Alanis Morissette

Which Tyler

Alanis Morissette

Post by Which Tyler »

https://www.theguardian.com/music/2021/ ... a-teenager
Alanis Morissette says she was victim of multiple statutory rapes as a teenager
Listening to her music, this isn't as shocking as it might have been.

Puja

Re: Alanis Morissette

Post by Puja »

Fuck me. I'd not considered that song's lyrics in that context (had assumed it was a shitty non-paedophile boyfriend) but now that I've seen that story, it's pretty much impossible for that song to be anything but what it is - an acerbic takedown of an adult predating on her as she started her music career.

Fuck. That's utterly despicable. I'm glad she's getting somewhere in therapy.

Puja
Backist Monk
Which Tyler

Post by Which Tyler »

Puja wrote:Fuck me. I'd not considered that song's lyrics in that context (had assumed it was a shitty non-paedophile boyfriend) but now that I've seen that story, it's pretty much impossible for that song to be anything but what it is - an acerbic takedown of an adult predating on her as she started her music career.

Fuck. That's utterly despicable. I'm glad she's getting somewhere in therapy.

Puja
It was always clear that she had an... erm... unhealthy relationship with sex.
Back then, I'd assumed more the usual bad-boyfriend cycle, daddy issues, or just marketing to be a bad girl.

As you say, revisitting Hands Clean in particular, it's so obvious... in retrospect
cashead

Post by cashead »

No one is surprised that an underage girl was victimised in the music industry, yes?

I mean, it's not like Jimmy Page was known to be fucking a 13 year-old girl back in the early 70s when Led Zep were touring the US, and R Kelly's love for underage strange was known in the mid-90s when he tried to marry a 14 year-old girl, not to mention the piss tape was known and reported on as early as 2002.

Shit, this doesn't even require any hindsight.
I'm a god
How can you kill a god?
Shame on you, sweet Nerevar
Mikey Brown

Post by Mikey Brown »

Lol. Who would click on that given the context?
cashead

Post by cashead »

Mikey Brown wrote:Lol. Who would click on that given the context?
No need to be squeamish. It's only the Wikipedia entry to a song called "Age Ain't Nothing But A Number," written and produced by a known wrong'un, and performed by a 15 year-old girl. Totally nothing untoward going on, I swear!
I'm a god
How can you kill a god?
jngf

Post by jngf »

cashead wrote: Tue Nov 23, 2021 6:33 am No one is surprised that an underage girl was victimised in the music industry, yes?

I mean, it's not like Jimmy Page was known to be fucking a 13 year-old girl back in the early 70s when Led Zep were touring the US, and R Kelly's love for underage strange was known in the mid-90s when he tried to marry a 14 year-old girl, not to mention the piss tape was known and reported on as early as 2002.

Didn’t Jerry Lee Lewis marry his underage cousin or something, back in the 50s ?
cashead

Post by cashead »

jngf wrote: Tue Oct 10, 2023 6:53 pm
cashead wrote: Tue Nov 23, 2021 6:33 am No one is surprised that an underage girl was victimised in the music industry, yes?

Didn’t Jerry Lee Lewis marry his underage cousin or something, back in the 50s ?
Yep. 13, if I remember correctly. What the hell is it with musicians and 13 year-olds?
I'm a god
How can you kill a god?