BBC article on Welsh Rugby

Moderator: Sandydragon

pompey-zebra

BBC article on Welsh Rugby

Post by pompey-zebra »

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-wales-67193671

BBC Wales report into development of the game in Wales. There was a feature about it on Radio 4 today, and a BBC Wales programme tonight.
Son of Mathonwy

Re: BBC article on Welsh Rugby

Post by Son of Mathonwy »

A don't have a fundamental problem with players moving to England to develop. As long as they stay loyal to Wales. It allows us to develop more players.

Ideally - assuming massive improvements to the organisation of the game in Wales - there will be better opportunities for promising players here ie the quality of training will improve, and the best players will be more likely to stay.
Puja

Post by Puja »

Son of Mathonwy wrote: Wed Oct 25, 2023 12:41 pm A don't have a fundamental problem with players moving to England to develop. As long as they stay loyal to Wales. It allows us to develop more players.

Ideally - assuming massive improvements to the organisation of the game in Wales - there will be better opportunities for promising players here ie the quality of training will improve, and the best players will be more likely to stay.
From an English perspective, I'm more narked that 10 out of 15 of Hartbury's starting team are Welsh. Not great when one of our major development centres is more helping your lot than ours.

Puja
Backist Monk
Banquo

Post by Banquo »

Puja wrote: Wed Oct 25, 2023 1:53 pm
Son of Mathonwy wrote: Wed Oct 25, 2023 12:41 pm A don't have a fundamental problem with players moving to England to develop. As long as they stay loyal to Wales. It allows us to develop more players.

From an English perspective, I'm more narked that 10 out of 15 of Hartbury's starting team are Welsh. Not great when one of our major development centres is more helping your lot than ours.

Puja
also odd as It'll cost them EQP money.
Puja

Post by Puja »

Banquo wrote: Wed Oct 25, 2023 1:58 pm

Puja
School, not Champ team, although there is quite a bit of cross-over. Plus I suspect a large number are like LRZ - technically EQP, but with no intention of turning down Wales.

Puja
Backist Monk
Banquo

Post by Banquo »

Puja wrote: Wed Oct 25, 2023 2:03 pm
Banquo wrote: Wed Oct 25, 2023 1:58 pm

Puja
School, not Champ team, although there is quite a bit of cross-over. Plus I suspect a large number are like LRZ - technically EQP, but with no intention of turning down Wales.

Puja
ah ok, though that is their pipeline.
Son of Mathonwy

Post by Son of Mathonwy »

Puja
Absolutely, you should totally feel that way. We don't do it very much but it gave me no pleasure see Underhill or Beirne being developed here.
Sourdust

Post by Sourdust »

I enjoyed watching Underhill play for Os so much, when he takes the field in white I still sometimes forget he's a Sith now. Even when he made that tackle on Scott Williams, frustrated as I was, there was a part of me guiltily smirking. :-)