NZ Vs Italy

Moderator: morepork

Lizard

Re: NZ Vs Italy

Post by Lizard »

The two best things are the All Blacks' accuracy and ruthlessness in Italy's 22 - haven't seen that for a while, and conceding only 2 penalties to Italy's 8. Good discipline.
morepork

Post by morepork »

Lizard wrote: Fri Sep 29, 2023 8:52 pm The two best things are the All Blacks' accuracy and ruthlessness in Italy's 22 - haven't seen that for a while, and conceding only 2 penalties to Italy's 8. Good discipline.
About time.
Lizard

Post by Lizard »

morepork wrote: Fri Sep 29, 2023 9:00 pm
Lizard wrote: Fri Sep 29, 2023 8:52 pm The two best things are the All Blacks' accuracy and ruthlessness in Italy's 22 - haven't seen that for a while, and conceding only 2 penalties to Italy's 8. Good discipline.
About time.
Ha. Doubled the penalty count inside 3 minutes of the 2nd half...
Lizard

Post by Lizard »

Looks like the ABs have decided to go back to the "ill-discipline & inaccuracy" strategy.

Lucky the Italian lineout is not great.
Which Tyler

Post by Which Tyler »

morepork wrote: Fri Sep 29, 2023 9:00 pm About time.
TBF, the All Blacks committed a LOT more than 2 penalty offences, it's just that Carley refuses to ever penalise the side with the ball - which was pretty much always NZ.

As you can see in the second half, now that Italy have a little possession, and the ABs are now getting pinged
cashead

Post by cashead »

morepork wrote: Fri Sep 29, 2023 8:41 pm Is DMac on the bench?
Yep.
I'm a god
How can you kill a god?
Shame on you, sweet Nerevar
canta_brian

Post by canta_brian »

Sam Cane doing a good job of making sure he never gets the opportunity to disgrace the jersey again.
morepork

Post by morepork »

cashead wrote: Fri Sep 29, 2023 9:16 pm
morepork wrote: Fri Sep 29, 2023 8:41 pm Is DMac on the bench?
Yep.
BOOM.
Son of Mathonwy

Post by Son of Mathonwy »

cashead wrote: Fri Sep 29, 2023 7:50 pm That Italian 14 looks like a minor antagonist in JoJo’s Bizarre Adventure. I wonder what his Stand can do.
It would have to be a musical reference, so - unfortunately for Italy - I'm thinking Beck and Loser.
oldprussians

Post by oldprussians »

Well done guys.... Italy broke their mind on the 2nd or 3rd try. those were psychological triggers and it was good night Vienna. My only sadness is that Italy are worth more than that humiliation
Lizard

Post by Lizard »

oldprussians wrote: Sat Sep 30, 2023 2:22 pm Well done guys.... Italy broke their mind on the 2nd or 3rd try. those were psychological triggers and it was good night Vienna. My only sadness is that Italy are worth more than that humiliation
Well, no other team except Namibia has faced an All Blacks team in a RWC that has lost a pool game, and has their backs against the wall in a must win situation.

Post by oldprussians »

Lizard wrote: Sat Sep 30, 2023 2:40 pm
oldprussians wrote: Sat Sep 30, 2023 2:22 pm Well done guys.... Italy broke their mind on the 2nd or 3rd try. those were psychological triggers and it was good night Vienna. My only sadness is that Italy are worth more than that humiliation
Well, no other team except Namibia has faced an All Blacks team in a RWC that has lost a pool game, and has their backs against the wall in a must win situation.
Yea but it is not the defeat I am worried about it is the way it happened. Italy just surrendered that was not a performance that matched the ones vs France or Ireland... clearly mentally broken. I want to know why
Lizard

Post by Lizard »

I guess when you’ve never beaten a team, or even come close, and they get 2 or 3 quick tries right at the start, it’s pretty hard to maintain belief.

Post by oldprussians »

Lizard wrote: Sat Sep 30, 2023 10:43 pm I guess when you’ve never beaten a team, or even come close, and they get 2 or 3 quick tries right at the start, it’s pretty hard to maintain belief.
IMHO I think Crowley got it completely wrong and primed them for the mental breakdown.

If you remember the first game of his tenure was against the AB's and the did a lot lot better and the AB had find a way of winning.

And back then it was simply respect and credibility, and concentrate on performance not the result.

As a result they were in the game for 65 mins, and never collapsed even when they lost.

Here they are a better team and did fare worse.

Crowley did very well for Italy, and saved them, and did bring respect and credibility, but he is not perfect and made some huge mistakes, and was himself saved by Capuozzo a player that was forced on him, or that he didn't want :)

the defeat in Georgia was his fault. he changed the team the put 80 on Romania to shoe horn in Brex hi pet player

So he is a really good man manager but not perfect.

Now France. Ironically this is his last scheduled game so the player might actually be brought back up for it... The Quesada might sort the mental sh1t out
Lizard

Post by Lizard »

Well, good luck with France. I hope you win (but not with both Italy and France getting 1 BP, if NZ doesn't get winning BP v Uruguay)
morepork

Post by morepork »

OP....great insight. Thanks.
oldprussians

Post by oldprussians »

Lizard wrote: Sun Oct 01, 2023 11:52 pm Well, good luck with France. I hope you win (but not with both Italy and France getting 1 BP, if NZ doesn't get winning BP v Uruguay)
morepork wrote: Mon Oct 02, 2023 12:38 am OP....great insight. Thanks.
Latterly do not know what will happen.... If they have their heads screwed on right they can play their chances.

Although that mental collapse confirmed by the captain himself after 3 trys, and mentioned in an interview 3 weeks ago from Marius Goosen worries me.

I thought those days were well an truly over, where for 2 years with Crowley it ha stopped. I mean if the ABs won by 25 or less in last 10 I would have been disappointed but tipped my hat the the ABs

But that was just surreal