Portugal - Fiji

Home of our Rugby World Cup Discussions.
Official France 2023 website here: https://www.rugbyworldcup.com/2023

Moderator: Puja

Son of Mathonwy

Re: Portugal - Fiji

Post by Son of Mathonwy »

Numbers wrote: Mon Oct 09, 2023 3:11 pm
Son of Mathonwy wrote: Mon Oct 09, 2023 2:37 pm
Sandydragon wrote: Mon Oct 09, 2023 7:26 am

I have a strong feeling that the semi finals could both be absolute hammerings. We could
Mention the draw again but we all know that three years is too early to select the pools. We had this issue in 2015 (no one really seemed to give a toss then)
But now it’s been noticed. Pick the pools the year before, much fairer.
Also shuffle the teams more at the quarterfinal stage so one side of the draw isn't completely separate from the other ie
Winner A plays RU B
Winner B plays RU C
Winner C plays RU D
Winner D plays RU A
Well, that's not really how seeding works, all they need to do is what they will be doing and take the seedings from a closer time to the event
I agree this isn't seeding, it's a better way of arranging things so if the seeding has gone wrong, the competition isn't so badly affected.

Of course the seedings should be worked out closer to the event - everyone (outside of world rugby) agrees on that ;).
Numbers

Post by Numbers »

Son of Mathonwy wrote: Mon Oct 09, 2023 4:01 pm
Son of Mathonwy wrote: Mon Oct 09, 2023 2:37 pm
Also shuffle the teams more at the quarterfinal stage so one side of the draw isn't completely separate from the other ie
Winner A plays RU B
Winner B plays RU C
Winner C plays RU D
Winner D plays RU A
Well, that's not really how seeding works, all they need to do is what they will be doing and take the seedings from a closer time to the event
I agree this isn't seeding, it's a better way of arranging things so if the seeding has gone wrong, the competition isn't so badly affected.

Of course the seedings should be worked out closer to the event - everyone (outside of world rugby) agrees on that ;).
I think they already decided to do that for the next comp mate, unless my old brain is failing me which is not beyond the realms of possibility ;)
Son of Mathonwy

Numbers wrote: Mon Oct 09, 2023 4:43 pm

I think they already decided to do that for the next comp mate, unless my old brain is failing me which is not beyond the realms of possibility ;)
The later seeding or the rearranged quarterfinal match-ups?
Numbers

Post by Numbers »

Son of Mathonwy wrote: Mon Oct 09, 2023 6:17 pm

The later seeding, I think it's supposed to be 12 months befoe the comp next time, this is an AP article regarding it:

The draw was made so long ago so the French tournament organizers could get the buzz started on ticket sales before locals had a chance to buy tickets for the 2024 Paris Olympics. World Rugby chief executive Alan Gilpin accepted this year that the method was “outdated” and would be changed for future World Cups.

https://apnews.com/article/rugby-world- ... e6b26c4083
Son of Mathonwy

Numbers wrote: Tue Oct 10, 2023 9:18 am

The later seeding, I think it's supposed to be 12 months befoe the comp next time, this is an AP article regarding it:

The draw was made so long ago so the French tournament organizers could get the buzz started on ticket sales before locals had a chance to buy tickets for the 2024 Paris Olympics. World Rugby chief executive Alan Gilpin accepted this year that the method was “outdated” and would be changed for future World Cups.

Cool, hope they carry through on this. Can they stop thinking about money for a moment??
Numbers

Post by Numbers »

Son of Mathonwy wrote: Tue Oct 10, 2023 9:58 am
Numbers wrote: Tue Oct 10, 2023 9:18 am

Cool, hope they carry through on this. Can they stop thinking about money for a moment??
Money seems to be the deciding factor in a lot of these things, I'm sure they said they would change the seedings after the 2015 World Cup as well after England, Aus and Wales were all in the same group..