Scotland v Ireland

Home of our Rugby World Cup Discussions.
Official France 2023 website here: https://www.rugbyworldcup.com/2023

Moderator: Puja

Donny osmond

Scotland v Ireland

Post by Donny osmond »

Ireland are obvs heavy favourites. What do Scotland need to do, other than 'play better' or 'score 8 more points' to get a result?
switchskier

Re: Scotland v Ireland

Post by switchskier »

Whilst I hate 'flopping' as our US cousins put it, I won't be averse to players making abundantly clear when Irish players are taking them out and stopping them from getting to the ball.
Lizard

Post by Lizard »

It will be very important for the Scottish locks to make sure they check in online as soon as possible to secure the seats with the most legroom.

Post by paddy no 11 »

switchskier wrote: Tue Oct 03, 2023 6:46 pm Whilst I hate 'flopping' as our US cousins put it, I won't be averse to players making abundantly clear when Irish players are taking them out and stopping them from getting to the ball.
Is this where a player pretends to be counter rucking but really just spins of slides around the side of the ruck and gets between the ball and scrum half?

Most games take on a life of their own but if Scotland can't go 90% on their own lineouts they can't win
switchskier

Post by switchskier »

paddy no 11 wrote: Tue Oct 03, 2023 7:57 pm
switchskier wrote: Tue Oct 03, 2023 6:46 pm Whilst I hate 'flopping' as our US cousins put it, I won't be averse to players making abundantly clear when Irish players are taking them out and stopping them from getting to the ball.
Is this where a player pretends to be counter rucking but really just spins of slides around the side of the ruck and gets between the ball and scrum half?

Most games take on a life of their own but if Scotland can't go 90% on their own lineouts they can't win
Yup. Australia did it first but the best sides all do it now and the Irish forwards are the best.

Agree that Scottish lineout is the major weakness. Can't see it magically getting better though.
Mikey Brown

Post by Mikey Brown »

Yep this is one area I worry about Ritchie’s ability to get the ref onside - looking out for the Irish players taking out supporting runners, tacklers rolling in the path of the 9 etc.

To put it frankly we need to be far more accurate and disciplined for the full 80 than I have seen in a long time.

Our forwards need to front up like they did vs SA and we need to have enough variety (and a viable plan B) in the backs. Turner, Dempsey, Duhan need to really throw their weight around a bit.
paddy no 11

Post by paddy no 11 »

Scotland start Ali price and darcy Graham
Go 6-2 on bench

Ireland, good sheehan in but James Ryan on bench which is very surprising

Should be a great game
Spiffy

Post by Spiffy »

paddy no 11 wrote: Thu Oct 05, 2023 4:55 pm Scotland start Ali price and darcy Graham
Go 6-2 on bench

Should be a great game
Apparently Ryan has a mild hand injury, and Henderson is in good form anyway. Henshaw out of the match day squad, and possibly the rest of the RWC (hamstring). McCloskey on the bench. Scotland could push Ireland hard here. Russell the key man - Ireland has to shut him down.
Son of Mathonwy

Post by Son of Mathonwy »

Spiffy wrote: Thu Oct 05, 2023 5:43 pm
paddy no 11 wrote: Thu Oct 05, 2023 4:55 pm Scotland start Ali price and darcy Graham
Go 6-2 on bench

Should be a great game
Apparently Ryan has a mild hand injury, and Henderson is in good form anyway. Henshaw out of the match day squad, and possibly the rest of the RWC (hamstring). McCloskey on the bench. Scotland could push Ireland hard here. Russell the key man - Ireland has to shut him down.
He's overrated IMO but if he gets lucky with some of his random kicks he might be a problem for you.

But if it's anything like the 6N you'll absorb everything they throw at you.
Cameo

Post by Cameo »

The first half of the 6N match was a great match. I feel like we (Scotland) definitely have the tools to challenge Ireland. The threat from Russell's apparently random kicks aside, him and the centre's have shown they can threaten the Ireland defence.

The issue is, Ireland are so good at absorbing pressure and coming back at you clinically. They also manage to slow the game down and have done a job on us at the breakdown before. I struggle to see us winning by 8, but hopefully we fire more shots than we did against SA. Surely if we get a lead, Ireland might get a bit nervy?
Mikey Brown

Post by Mikey Brown »

Cameo wrote: Fri Oct 06, 2023 12:01 am The first half of the 6N match was a great match. I feel like we (Scotland) definitely have the tools to challenge Ireland. The threat from Russell's apparently random kicks aside, him and the centre's have shown they can threaten the Ireland defence.

The issue is, Ireland are so good at absorbing pressure and coming back at you clinically. They also manage to slow the game down and have done a job on us at the breakdown before. I struggle to see us winning by 8, but hopefully we fire more shots than we did against SA. Surely if we get a lead, Ireland might get a bit nervy?
I wonder who learnt more from that game. Scotland in how they need to attack, or Ireland in how Russell can be shut down.

Not that it will matter at all if we can’t keep it together up front. The recent fixtures seem to have all involved our lineout collapsing.
paddy no 11

Post by paddy no 11 »

Ireland were on the ropes in 6 nations but Scotland buckled allowing vdf to look like the best lineout thrower in the world, when opportunities present themselves tomorrow they cannot flinch

Darcy Graham didn't play in the 6 nations and is a huge addition and is a player who will worry Ireland

Scotland are in a better place but Ireland have showed their mental strength, this is what Scotland need to overcome
pompey-zebra

Post by pompey-zebra »

To have a chance, Scotland will have to take what opportunities come their way, minimize the brain farts and keep 15 players on the pitch for 80 minutes.
BaldiePete

Post by BaldiePete »

pompey-zebra wrote: Fri Oct 06, 2023 7:14 pm To have a chance, Scotland will have to take what opportunities come their way, minimize the brain farts and keep 15 players on the pitch for 80 minutes.
So, you’re saying we’re screwed?
Cameo

Post by Cameo »

I thought Ireland looked fantastic. Everything we have seen this tournament re-inforces the view that the winner will come from Group A or B.

Can't wait for those quarterfinal match-ups. Both could go either way.
Son of Mathonwy

Post by Son of Mathonwy »

That was just brutal. Scotland outclassed.
Mikey Brown

Post by Mikey Brown »

Yep. Humbling.
Cameo

Post by Cameo »

The most impressive thing from Ireland was that we actually fired shots, but they just didn't break or even bend. That first twenty mins, we regularly went through a number of phases in or around their 22 with some decent shape and passing, but we never really looked like scoring. Their ability to absorb pressure is unreal.

Against South Africa, it felt like if we had done better at the breakdown or got outside their rush, we could have had a chance. Today, we could have played Ireland 20 times and they would have won them all. Would have been interesting to see what would have happened if we got a lead, but I don't see them choking.

That's not to say they'll necessarily win it, but will take something special (or lucky) to beat them.