Snooker World Championships

WaspInWales

Snooker World Championships

Post by WaspInWales »

It's that time of year again.

Anyone else been watching?

Quite a few big names including former winners have fallen at the first hurdle. Reigning champ Bingham is out as is Robertson, Dott, Murphy and Ebdon. Trump is struggling against Liang Wenbo who is playing some superb snooker.

BBC iPlayer are showing some Crucible classics at the moment. I was watching a few featuring Davis, White and Taylor and was shocked at the quality. I used to think these guys were amazing but some of the misses were astonishing. Am I being a little harsh or were my memories created through rose tinted specs and I ignored those mistakes?

I appreciate the there was a lot of pressure on players back then, just as there is now, but perhaps the modern player has more access to psychologists and techniques to help deal with such things.
cymroo

Re: Snooker World Championships

Post by cymroo »

WaspInWales wrote:It's that time of year again.

Quite a few big names including former winners have fallen at the first hurdle. Reigning champ Bingham is out as is Robertson, Dott, Murphy and Ebdon. Trump is struggling against Liang Wenbo who is playing some superb snooker.

BBC iPlayer are showing some Crucible classics at the moment. I was watching a few featuring Davis, White and Taylor and was shocked at the quality. I used to think these guys were amazing but some of the misses were astonishing. Am I being a little harsh or were my memories created through rose tinted specs and I ignored those mistakes?

I appreciate the there was a lot of pressure on players back then, just as there is now, but perhaps the modern player has more access to psychologists and techniques to help deal with such things.
every sport evolves, even Cruyff or Edwards would look average against modern players. plus the baize is totally different these days and allows a lot more run and spin and positional play
Numbers

Post by Numbers »

cymroo wrote:
WaspInWales wrote:It's that time of year again.

every sport evolves, even Cruyff or Edwards would look average against modern players. plus the baize is totally different these days and allows a lot more run and spin and positional play
The balls are also a lot lighter.
WaspInWales

Post by WaspInWales »

Aye. All good points.

Was just shocked to see some of the misses. White's were perhaps understandable as he was probably off his tits.

Trump has done well to win his first round match.
Big D

Post by Big D »

I think the tables and player/game evolution are the key points.

The baize is a lot better quality and is tables are re-laid frequently during the championship. In the old days the tables were not re-laid anywhere near as often and were thicker to allow them to last the championships. As manufacturing gets better the equipment gets better. That allows far greater control.

Because the players are playing a lot more now and there is a tour open to many (top 124?) then the overall standard is driven higher due to competition. I have also noticed that players are a lot more attacking now than they used to be, partly because the tables are better but partly because that is the way players play these days.

As Cymroo says it is part of the evolution of all sports, and I'm thankful sport continues to evolve.
WaspInWales

Post by WaspInWales »

Final frame decider between O'Sullivan and Hawkins is going to be a bit of a nail-biter. Hawkins currently in but to get enough points from this visit will be a massive effort considering where the red balls are.
WaspInWales

Post by WaspInWales »

Ding is playing very well. Probably worth a punt for the championship.
Numbers

Post by Numbers »

WaspInWales wrote:Ding is playing very well. Probably worth a punt for the championship.
I have a feeling if he gets to the final he may bottle it, Selby for me.
WaspInWales

Post by WaspInWales »

How about a Fu V Ding final?
WaspInWales

Post by WaspInWales »

Fu goes through to the semi after a high quality, but nervy quarter final against Hawkins. Great effort by Hawkins to fight his way back from 9-1 down to lose 13-11.

The tension was palpable at times.
WaspInWales

Post by WaspInWales »

WaspInWales wrote:How about a Fu V Ding final?
There's a good chance this can happen and tbh, I think it would be good for the game. Snooker is hugely popular in some Asian countries and there's already a huge amount of sponsorship money originating from China.
WaspInWales

Post by WaspInWales »

I'm finding it difficult to listen to John Virgo. Never been a fan of his commentary.
WaspInWales

Post by WaspInWales »

Pleased for Ding. He has played some fantastic snooker.
WaspInWales

Re: RE: Re: Snooker World Championships

Post by WaspInWales »

Numbers wrote:
WaspInWales wrote:Ding is playing very well. Probably worth a punt for the championship.
I have a feeling if he gets to the final he may bottle it, Selby for me.
Good call!

Sent from my SM-N920G using Tapatalk
WaspInWales

Post by WaspInWales »

Glad Ding has gotten into the match. It's shaping up to be a good'un.
WaspInWales

Post by WaspInWales »

How on earth is Virgo still a commentator?
WaspInWales

Post by WaspInWales »

Came close to tearing up listening to Steve Davis and his memories.
WaspInWales

Post by WaspInWales »

G'wan Ding!!!!
WaspInWales

Post by WaspInWales »

What a shot on that penultimate red!
WaspInWales

Post by WaspInWales »

Leicester double!

Well done Selby. Attritional stuff at times but a great final all the same.
WaspInWales

Post by WaspInWales »

As finals go, it's been a bit shit this year.

It's a shame that Ding faced O'Sullivan in the quarters as that was one match that would have lived up to a final billing.

Is Ding ever going to lift the trophy? He has to be one of the best to not win it so far. What a good player.

Selby has played some shockingly poor shots so far in the final. Questions were asked about the state of the table for the final and I'm sure he'll come good tomorrow. I'd still have him as favourite even though he's 3 frames down. He's been very good otherwise.

Higgins 'previous' when it comes to match fixing allegations doesn't sit right with me and he just seems a miserable cunt. Fair play though, he has played some decent stuff this week and is there on merit, considering he hasn't had to beat anyone ranked higher than himself...same can be said of Selby too given that he is ranked #1.
Big D

Post by Big D »

WaspInWales wrote:As finals go, it's been a bit shit this year.

It's a shame that Ding faced O'Sullivan in the quarters as that was one match that would have lived up to a final billing.

Is Ding ever going to lift the trophy? He has to be one of the best to not win it so far. What a good player.

Selby has played some shockingly poor shots so far in the final. Questions were asked about the state of the table for the final and I'm sure he'll come good tomorrow. I'd still have him as favourite even though he's 3 frames down. He's been very good otherwise.

Higgins 'previous' when it comes to match fixing allegations doesn't sit right with me and he just seems a miserable cunt. Fair play though, he has played some decent stuff this week and is there on merit, considering he hasn't had to beat anyone ranked higher than himself...same can be said of Selby too given that he is ranked #1.
Yeah Higgins can GTF after the fixing stuff. Got a totally bollocks ban too IIRC.

Selby was the class in the field. Was a bit off in the first session and a half but he is head and shoulders above the rest as it stands. He has more than double the ranking points of the No2 in the world.
Galfon

Post by Galfon »

Galfon

Post by Galfon »

superlime...(the table colour..)
Some tough shots for Wilson to deal with towards the end...tidy work :)
https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/av/snooker/65325801
Galfon

Post by Galfon »

Lots to marvel at...certainly not past his Selby date.
Cue control, positioning, nerves.. :shock:
Luca's just as good - he could Brecel records for a European (mainland..) here. Top quality final, verily.
https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/snooker/65443883