Ire v NZ QF 2

Home of our Rugby World Cup Discussions.
Official France 2023 website here: https://www.rugbyworldcup.com/2023

Moderator: Puja

pompey-zebra

Re: Ire v NZ QF 2

Post by pompey-zebra »

Big D wrote: Sat Oct 14, 2023 10:07 pm
pompey-zebra wrote: Sat Oct 14, 2023 10:02 pm
Big D wrote: Sat Oct 14, 2023 9:59 pm Ireland victims of the draw too.
True but if they cant get past the quarter finals even when ranked number 1 in the world, when can they?
When they aren't playing one of the top 4 who are light years ahead of every other team in the comp?
Are New Zealand light years ahead of every other team.in thr comp? I'd argue they're not even far ahead of Ireland, and I'm sure they'll see this as s missed opportunity regardless of the opposition.

Even then though, superb effort by both teams. Either side would have deserved to go through on tonight's showing.
Big D

Post by Big D »

Spiffy wrote: Sat Oct 14, 2023 10:18 pm
16th man wrote: Sat Oct 14, 2023 10:12 pm Ireland massively frustrating tonight.

The last 5 minutes showed what they can do, but they spent a lot of the previous 75 putting in shitty little kicks and chucking ridiculous miss passes.

New Zeakand out in some good defensive intensity and ran the ball well, but we're error laden and got some skin of the teeth decisions.

I don't think the French or the Boks are worried by that.
Agree that Ireland were too sloppy tonight. Poor lineout, too many scrum penalties and inaccurate passing. The 13 point gap was just too much to chase. Very tight game that could have gone either way. Well done NZ who were sharper at taking their chances.
The two big moments felt so unIreland like. 1st phase defence for the NZ try and Kelleher breaking off the maul.

Ireland are still a great side and set up to be perennial challengers.
Big D

Post by Big D »

pompey-zebra wrote: Sat Oct 14, 2023 10:19 pm
Big D wrote: Sat Oct 14, 2023 10:07 pm
pompey-zebra wrote: Sat Oct 14, 2023 10:02 pm

True but if they cant get past the quarter finals even when ranked number 1 in the world, when can they?
When they aren't playing one of the top 4 who are light years ahead of every other team in the comp?
Are New Zealand light years ahead of every other team.in thr comp? I'd argue they're not even far ahead of Ireland, and I'm sure they'll see this as s missed opportunity regardless of the opposition.

Even then though, superb effort by both teams. Either side would have deserved to go through on tonight's showing.
Sorry wasn't clear. The top 4 are light years ahead of the rest.
paddy no 11

Post by paddy no 11 »

Congrats NZ

Could watch Savea play like that all day

Few complaints about Ireland team selection and Johnny sexton is an incredibly unlikeable player, he should have been hauled off after 60 mins at least
Big D

Post by Big D »

paddy no 11 wrote: Sat Oct 14, 2023 10:24 pm Congrats NZ

Could watch Savea play like that all day

Few complaints about Ireland team selection and Johnny sexton is an incredibly unlikeable player, he should have been hauled off after 60 mins at least
He was clearly fucked and when Murray came on it maybe slowed the game a little when pace might have helped a bit.
Lizard

Post by Lizard »

Ireland were just missing about 2% of their composure. That showed in the lineouts and in some of the decision making in the last 5 minutes.

NZ played the yellow card periods very cleverly, especially Smith’s. They also shut down Aki and Lowe pretty well - really targeting Aki before he got a head of steam up.

I thought Barnes refereed well.

And what’s better (serious Q) attacking for 34 phases before making a mistake, or defending for 35 without giving away a penalty.

I’ve bagged Cane before, so I’ll take a bit of that back tonight. He done good. Savea was excellent.

Phew. Well it’s 1.30am here in Oman. Fortunately they have an excellent custom here of siesta from about 12.30pm to 4.00, the the temperature is high 30s. I’ll need that.
canta_brian

Post by canta_brian »

Between Sexton and Porter for most annoying prick tonight for me. Constant whinging in the refs ear. Porter bitching despite stepping out and pushing sideways was ridiculous. Kind of feel that he just expected to get away with cheating all night and he was hard done by when it got pinged. And yet it was NZ who received the yellow cards
morepork

Post by morepork »

I’m cunted. Going out to crawl dive bars with my new Irish besties.

How about that AB ruck discipline? Hat off to Sams Cane.
paddy no 11

Post by paddy no 11 »

canta_brian wrote: Sat Oct 14, 2023 10:34 pm Between Sexton and Porter for most annoying prick tonight for me. Constant whinging in the refs ear. Porter bitching despite stepping out and pushing sideways was ridiculous. Kind of feel that he just expected to get away with cheating all night and he was hard done by when it got pinged. And yet it was NZ who received the yellow cards
Sexton every time
16th man

Post by 16th man »

Ireland badly missed that Johnson/ o'connell type figure in the pack to step up at 20 minutes into the game and say "that's enough dicking about with cross kicks and miss passes, this is how we win games and that's what we're doing for the next hour"
Beasties

Post by Beasties »

canta_brian wrote: Sat Oct 14, 2023 10:34 pm Between Sexton and Porter for most annoying prick tonight for me. Constant whinging in the refs ear. Porter bitching despite stepping out and pushing sideways was ridiculous. Kind of feel that he just expected to get away with cheating all night and he was hard done by when it got pinged. And yet it was NZ who received the yellow cards
Nah, Barnes had a good game but kept getting the scrum calls wrong. There’s nothing Porter can do if the scrum moves to the right, he has to follow it. These sometimes get called like this but it’s wrong. Ire had them in the scrums, Furlong was on top of DeGroot which was why the scrums moved to the right. In the last scrum Williams went down having got a shove on Bealham and Barnes didn’t blow at all. Newell’s face in the third (?) scrum said it all. IMO Porter had every right to be angry, but it’s part of front row play.
Beasties

