Game One - Scotland v South Africa

Moderator: OptimisticJock

Jocky

Re: Game One - Scotland v South Africa

Post by Jocky »

Unfortunately those were the ten minutes that counted and we had no answer to it. Our lineout in particular was such a disappointment because we couldn't get any attacking platform - our scrum on our own put in was a disaster. On a completely different note, I'm loving the choirs singing the national anthems and the fact they are from disadvantaged backgrounds makes the the heart warm.
Cameo

Post by Cameo »

Donny osmond wrote: Sun Sep 10, 2023 7:16 pm I mean, outside of 10 mins at the start of the 2nd half, we actually went toe to toe with SA and did ok.
Yeah, our defence was very good and we even dealt well with their mauls while not giving away many penalties.

Just in attack we got no go forward. A lot of that was good South African defence, but I wish we had had the chance to try and impose our game plan on it. Our two good moves were off set piece (kind of, with the freekick off the scrum), but most of the time we had to try and create momentum from nothing. Against other teams, we might be able to do that. Against South Africa, no chance unless we already have them rattled or blowing.

I don't even think South Africa put that much pressure on us at lineout time. We blew it there.
Jocky

Post by Jocky »

Accuracy, which was in our own hands, killed us. We were competitive, which was frustrating, but we never got going. At HT I thought we might push on but obviously SA had a different script. Deserved win for Boks. Let's face it, our style of rugby isn't going to win a world cup and we have to be realistic - other teams are able to get further because of their ability to grind out results and we aren't like that. All to do now, but this just highlights the deficiency in our game, especially in this tournament.
Cameo

Post by Cameo »

SA blitz was crazy. I think we had a plan to get round the blitz if it was wider out but South Africa blitzed both sides of Russell. He had to work really hard even to drop a short pass off to a runner.

I don't know if we didn't try any variation or whether the linespeed was just so quick that we couldn't get any different shapes to work. Would love to have seen us put their defence under some pressure and make them react to us, but their plan A was enough.
Which Tyler

Post by Which Tyler »

Cameo wrote: Mon Sep 11, 2023 8:55 am SA blitz was crazy. I think we had a plan to get round the blitz if it was wider out but South Africa blitzed both sides of Russell. He had to work really hard even to drop a short pass off to a runner.
Yep, SA were blitzing with 3 men - 1 fairy close either side, and another further out in the direction he was looking to go; taking out the option of a long loopy pass.
By the time he knew that option had been taken away, he'd only really been left with the option of a short pass to reset - and it was the same again after the reset.
sharvey44

Post by sharvey44 »

Got back from Marseilles at silly o'clock this morning.

Dared to dream at half time after that scrum.

2nd half we were unable to get a foothold.

If anyone was thinking about heading to Marseille for any of the games...dont. What a colossal clusterf*ck of a place.
Mikey Brown

Post by Mikey Brown »

Yeah, it felt like we’d worked out an attacking shape specifically for SA’s defence, but they had preempted this and completely shut Russell (‘s options) down.

This seemed to feed in to our desperate play. There was one really stupid offload Russell did to Zander Fagerson when we were basically going backwards. We lost the ball having had some fairly decent momentum, another daft penalty and we were back on our 22.

SA very impressive, but such a shame we didn’t really manage to make a dent with any of our big carriers. Tuipulotu hardly touched the ball. Had one fantastic run and then we turned it over next phase. Really frustrating stuff.

Lineout just turned to shit as soon as we left our half. I don’t mean to assume it’s Turner’s fault but we are where we are, would Cherry improve things?
stevedog1980

Post by stevedog1980 »

The lineout just looked overly complicated, could have been Turners throwing, just as easily could have been Ritchies jumping position or the lifters not getting to full extension. We just looked to have been spooked by their lineout jumpers. I’d have liked to see some front ball or even the short pass to the front lifter just to secure possession.

SA line speed was ridiculous, haven’t watched it back but at the time there were a few where I thought they’d jumped the gun. I’d fully expected us to be monstered inside the first 20 minutes, the fact we were still in it at half time made the second half much harder to take.

Positives are that we can’t go out of the tournament after the first game, need to build and improve, make sure we get as good results from the next 2 games and put ourselves in a position to have a right crack at it
Spiffy

Post by Spiffy »

Big D wrote: Sun Sep 10, 2023 7:08 pm Congrats SA they're the team to beat for me.

We got "South Africa'd" in that game. I mean that as a compliment; big, physical and great depth. Hardest match up of all countries for Scotland.
Ahh now - Wait till yiz meet Ireland ;)
Got some sleep

Post by Got some sleep »

The line-out looked like we had a bad case of the yips. A bad case that probably started a month ago with the coaches. We were trying all sorts, and maybe showed the SA line-out a bit too much respect? Not sure what impact it'd have on morale if the coaches say "right, we need a whole new box of fancy tricks for this one". And on-field, why didn't we just try the basic fall-back of yes it's obvs going to the front, but we just get our guy up quick and high?

And yes, the targeting of Russell not by running at him but by removing his options was impressive. I don't think I've ever seen Russell not knowing what to do before. I'm a bit disappointed that the back three didn't come in more to help him out (was Kinghorn ever at first receiver?). I know we want to get the ball in their hands out wide, but that was just patently not working, and surely (I say, having only ever played 40 minutes in the backs) that's just a basic thing to try?

Spiffy, I'm not ruling out that we get a result against Ireland (or ruling in a result against Tonga), but I'd like to see us thinking on our feet a bit more. (Going back to line-outs, not pressuring vd Vlier springs to mind....)
Mikey Brown

Post by Mikey Brown »

I guess we banked everything on being able to attack wide quickly and going long in the lineout makes that a lot easier.

Once again felt like we didn’t really have a plan B though.
Big D

Post by Big D »

Cherry on way home due to injury. Rambo called up.
francoisfou

Post by francoisfou »

Big D wrote: Thu Sep 14, 2023 10:09 am Cherry on way home due to injury. Rambo called up.
From what I’ve read on Midi Olympique, he fell down the hotel stairs. Can anyone confirm that?
Mikey Brown

Post by Mikey Brown »

What a shame for Cherry. Isn't Ashman also a concern at the moment? McInally could be straight in the 23 if so.
Big D

Post by Big D »

francoisfou wrote: Thu Sep 14, 2023 10:47 am
Big D wrote: Thu Sep 14, 2023 10:09 am Cherry on way home due to injury. Rambo called up.
From what I’ve read on Midi Olympique, he fell down the hotel stairs. Can anyone confirm that?
Seems to be the story. Slipped and concussed.
francoisfou

Post by francoisfou »

Big D wrote: Thu Sep 14, 2023 1:48 pm
francoisfou wrote: Thu Sep 14, 2023 10:47 am
Seems to be the story. Slipped and concussed.
Are Famous Grouse still sponsors of Scottish rugby ;)
sharvey44

Post by sharvey44 »

Have it on very good authority, no alcohol involved.

Missed a step, slipped, knocked out cold.

As Ashman is also on return to play protocols they couldn't have both on them so DC went home.

Fingers crossed he gets through the RTP quickly and is available again should injuries arise.
switchskier

Post by switchskier »

Pretty gutting for Cherry but I'm oddly pleased that McInally gets one last hurrah. Thought he looked pretty good in the warm ups
Got some sleep

Post by Got some sleep »

Tough for Cherry (needs to work on his footwork), but great that MacInally has a chance for a 50th cap.