Football thread

Slater582

Re: Football thread

Post by Slater582 »

Puja wrote: Sun Aug 06, 2023 6:30 pm Bizarre tournament so far, with the USA the latest fancied team to tumble out early - losing to Sweden on the basis of some ridiculous saves from the Swedish keeper and then somehow losing on penalties from a position of only needing to score to win twice, and then losing to a penalty that was half saved, but just crept over the line before the keeper scrambled it away. Highlights on the BBC are worth a watch.

England will never have a better chance to win the World Cup than this, although I'd imagine that's also what the USA were thinking this morning.

Puja
England very lucky to scrape past Nigeria...but I'll take it. :)
Banquo

Post by Banquo »

Slater582 wrote: Mon Aug 07, 2023 11:30 am
Puja wrote: Sun Aug 06, 2023 6:30 pm Bizarre tournament so far, with the USA the latest fancied team to tumble out early - losing to Sweden on the basis of some ridiculous saves from the Swedish keeper and then somehow losing on penalties from a position of only needing to score to win twice, and then losing to a penalty that was half saved, but just crept over the line before the keeper scrambled it away. Highlights on the BBC are worth a watch.

England will never have a better chance to win the World Cup than this, although I'd imagine that's also what the USA were thinking this morning.

Puja
England very lucky to scrape past Nigeria...but I'll take it. :)
Indeed. Ridiculous by James as well.
Galfon

Post by Galfon »

Solid work there by Eng against a lively and skilfull Colombian outfit. Oz next in the semis, revenge for the Netball perhaps.. :?
Puja

Post by Puja »

What a goal that is from Toone. First time, technically beautiful strike, and absolutely unsaveable for any goalkeeper.

Puja
Backist Monk
Mr Mwenda

Post by Mr Mwenda »

Smart day at the office all round for the lionesses.

It's a pity foopball sucks but nice that my team is doing well!
Galfon

Post by Galfon »

Wish same could be said..
It's the John McGinn derby for next qual. round in the Conf. league, Hibees v Villa :)
1st leg at Easter Rd.next Wed (not Thu as Jam Tarts at home too)
5.45 k/o as CL matches also that night.Injuries to key players and pounding by the Toon will have jolted Villa somewhat..

Women's Final 11.00 Sun, showing on Beeb 1.
Must have a chance, James should get some game time and warm reception no doubt. :|
Mr Mwenda

Post by Mr Mwenda »

The English sporting summer of dashed hopes continued then. Chiz.
cashead

Post by cashead »

No no, it was better this way. Spain winning was the worst thing that could have happened to their FA, and it is incredible.
I'm a god
How can you kill a god?
Shame on you, sweet Nerevar
Galfon

Post by Galfon »

also..Messi's latest goal for the Pinks v. NY Red Bulls was pure genius.
Pity he's opted for more me-time tbh, but good to see he's enjoying himself again ! :)