No. 10 pecking order

Moderator: Sandydragon

Son of Mathonwy

No. 10 pecking order

Post by Son of Mathonwy »

It's early days but why not take stock of the outside half position?

https://www.walesonline.co.uk/sport/rug ... r-28099107

Ioan Lloyd was just ridiculously good last week, really now having to confidence to make those breaks when the opportunity presents itself, but very accurate with the boot too.
Costelow is the last 10 standing after the world cup and is promising, but clearly has some way to go.
Sheedy seems to be coming back into the picture with an excellent hat-trick of try-assists - three beautiful kicks (each a little different) to put his winger in. But in the same match his goal kicking was poor. I need to see more.
Owen Williams's form has not been good this season, totally outclassed by Walsh at the Ospreys.
Reed is promising but is massively handicapped by the team he plays in. It's a struggle to look good there as Sam Davies knows too well.
Ben Thomas doesn't look like he'll get an opportunity at 10 at Cardiff. But I'm not sure we have any great reason to think he's a good option at 10.
Tomos Williams is a bit of a crazy idea but if we get some injuries who knows? We have a conveyor belt of 9s.

If I had to pick now, I'd take Lloyd first, followed by Sheedy then Costelow. But we will learn a lot more before the 6N . . .
Numbers

Re: No. 10 pecking order

Post by Numbers »

Son of Mathonwy wrote: Tue Nov 14, 2023 10:48 am It's early days but why not take stock of the outside half position?

https://www.walesonline.co.uk/sport/rug ... r-28099107

Ioan Lloyd was just ridiculously good last week, really now having to confidence to make those breaks when the opportunity presents itself, but very accurate with the boot too.
Costelow is the last 10 standing after the world cup and is promising, but clearly has some way to go.
Sheedy seems to be coming back into the picture with an excellent hat-trick of try-assists - three beautiful kicks (each a little different) to put his winger in. But in the same match his goal kicking was poor. I need to see more.
Owen Williams's form has not been good this season, totally outclassed by Walsh at the Ospreys.
Reed is promising but is massively handicapped by the team he plays in. It's a struggle to look good there as Sam Davies knows too well.
Ben Thomas doesn't look like he'll get an opportunity at 10 at Cardiff. But I'm not sure we have any great reason to think he's a good option at 10.
Tomos Williams is a bit of a crazy idea but if we get some injuries who knows? We have a conveyor belt of 9s.

If I had to pick now, I'd take Lloyd first, followed by Sheedy then Costelow. But we will learn a lot more before the 6N . . .
That's where he represented Wales at age grade, he was impressive: don't listen to it with sound whatever you do the music is shocking.
pompey-zebra

Post by pompey-zebra »

Good to see Ioan Lloyd playing so well, as well as Sheedy showing a bit of form (yes, his goal kicking was poor against Exeter, but it seems to have been better in other games). Its a shame Jarrod Evans hasnt got enough caps as he's been playing well for Quins in Smith's absence.

In the Fail , Matt Sherratt says that Tomos W will be sticking to 9 for Cardiff, so playing 10 for Wales will probably be in an emergency if we see again.
Son of Mathonwy

Numbers wrote: Tue Nov 14, 2023 11:45 am
Son of Mathonwy wrote: Tue Nov 14, 2023 10:48 am
That's where he represented Wales at age grade, he was impressive:

don't listen to it with sound whatever you do the music is shocking.
Nice - well I'd like to see some more of that. Unfortunately there is a South African hogging that spot at Cardiff.

(Yeah, obviously the best way to enjoy rugby is to have generic dance muzak on repeat :shock: )
Sandydragon

Post by Sandydragon »

pompey-zebra wrote: Tue Nov 14, 2023 12:28 pm Good to see Ioan Lloyd playing so well, as well as Sheedy showing a bit of form (yes, his goal kicking was poor against Exeter, but it seems to have been better in other games). Its a shame Jarrod Evans hasnt got enough caps as he's been playing well for Quins in Smith's absence.

In the Fail , Matt Sherratt says that Tomos W will be sticking to 9 for Cardiff, so playing 10 for Wales will probably be in an emergency if we see again.
Tomos is probably our best scrum half going forward so I’m happy that we don’t mess him about too much other than in dire emergency.
pompey-zebra

Post by pompey-zebra »

Sheedy had another decent game against Bath ( another cross field kick led to a try), but again his goal kicking was off. Missed two penalties and a conversion, Bristol lost by a point and he went off with a HIA towards the end. Think Ioan lloyd might be ahead, if he can maintain his form and stay fit.
Sourdust

Post by Sourdust »

Thomas still interests me but I suspect he's more suited to a "2nd ⅝" role similar to Josh Hawkins. Sadly, Gatland historically does not favour footballing 12s.

