The final

Home of our Rugby World Cup Discussions.
Official France 2023 website here: https://www.rugbyworldcup.com/2023

Moderator: Puja

cashead

Re: The final

Post by cashead »

Spiffy wrote: Thu Nov 02, 2023 4:54 pm
cashead wrote: Wed Nov 01, 2023 9:34 pm
Mikey Brown wrote: Wed Nov 01, 2023 10:11 am Has there been any suggestion of when the TMO started looking at it?

I know you don't want people going back multiple phases once a try is scored, but I don't know if the TMO was already checking the footage when Barnes initially called "no knock-on", because it did look like one.

The Frizzell one is weird. It's perhaps hard to separate from disliking the guy but looked incredibly reckless to me. People called for a life-time ban for Swain's "clearout" on Tupea, but judging intent in an awkward collision like that is tricky.
Whether Big Tom BIG TMO BOY The Main Event Foley were to be checking for a knock-on, it still has to be within 2 phases of a potential try being scored. It wasn’t.

And in a tight 1-point game, I find it hard to accept any argument that his interference did not have any impact on the outcome.
Are you saying that you agree it was a knock on but that it was spotted too late and so the try should have stood? That may be within the letter of the law but would be a very unsatisfactory and controversial way to win a RWC. You win some and lose some calls and just have to accept it. That is the nature of the game. I was quite disappointed when NZ just pipped Ireland and Ardie Savea was not checked for a forward pass, but I'm well over it and could not give a flying fuuuck by now.
Considering how much power creep there has been with the TMO, I'm saying think about what sort of precedent this sets. In spite of the laws of the game, does this mean now that TMOs can just say "nah, not feelin' it, lol" and disregard the laws that govern their behaviour?

Also, let me give you the same sort of smug response an All Blacks supporter would have gotten if the shoe was on the other glove - well maybe the Springboks should have dealt with it during that 3-or-so-phase window.
I'm a god
How can you kill a god?
Shame on you, sweet Nerevar
cashead

Post by cashead »

Mikey Brown wrote: Thu Nov 02, 2023 7:15 am
cashead wrote: Wed Nov 01, 2023 9:34 pm
Mikey Brown wrote: Wed Nov 01, 2023 10:11 am Has there been any suggestion of when the TMO started looking at it?

I know you don't want people going back multiple phases once a try is scored, but I don't know if the TMO was already checking the footage when Barnes initially called "no knock-on", because it did look like one.

The Frizzell one is weird. It's perhaps hard to separate from disliking the guy but looked incredibly reckless to me. People called for a life-time ban for Swain's "clearout" on Tupea, but judging intent in an awkward collision like that is tricky.
Whether Big Tom BIG TMO BOY The Main Event Foley were to be checking for a knock-on, it still has to be within 2 phases of a potential try being scored. It wasn’t.

And in a tight 1-point game, I find it hard to accept any argument that his interference did not have any impact on the outcome.
Cameo explained it better below, but I meant perhaps he was already checking the knock-on anyway. I don’t know what the strict rules are on refs prompting TMOs to check minor infringements/knock-ons, and how long they have to do that, but it seems to be creeping in to the game more and more.

If a try gets scored in that time you’re surely in to a weird grey area, where as you say they’re not wanting to have TMOs go back multiple phases on a try.

I can understand the appeal to check with the TMO as you go, given death threats now seem the norm for not being 100% correct all the time.
Section 6 of the Laws of the game has a specific provision for TMOs - albeit in a Global Law Trial phase - which explicitly states that the TMO's involvement will be in accordance with the 2022 TMO Protocols issued by World Rugby in, well, 2022. And the key word is "will." Regardless of the TMO checking it at the time live at the time, when Barnes said there was "no knock-on," the TMO has shit to say about fuck on the matter, and more importantly, as soon as a possible try is in the equation, the live referral becomes irrelevant.
I'm a god
How can you kill a god?
16th man

Post by 16th man »

Another angle of the leg drop yellow, which suggests he was very lucky not to get a red.

Looks very much a clearly targeted attempt to put the hooker out of the game.

https://www.reddit.com/r/springboks/s/VtM7Ast8aj
Puja

Post by Puja »

16th man wrote: Thu Nov 02, 2023 8:02 pm Another angle of the leg drop yellow, which suggests he was very lucky not to get a red.

Eesh. I wasn't convinced it was a card on the other angles, but that does not look good at all.

Puja
Backist Monk
morepork

Post by morepork »

That is legit stupid, nasty even.
canta_brian

Post by canta_brian »

16th man wrote: Thu Nov 02, 2023 8:02 pm Another angle of the leg drop yellow, which suggests he was very lucky not to get a red.

I thought the yellow was for a neck roll. Pretty sure that’s what the TMO called it back for.

What was the mitigation that allowed Kolisi to come back? Oh yeah, the presence of another player as part of the tackle. The valgus force to the knee comes as the 2nd Springbok joins the tackle.

