Barry John

Moderator: Sandydragon

pompey-zebra

Barry John

Post by pompey-zebra »

More sad news of a 70's legend on the BBC:

Barry John, the legendary former Cardiff, Wales and British and Irish Lions fly-half has died aged 79.

John played in 25 internationals for Wales and five Tests for the Lions, one in South Africa in 1968 and four in New Zealand three years later.

A family statement read: "Barry John died peacefully today at the University Hospital of Wales surrounded by his loving wife and four children.

"He was a loving dad to his 11 grandchildren and much-loved brother."
francoisfou

Re: Barry John

Post by francoisfou »

An outstanding player who will forever be in my memories of that 1971 tour.
Sandydragon

Post by Sandydragon »

Another legend gone.

RIP
canta_brian

Post by canta_brian »

RIP. A sad loss
UKHamlet
Site Admin

Post by UKHamlet »

A very sad moment. I met Barry in the Queens Vaults in Westgate Street just before a Wales international. He was more interested in the League Cup final being played that same afternoon. I bought him a pint and he regaled me and my mate with tales of exploits from his playing years. He never had an unkind word for any of his peers. Soon enough he stopped, finished his pint and asked me if I was staying or going off to the game. I said I had time for one more. So he said his was a pint of best. I got another half hour of stories out of him but it was time to go after that. I never saw or spoke to him again but I'll treasure the memory of an hour with the finest fly-half to walk this Earth. Bar none. RIP Barry John. Always the King.
Son of Mathonwy

Post by Son of Mathonwy »

Very sad.
normanski

Post by normanski »

UKHamlet wrote: Sun Feb 04, 2024 7:02 pm A very sad moment. I met Barry in the Queens Vaults in Westgate Street just before a Wales international. He was more interested in the League Cup final being played that same afternoon. I bought him a pint and he regaled me and my mate with tales of exploits from his playing years. He never had an unkind word for any of his peers. Soon enough he stopped, finished his pint and asked me if I was staying or going off to the game. I said I had time for one more. So he said his was a pint of best. I got another half hour of stories out of him but it was time to go after that. I never saw or spoke to him again but I'll treasure the memory of an hour with the finest fly-half to walk this Earth. Bar none. RIP Barry John. Always the King.
Fantastic memory. I’m just so pleased to have seen him play in the 60/70s. What a player.
Banquo

Post by Banquo »

The greatest of the pre pro era 10's, charismatic, massive talent. RIP a true legend.