Lloyd seems like the front-runner by default, the cupboard being as bare as it is. But we're going to have to bring on at least two new 10s in the next few years so I don't think anyone will (or should) nail down the jersey this season.
Son of Mathonwy

Sourdust wrote: Sun Nov 19, 2023 2:40 am Thomas still interests me but I suspect he's more suited to a "2nd ⅝" role similar to Josh Hawkins. Sadly, Gatland historically does not favour footballing 12s.

Lloyd seems like the front-runner by default, the cupboard being as bare as it is. But we're going to have to bring on at least two new 10s in the next few years so I don't think anyone will (or should) nail down the jersey this season.
Agreed, I don't like this talk of who'll be 'the future at 10' or 'filling Biggar's boots' or whatever. Let's just get the best players in. If anyone can nail it down good for them but that may not happen for a couple of years.
Sandydragon

Post by Sandydragon »

Son of Mathonwy wrote: Sun Nov 19, 2023 7:23 pm
Sourdust wrote: Sun Nov 19, 2023 2:40 am Thomas still interests me but I suspect he's more suited to a "2nd ⅝" role similar to Josh Hawkins. Sadly, Gatland historically does not favour footballing 12s.

Agreed, I don't like this talk of who'll be 'the future at 10' or 'filling Biggar's boots' or whatever. Let's just get the best players in. If anyone can nail it down good for them but that may not happen for a couple of years.
I also suspect that the fly half who takes us into the next RWC might not be an instant success and may need some time to settle. Hopefully he will be given some time to do that, but we all know that the media will be screaming for blood after one poor performance.
Son of Mathonwy

Lloyd is solidifying as the front runner here. Ridiculous x-factor agility, good game control, very good goalkicking (even if this week was a bit sub par).

Sheedy is looking good but still pretty shaky at the place-kicking. His shots curve to the left and he misses more than he should. But if we have 3 fly halves I'd take him.

Owen Williams has totally lost it at the goalkicking game. He's out of contention for me.

Dan Edwards looks promising, but needs a lot more time (the injury did not help).

Reed just has no chance to shine.
Sandydragon

Post by Sandydragon »

Son of Mathonwy wrote: Mon Dec 04, 2023 1:14 pm Lloyd is solidifying as the front runner here. Ridiculous x-factor agility, good game control, very good goalkicking (even if this week was a bit sub par).

Sheedy is looking good but still pretty shaky at the place-kicking. His shots curve to the left and he misses more than he should. But if we have 3 fly halves I'd take him.

Owen Williams has totally lost it at the goalkicking game. He's out of contention for me.

Dan Edwards looks promising, but needs a lot more time (the injury did not help).

Reed just has no chance to shine.
I'm really hoping that Lloyd gets an opportunity. Not really a 'Gatland' player but he's in great form. It will be interesting to see what the Scarlets do when Costelow returns. Reed has had some glimpses but I agree its really hard to look good when your pack has gotten totally done over. Ive not seen anything of Sheedy really, but arguably we know what he can bring to the party. If this year is going to be about moving to the future, perhaps its Costelow or Lloyd who should be getting the opportunities and if they don't work out then Sheedy can be brought back in.
Son of Mathonwy

Sheedy had a good game on the weekend, good goalkicking overall and a cool drop goal in the 85th minute to win.

Owen Williams was pretty good for the Ospreys. It looks like he's got some placekicking practice in.

I didn't see the Scarlets but it seems Lloyd had a good game in a defeated team.
pompey-zebra

Post by pompey-zebra »

The Fail's reporting that Sheedy's moving to Cardiff for next season. With only 16 caps, he'd fall foul of the 25 cap rule and wants to restart his Wales career
Son of Mathonwy

pompey-zebra wrote: Sat Jan 27, 2024 11:18 am The Fail's reporting that Sheedy's moving to Cardiff for next season. With only 16 caps, he'd fall foul of the 25 cap rule and wants to restart his Wales career
Looks like the cap rule isn't completely useless after all.
JonnyScuba

Post by JonnyScuba »

Would Sheedy's goal kicking get better being under Ruprek's tutelage?