GOAT - The eternal debate

Numbers

Re: GOAT - The eternal debate

Post by Numbers »

Son of Mathonwy wrote: Mon Nov 20, 2023 12:10 pm Djokovic has the tennis GOAT wrapped up:

https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/tennis/67468494
He's not very good at Biology mind you, this is what he had to say about the Donkey cheese he's so fond of:

"It is a very expensive one and it is good quality. I have heard that they milk donkeys but I was not sure if that was possible. It is such an interesting story," he said.

He's not sure if you can milk a donkey it seems, perhaps he's been trying to milk the wrong ones..
Stom

Post by Stom »

Son of Mathonwy wrote: Mon Nov 20, 2023 12:10 pm Djokovic has the tennis GOAT wrapped up:

No. A prize cwnt like him can't be GOAT. The GOAT of Tennis is surely more like Serena Williams...
Son of Mathonwy

Post by Son of Mathonwy »

Numbers wrote: Mon Nov 20, 2023 3:33 pm

He's not very good at Biology mind you, this is what he had to say about the Donkey cheese he's so fond of:

"It is a very expensive one and it is good quality. I have heard that they milk donkeys but I was not sure if that was possible. It is such an interesting story," he said.

He's not sure if you can milk a donkey it seems, perhaps he's been trying to milk the wrong ones..
Yeah, I would definitely establish if donkeys can be milked before tasting their cheese.

I'm not sure I'd take his immunological advice either.
Son of Mathonwy

Stom wrote: Mon Nov 20, 2023 3:36 pm

No. A prize cwnt like him can't be GOAT. The GOAT of Tennis is surely more like Serena Williams...
Coz she's such a sweetie.

Djokovic ain't going to win the all-time most popular tennis player poll, but sport isn't about popularity.
Stom

Post by Stom »

Son of Mathonwy wrote: Mon Nov 20, 2023 4:28 pm

Djokovic ain't going to win the all-time most popular tennis player poll, but sport isn't about popularity.
It’s also about how they make you feel. And not only is he an absolute cwnt, he’s also the most boring champion in history. It’s just so hideously boring.
Mellsblue

Post by Mellsblue »

Stom wrote: Mon Nov 20, 2023 5:31 pm

It’s also about how they make you feel.
In that case, I nominate Sam Quek.
Son of Mathonwy

It’s also about how they make you feel. And not only is he an absolute cwnt, he’s also the most boring champion in history. It’s just so hideously boring.
That's just another way of saying how popular they are. I know these GOAT debates are difficult but if we ignore sporting achievements in favour of 'I like him more' then we might as well just have a popularity contest. I mean I suspect Michael Schumacher was more popular in Germany than in the UK but was he a better driver in Germany than the UK?
Stom

Post by Stom »

Son of Mathonwy wrote: Tue Nov 21, 2023 8:14 am

That's just another way of saying how popular they are. I know these GOAT debates are difficult but if we ignore sporting achievements in favour of 'I like him more' then we might as well just have a popularity contest. I mean I suspect Michael Schumacher was more popular in Germany than in the UK but was he a better driver in Germany than the UK?
On F1, Senna always enters the chat because of how he made people feel. He didn't win 7 titles...

Anyway, I still think there is someone who is often overlooked here, who has a genuine claim...

Sir Steve Redgrave.
Puja

Post by Puja »

While I agree that Djokovic is a terrible person, I agree with SoM - GOAT is about performances on the pitch/court, not what they do outside of it.

Schumacher's actually a difficult example, because his bad behaviour was on the track (I understand he was an absolute gent in person) and arguably was responsible for one of his Championship wins through what a lot of people would define as cheating.

Puja
Backist Monk
Which Tyler

Post by Which Tyler »

Son of Mathonwy wrote: Tue Nov 21, 2023 8:14 amThat's just another way of saying how popular they are.
GOAT always includes some of that.

You can change the game and draw a crowd, whilst not winning.
You can win a lot and turn existing viewers off the sport, and not bring in new fans.

That's why it's unanswerable for any sport, let alone across sports - and is always a fund debate.
If it was just on stat.s then we might as well play Top Trumps instead.

Sometimes the stats stand out so far above anyone else, that they over-rule any charismatic (personal or on-pitch) argument - which is why Bradman always comes first, and Gretsky usually comes second. If the stats are remotely close (as they are in men's tennis) then it's down to so much more.
Son of Mathonwy

Stom wrote: Tue Nov 21, 2023 9:07 am

On F1, Senna always enters the chat because of how he made people feel. He didn't win 7 titles...

