SLAR expanding to North America

Moderator: Puja

Puja

SLAR expanding to North America

Post by Puja »

https://www.americasrugbynews.com/2022/ ... s-in-2023/

First thoughts - if there was no MLR, this would be great news. As MLR is there and still struggling for traction, what the fuck and why the fuck? Apart from Glendale's inherent need to be special snowflakes, of course.

Puja
Backist Monk
Mellsblue

Re: SLAR expanding to North America

Post by Mellsblue »

I thought teams need the home union’s permission to play in any given comp? Surely US Rugby, or whatever they are called, haven’t given this the thumbs up?!?!?
Puja

Post by Puja »

Mellsblue wrote: Fri Oct 07, 2022 8:36 am I thought teams need the home union’s permission to play in any given comp? Surely US Rugby, or whatever they are called, haven’t given this the thumbs up?!?!?
Everything's all still rumours and hearsay at the moment, but I understand that MLR's sanction isn't guaranteed as exclusive and, if USAR think they can get something out of this, especially if Glendale are using crossover and local athletes, why wouldn't they? I can't see Glendale getting anything other than royally stuffed, mind - they're nowhere near as good as they think they are.

On the Canadian side, they desperately need more professional opportunities and their development programme is based in Vancouver, over the other side of the country from their only pro side. Without someone wishing to pay the exhorbitant MLR expansion fee, this could be their only shot for a second pro team.

What I want to know is who's going to pay for all this. Regular flights to and from Chile and Argentina are not cheap, nor is running a fully pro team. I know World Rugby are providing some of the money for SLAR generally, but surely they're not going to put in more to airlift in North American sides?

Puja
Backist Monk
morepork

Post by morepork »

Another stellar business plan.