Post by Beasties »

What a match though. Contrast that with what we’ll be served up at 4pm tomorrow.
Cameo

Post by Cameo »

16th man wrote: Sat Oct 14, 2023 11:35 pm Ireland badly missed that Johnson/ o'connell type figure in the pack to step up at 20 minutes into the game and say "that's enough dicking about with cross kicks and miss passes, this is how we win games and that's what we're doing for the next hour"
I'm not sure. I thought they had a plan to get it wide and it paid off for them fairly often.

Don't remember any cross kicks apart from two good ones that could have easily led to tries for O'Mahony and Sheehan.

In any case, isn't O'Mahony that figure. I just don't think their tactics were far off.
Spiffy

Post by Spiffy »

Beasties wrote: Sat Oct 14, 2023 11:55 pm
Nah, Barnes had a good game but kept getting the scrum calls wrong. There’s nothing Porter can do if the scrum moves to the right, he has to follow it. These sometimes get called like this but it’s wrong. Ire had them in the scrums, Furlong was on top of DeGroot which was why the scrums moved to the right. In the last scrum Williams went down having got a shove on Bealham and Barnes didn’t blow at all. Newell’s face in the third (?) scrum said it all. IMO Porter had every right to be angry, but it’s part of front row play.
Porter has a bit of a rep for boring and often gets pinged for it. And frequently this is justified. On the other hand, I am totally pissed off with the automatic ref response in rugby now, which is to penalize the non - feeding side every time a scrum wheels. It is not always that clear cut, and often the fault of the side putting the ball in. Cynical props of the feeding side can easily take advantage of this, just ease back, let the scrum wheel and milk the penalty. When did you last see a scrum wheeling penalty awarded to the side which was not putting the ball in? I don't think I can remember one. Refs are not as smart as they think and can be readily duped by"thicko" props.
Lizard

Post by Lizard »

Beasties wrote: Sat Oct 14, 2023 11:56 pm What a match though. Contrast that with what we’ll be served up at 4pm tomorrow.
Oh I don’t know. Fiji can be very entertaining.

Post by Beasties »

Spiffy wrote: Sun Oct 15, 2023 2:56 am
Porter has a bit of a rep for boring and often gets pinged for it. And frequently this is justified. On the other hand, I am totally pissed off with the automatic ref response in rugby now, which is to penalize the non - feeding side every time a scrum wheels. It is not always that clear cut, and often the fault of the side putting the ball in. Cynical props of the feeding side can easily take advantage of this, just ease back, let the scrum wheel and milk the penalty. When did you last see a scrum wheeling penalty awarded to the side which was not putting the ball in? I don't think I can remember one. Refs are not as smart as they think and can be readily duped by"thicko" props.
Twas a shame Flats wasn’t commentating. He might’ve provided some actual analysis rather than agreeing the ref was right. I wonder what Ioane said to Sexton at the end?
paddy no 11

Post by paddy no 11 »

Beasties wrote: Sun Oct 15, 2023 7:19 am

Twas a shame Flats wasn’t commentating. He might’ve provided some actual analysis rather than agreeing the ref was right. I wonder what Ioane said to Sexton at the end?
Yes, I would be curious to know what he said also
paddy no 11

Post by paddy no 11 »

Think based on the lads comments Porter gets a reprieve maybe?

As you say sexton is a terrible example to kids, shouting at refs and whinging all night, I'm glad peyper called him out on it pre tournament, he'd a easyish penalty on 65 mins and fucked it up, needs to shoulder the blame not blame every one else
Big D

Post by Big D »

paddy no 11 wrote: Sun Oct 15, 2023 10:25 am
Think based on the lads comments Porter gets a reprieve maybe?

As you say sexton is a terrible example to kids, shouting at refs and whinging all night, I'm glad peyper called him out on it pre tournament, he'd a easyish penalty on 65 mins and fucked it up, needs to shoulder the blame not blame every one else
Nah Porter got away with a few around the park. Find it hard to have sympathy in those cases. In any case two of the three scrum pens were correct calls imo.

1st scrum Porter was at 45 as soon at engagement and scrum went right before Ireland went forward due to Porter driving right.

2nd scrum was a good contest and Ireland again started going Irelands way after Porter drives at an angle and continues to drive across.

3rd the NZ TH does go down but ref says Ireland front row has went left. Don't agree with that one. Conveniently Porter managed to keep straight that time.
Big D

Post by Big D »

This is pretty accurate in hindsight:
Son of Mathonwy

Post by Son of Mathonwy »

Agreed, it used to be - scrum turned through 90°, reset scrum. Now it's penalty non-feeding side.
paddy no 11

Post by paddy no 11 »

Saw a stat that NZ had zero handling errors v Ireland

Fair play to them, that's how it should be done
paddy no 11

Post by paddy no 11 »

paddy no 11 wrote: Tue Oct 17, 2023 7:33 pm Saw a stat that NZ had zero handling errors v Ireland

Fair play to them, that's how it should be done
I see canta the new zealander beat me to the punch :roll:
cashead

Post by cashead »

Brodie Retallick wrote:Oi Peter, four more years you fuckwit
I'm a god
How can you kill a god?
Shame on you, sweet Nerevar