Anyway, I still think there is someone who is often overlooked here, who has a genuine claim...

Sir Steve Redgrave.
I think a case can be made for someone who didn't get the top stats if their career was cut short or derailed for reasons beyond their control, eg Monica Seles's stabbing.
Numbers

Post by Numbers »

It's very subjective and most people have their favourites, the following I think are pretty much nailed on GOATs:

Pub Sports: Ronnie O'Sullivan, Phil Taylor

Athletics: Ed Moses, Michael Johnson, Usain Bolt, Armand Duplantis, Hicham El Guerroj

Tennis: Serena Williams, Djokovic

Football: Maradonna

F1: Lots of Senna talk and he was great, also Jim Clark who was believed by many to be the most naturally gifted driver before his untimely death, I suppose you could say that these two were potential GOATS, I think Verstappen is going to surpass Hamilon and Schummacher as the most successful in due course.

Golf: Woods

Gymnastics: Biles, nod to Korbut

MotoGP: Valentino Rossi

Boxing: Julio Cesar Chavez, won his first 87 fights then started to not bother with training and taking recreational drugs but still won the majority of those fights too despite not training.
cashead

Post by cashead »

She has the versatility to be successful at both singles and doubles, and has an Olympic gold medal, which Djokovic doesn’t. Boom, check mate, ladies and gentlemen of the jury.
I'm a god
How can you kill a god?
Shame on you, sweet Nerevar
cashead

Post by cashead »

Numbers wrote: Thu Nov 23, 2023 11:16 am It's very subjective and most people have their favourites, the following I think are pretty much nailed on GOATs:

Pub Sports: Ronnie O'Sullivan, Phil Taylor

Athletics: Ed Moses, Michael Johnson, Usain Bolt, Armand Duplantis, Hicham El Guerroj

Tennis: Serena Williams, Djokovic

Football: Maradonna

F1: Lots of Senna talk and he was great, also Jim Clark who was believed by many to be the most naturally gifted driver before his untimely death, I suppose you could say that these two were potential GOATS, I think Verstappen is going to surpass Hamilon and Schummacher as the most successful in due course.

Golf: Woods

Gymnastics: Biles, nod to Korbut

MotoGP: Valentino Rossi

Boxing: Julio Cesar Chavez, won his first 87 fights then started to not bother with training and taking recreational drugs but still won the majority of those fights too despite not training.
In addition:

MMA
Kazushi Sakuraba
Anderson Silva
Wanderlei Silva
GSP
would be my Mt Rushmore for the blokes

You could make an argument for Khabib and Mighty Mouse, but those are the guys I'd put down as "The Guys."

No room for the R-Gracies, and the bullshit "rules" that they demand whenever they fight. SO MUCH BULLSHIT when it came to those assholes.

Also, Conor McGregor. Yes, champ-champ and all that, but nah. Always weak against grappling, and just spouts so much shit. Like, so do I, but he does it on a grand stage. Also, lol at "only knock-outs are true wins." So you never beat Nate Diaz or Max Holloway, then? Also that old guy he punched not even reacting is never not funny.

For the ladies, it would be
Amanda Nunes
Valentina Shevchenko
Ayaka Hamasaki
Megumi Fujii
and, some people won't be happy with this, but Ronda Rousey.

When Rousey was focused on grappling, she completely dominated the women's bantamweight scene in the UFC, and it really was poor coaching by her coach Edmond Tarverdyan that really ruined her (HeAd MoVeMeNt!), convincing an Olympic medalist judoka to try to outbox a multitime women's boxing and kickboxing champion. Fucking lol, and might I add, lmao. Seeing as how Holm was immediately grapplefucked to oblivion by Miesha Tate in her first bantamweight title defence, a fighter that Rousey had been able to defeat in fairly dominant fashion in the past tells you all you need to know. Like, Tarverdyan is a dipship hackfuck fake coach that ruined the golden goose of his failing gym. Losing to Holm was shitty coaching while enablers all around her were screaming their heads off over how great her striking was (*cue that gif of Rousey doing that weird arm flailing thing. You know the one*). Losing to Nunes, well, basically everyone loses to Nunes. No shame in that.

Cris Cyborg can fuck off. She pisses so hot, I'm surprised the piss cup when she's drug tested doesn't melt from all the roids in her system.

Olympic wrestling
Aleksandr Karelin for the lads
Saori Yoshida for the ladies. Kaori Icho is in with a shout too.
I'm a god
How can you kill a god?
Shame on you, sweet Nerevar