Also, the idea behind 8 bench players was to make sure all the front row positions were covered. SA fucked with that protocol to allow a wholesale swap of an entire forward pack to allow them to play the worst brand of rugby possible to win the cup. That they still didn’t have a 2nd hooker on the bench isn’t anyone else’s fault.
canta_brian

Post by canta_brian »

This is fair I think
Mikey Brown

Post by Mikey Brown »

I don’t know why this thread is providing me with so much entertainment.
cashead

Post by cashead »

Mikey Brown wrote: Fri Nov 03, 2023 8:12 am I don’t know why this thread is providing me with so much entertainment.
No one cares, and knock it off with this low content shit.
I'm a god
How can you kill a god?
Mikey Brown

Post by Mikey Brown »

Get a grip. What do you think this place is?
cashead

Post by cashead »

Mikey Brown wrote: Sun Nov 05, 2023 11:00 am Get a grip. What do you think this place is?
How do your contributions actually add to or enhance the discussion?
I'm a god
How can you kill a god?
Spiffy

Post by Spiffy »

cashead wrote: Sun Nov 05, 2023 6:01 pm
Mikey Brown wrote: Sun Nov 05, 2023 11:00 am Get a grip. What do you think this place is?
To be fair to Mikey Brown (and others), it's not really much of a discussion. Mainly just variations on the "we wuz robbed" theme. I do understand that die hard NZ fans are disappointed that they lost, but they should also realize that the rest of the world doesn't have the same vested interest, and does not care all that much. Public opinion seems to accept that the game was fairly reffed overall, and that SA nicked a very tight game that could have gone either way.
NZ are a great team that just got pipped on the day.
Mikey Brown

Post by Mikey Brown »

I could have sworn we were having a conversation about whether the TMO was prompted to intervene at the knock-on like a half a page up from here, before I dared to say that I’d found this thread entertaining.

I don’t know why you’ve got your panties in an uproar.
J Dory

Post by J Dory »

Spiffy wrote: Sun Nov 05, 2023 6:54 pm
To be fair to Mikey Brown (and others), it's not really much of a discussion. Mainly just variations on the "we wuz robbed" theme. I do understand that die hard NZ fans are disappointed that they lost, but they should also realize that the rest of the world doesn't have the same vested interest, and does not care all that much. Public opinion seems to accept that the game was fairly reffed overall, and that SA nicked a very tight game that could have gone either way.
Biased prick.
J Dory

Post by J Dory »

Fuel for the fire, Cane cited.
Spiffy

Post by Spiffy »

J Dory wrote: Mon Nov 06, 2023 12:58 pm
Spiffy wrote: Sun Nov 05, 2023 6:54 pm

Biased prick.
Well - you got one of them right ;)
Donny osmond

Post by Donny osmond »

Mikey Brown wrote: Sun Nov 05, 2023 7:37 pm
I could have sworn we were having a conversation about whether the TMO was prompted to intervene at the knock-on like a half a page up from here, before I dared to say that I’d found this thread entertaining.

I think you do
Son of Mathonwy

Post by Son of Mathonwy »

There will always be disagreements about decisions. IMO the real problem is the vast gulf between the punishment for yellow and red cards.
cashead

Post by cashead »

Donny osmond wrote: Mon Nov 06, 2023 5:08 pm
Mikey Brown wrote: Sun Nov 05, 2023 7:37 pm

I think you do
This has nothing to do with any outcome of any sportsball game. Posts like "tee hee hee, I'm having fun," as if we're meant to give a fuck, is nothing but low-content shit. I'd ask you what it adds to the discussion, or how it enhances the conversation, but I think both of you know the answer here.
I'm a god
How can you kill a god?
Mikey Brown

Post by Mikey Brown »

Jesus Christ. You’re not big on self-awareness are you? I’m sure you’re absolutely right that nobody gives a fuck about any of this.
Puja

Post by Puja »

Okay Hammy. **Now** I have a strong opinion on when you should shut down this forum.

Puja
Backist Monk
cashead

Post by cashead »

Mikey Brown wrote: Sat Nov 11, 2023 11:46 am Jesus Christ. You’re not big on self-awareness are you? I’m sure you’re absolutely right that nobody gives a fuck about any of this.
You know what else nobody gives a cares about? This.
Mikey Brown wrote: Fri Nov 03, 2023 8:12 am I don’t know why this thread is providing me with so much entertainment.
Are you going to get this buttmad every time you get pulled up for low-content spam posts?
I'm a god
How can you kill a god?
Mikey Brown

Post by Mikey Brown »

Your reading comprehension skills could really do with a bit of work.

I don’t know if there’s a way I can spell it out any further. I’d probably just be repeating my core themes of “get a grip” and “nobody cares”.

Kudos for getting the discussion back on track though.

That Cam Roigard, eh? Nippy.
cashead

Post by cashead »

Mikey Brown wrote: Sun Nov 12, 2023 10:08 am Your reading comprehension skills could really do with a bit of work.

I don’t know if there’s a way I can spell it out any further. I’d probably just be repeating my core themes of “get a grip” and “nobody cares”.

Kudos for getting the discussion back on track though.

That Cam Roigard, eh? Nippy.
If you were aware that no one cares, then why make low-content spam posts that add nothing? You don't get to turn around and screech
Mikey Brown wrote: Sun Nov 12, 2023 10:08 am “get a grip” and “nobody cares”.
after the fact, you absolute clown.

You're right. No one cares, so ease up on the "I'm having fun, tee hee hee" posts, you dork.

And lol at you saying "get a grip" when you got this butthurt over being pulled up for it.
I'm a god
How can you kill a god?
Puja

Post by Puja »

Right, this is going absolutely nowhere, so I'm stopping the thread. Thanks for a great RWC all and see you all for the Lions board to all rip the piss out of Australia.

Mod
Backist Monk