Cocky Aussies

Moderator: Sandydragon

normanski

Cocky Aussies

Post by normanski »

I see Giteau and Genia are forecasting Wales will dumped out of the RWC group stage by Australia and Fiji.

I love it when Aussies get on their high horse and their cockiness shows through. What they have to be careful of is that Fiji and ourselves don’t give the a bit of a rogering instead. Hopefully, arrogance under loud mouth Eddie will be their downfall.
Son of Mathonwy

Re: Cocky Aussies

Post by Son of Mathonwy »

More fuel to our motivational fire. Keep it up guys.
Sandydragon

Post by Sandydragon »

normanski wrote: Thu Jun 01, 2023 1:21 pm I see Giteau and Genia are forecasting Wales will dumped out of the RWC group stage by Australia and Fiji.

I love it when Aussies get on their high horse and their cockiness shows through. What they have to be careful of is that Fiji and ourselves don’t give the a bit of a rogering instead. Hopefully, arrogance under loud mouth Eddie will be their downfall.
Sadly I find it hard to disagree with them. Fiji are a huge threat. But I am hoping that an extended period with the Welsh management will bring some kind of reward.
Wallpaperman

Post by Wallpaperman »

Sandydragon wrote: Thu Jun 01, 2023 6:36 pm
normanski wrote: Thu Jun 01, 2023 1:21 pm I see Giteau and Genia are forecasting Wales will dumped out of the RWC group stage by Australia and Fiji.

Sadly I find it hard to disagree with them. Fiji are a huge threat. But I am hoping that an extended period with the Welsh management will bring some kind of reward.
Agreed, they should at the very least be in peak condition at the World Cup.
normanski

Post by normanski »

One thing that’s always (well nearly always) helped us against Fiji is our fitness in the last quarter of the match.

Gatland’s conditioning team really have a job to get the squad to peak fitness by September. Both games against Australia and Fiji are likely to be close and we only need one win to go through to the knockout stages. Not an impossible task.

As Richie McCaw was saying recently Wales, Australia and Fiji all have the ability to wreak a bit of carnage in France.
Sandydragon

Post by Sandydragon »

The bright side (if you can call it that) is that expectations are below minimal for us in the competition. If wales can start well then we could shock a few people.

And it will be interesting to see just how much our six nations poor performance was the result of the off field shenanigans.
normanski

Post by normanski »

Sandydragon wrote: Sat Jun 03, 2023 3:08 pm The bright side (if you can call it that) is that expectations are below minimal for us in the competition. If wales can start well then we could shock a few people.

And it will be interesting to see just how much our six nations poor performance was the result of the off field shenanigans.
There’s no doubt the off-field shenanigans did have an affect on 6N performance. At their height, we played England and that was a game we could have won if our mindset was right and England hadn’t cheated a try from a line out.

I like us being underrated and the fact we have Fiji first up adds a little spice. We usually start tournaments a little slowly so it’s up to Gatland and his coaches to get the side at peak performance from the off. A win would give us the start we need and it would fire up the Fijians to let fly at Australia.

If we get through to the knockout stages then we’re on the right side of the draw to progress. But first things first we need to go through from the group.
Son of Mathonwy

normanski wrote: Sun Jun 04, 2023 1:12 pm
Sandydragon wrote: Sat Jun 03, 2023 3:08 pm The bright side (if you can call it that) is that expectations are below minimal for us in the competition. If wales can start well then we could shock a few people.

There’s no doubt the off-field shenanigans did have an affect on 6N performance. At their height, we played England and that was a game we could have won if our mindset was right and England hadn’t cheated a try from a line out.

I like us being underrated and the fact we have Fiji first up adds a little spice. We usually start tournaments a little slowly so it’s up to Gatland and his coaches to get the side at peak performance from the off. A win would give us the start we need and it would fire up the Fijians to let fly at Australia.

If we get through to the knockout stages then we’re on the right side of the draw to progress. But first things first we need to go through from the group.
It's tough for us to face Fiji first without a more gentle warmup. But that's true for Fiji too. And it's as much of a must-win for them as it is for us (since history tells us that beating Australia in a world cup is ... not exactly something we can rely on). So the months of training must, must get us that 80-minute game to beat Fiji.
pompey-zebra

Post by pompey-zebra »

Perhaps not so cocky now, after yesterday. Ok, they wouldnt be the first team to go to South Africa and get stuffed, but the Boks were sharper and too powerful for Australia despite looking rusty themsleves on times. It wasn't all power either, the Boks looked dangerous from open play too.
UKHamlet
Site Admin

Post by UKHamlet »

Aussie progress is by no means assured and it may well be them getting an early plane home. They look shit.
normanski

Post by normanski »

I don’t disagree but they do have a habit of raising their game against us and sneaking a narrow and late win.

If they have fallen back, as most of us think, then Gatland ought to be plotting a hiding for them to send them home with their tails between their legs.
Son of Mathonwy

History is well against us but they are looking as beatable as they are ever likely to be. Hopefully we won't need the win but let's take this chance.
Puja

Post by Puja »

Son of Mathonwy wrote: Wed Aug 02, 2023 5:30 pm History is well against us but they are looking as beatable as they are ever likely to be. Hopefully we won't need the win but let's take this chance.
I'm quite enthused by the idea of Australia losing to both you and Fiji, something which is very far from impossible.

Puja
Backist Monk
Sandydragon

Post by Sandydragon »

Puja wrote: Wed Aug 02, 2023 5:48 pm
Son of Mathonwy wrote: Wed Aug 02, 2023 5:30 pm History is well against us but they are looking as beatable as they are ever likely to be. Hopefully we won't need the win but let's take this chance.
I'm quite enthused by the idea of Australia losing to both you and Fiji, something which is very far from impossible.

Puja
Fair play, a lot of people would piss themselves laughing.

Equally we could lose to both. Or Fiji could flatter to deceive. It’s anyone’s group really.
Puja

Post by Puja »

Sandydragon wrote: Wed Aug 02, 2023 10:18 pm

Puja

Equally we could lose to both. Or Fiji could flatter to deceive. It’s anyone’s group really.
Fiji have been dealt something of a blow in Peceli Yato and Ratuniyarawa having to withdraw because of Top14 contracts. I can't believe that's still happening in 2023.

Puja
Backist Monk
Sandydragon

Post by Sandydragon »

Puja wrote: Wed Aug 02, 2023 10:35 pm

Puja

Fiji have been dealt something of a blow in Peceli Yato and Ratuniyarawa having to withdraw because of Top14 contracts. I can't believe that's still happening in 2023.

Puja
Buyers market at the moment. Cory Hill had to promise not to play for Wales to get a contract. I totally agree, it shouldn’t be happening.
Son of Mathonwy

Sandydragon wrote: Thu Aug 03, 2023 10:34 am
Puja wrote: Wed Aug 02, 2023 10:35 pm

Puja
Buyers market at the moment. Cory Hill had to promise not to play for Wales to get a contract. I totally agree, it shouldn’t be happening.
Rhys Webb also unavailable for the same reason.
Lizard

Post by Lizard »

Well, Fiji have fairly easily disposed of Tonga (featuring several ex-ABs and Wallabies) and Samoa, and right now are looking pretty good against a 14-man Japan.
UKHamlet
Site Admin

Post by UKHamlet »

Fiji and Aus will be tough games, but now we're back to a defensively solid game played by very fit players, we're in with a chance of winning both games. Georgia will be a revenge mission and I expect us to crush them. Portugal will then win as we rest players.