , for French speakers;
I'm sure anyone who does & follows sport in Can. are interested, but can undestand some Quebeccies giving it a bye.
J Dory

Post by J Dory »

There is some interest in Canada, but little TV coverage as compared to the Pan-Am games. Was always a big deal back in NZ.
Puja

Post by Puja »

J Dory wrote:I asked some of my French friends if they new about the Commonwealth games, blank expressions were returned. When I explained it, they came back with "oh, so it's the Olympics for English speakers only?".
Country not involved in sporting competition has very little knowledge of sporting competition. News at 10.

Puja
Backist Monk
Which Tyler

Post by Which Tyler »

J Dory wrote:There is some interest in Canada, but little TV coverage as compared to the Pan-Am games. Was always a big deal back in NZ.
Surprisingly, the Pan-Am games also get little attention in France...
J Dory

Post by J Dory »

The French friends I was referring to live in (and have for many years) Canada. The fact they didn't even know what it was surprised me. But whatever, not sure what my point was, maybe trying to understand whether the importance of the games was diminishing within Commonwealth countries or just/even in Canada.
Galfon

Post by Galfon »

J Dory wrote:..whether the importance of the games was diminishing within Commonwealth countries or just/even in Canada.
A nice enduring aspect to these games is that they are not taken as very important, whilst still valued by compeitors and spectators alike. All those involved this year appear to have given their all and enjoyed the experience, well attended too.
Banquo

Post by Banquo »

Galfon wrote:
J Dory wrote:..whether the importance of the games was diminishing within Commonwealth countries or just/even in Canada.
A nice enduring aspect to these games is that they are not taken as very important, whilst still valued by compeitors and spectators alike. All those involved this year appear to have given their all and enjoyed the experience, well attended too.
Very highly valued by the crowds, which have been huge and brilliant. Great games- standard very high, notably in the pool and for the gymnastics.
Banquo

Post by Banquo »

J Dory wrote:The French friends I was referring to live in (and have for many years) Canada. The fact they didn't even know what it was surprised me. But whatever, not sure what my point was, maybe trying to understand whether the importance of the games was diminishing within Commonwealth countries or just/even in Canada.
Probably because french canadians would probably just want to ignore the commonwealth. It seemed to be an important games for the Canadian athletes, and especially so for many of the commonwealth athletes eg India. Athletics a bit less so for many, given a fair few went to the diamond league (which itself was sandwiched between the worlds and europeans).

Its been a great event, so those who tuned out have missed out imo. Significant global reach as well and great to integrate the para sports.
Banquo

Post by Banquo »

closing ceremony was a right larf. Ozzy lives! (just)
fivepointer

Post by fivepointer »

Enjoyed a fair bit of it. Emily Campbells weightlifting gold was great and the womens hockey win was terrific. We've got some top notch divers and gymnasts.
Cycling a bit of a let down.
Cant help feeling there just wasnt enough swimming. Can they introduce a 5th stroke to bump up the medals available?
Banquo

Post by Banquo »

fivepointer wrote:Enjoyed a fair bit of it. Emily Campbells weightlifting gold was great and the womens hockey win was terrific. We've got some top notch divers and gymnasts.
Cycling a bit of a let down.
Cant help feeling there just wasnt enough swimming. Can they introduce a 5th stroke to bump up the medals available?
:lol: :lol: :lol:

cycling was a let down because we have fallen a way behind- the quality was good, just not from England. Athletics was a bit average from an english POV too. But in other sports, very good. We stretch across a lot of disciplines for better or worse; think the netball and cricket teams will have a good soul searching, and both england's 7's teams were a bit lame.