Wales squad for Ireland

Moderator: Sandydragon

pompey-zebra

Wales squad for Ireland

Post by pompey-zebra »

WALES XV: Cameron Winnett, Rio Dyer, George North, Nick Tompkins, Josh Adams, Sam Costelow, Tomos Williams; Gareth Thomas, Elliot Dee, Keiron Assiratti, Dafydd Jenkins ©, Adam Beard, Alex Mann, Tommy Reffell, Aaron Wainwright.

Replacements: Ryan Elias, Corey Domachowski, Dillon Lewis, Will Rowlands, Mackenzie Martin, Kieran Hardy, Ioan Lloyd, Mason Grady.
Numbers

Re: Wales squad for Ireland

Post by Numbers »

Nice to see Mackenzie Martin on the bench, other than that the team I expected.
UKHamlet
Site Admin

Post by UKHamlet »

I just don't get Costelow. He seems to be a work in progress to Welliedom, but what he offers right now escapes me.
Sandydragon

Post by Sandydragon »

OK, I'm a bit disappointed that Llouyd was dropped. He was at fault for the first English try but on the whole I thought the positives outweighed the negatives and it would have been fairer to allow him a run in the 10 shirt and let him develop. At least he is on the bench. Otherwise, no real surprises and Martin deserves an opportunity.
Son of Mathonwy

Post by Son of Mathonwy »

UKHamlet wrote: Tue Feb 20, 2024 12:46 pm I just don't get Costelow. He seems to be a work in progress to Welliedom, but what he offers right now escapes me.
To be fair to Costelow, he's twice as fast as Wellies ever was, but yeah, for me he'd be on the bench.
Son of Mathonwy

Sandydragon wrote: Tue Feb 20, 2024 2:01 pm OK, I'm a bit disappointed that Llouyd was dropped. He was at fault for the first English try but on the whole I thought the positives outweighed the negatives and it would have been fairer to allow him a run in the 10 shirt and let him develop. At least he is on the bench. Otherwise, no real surprises and Martin deserves an opportunity.
All this.

Also, Adams is just holding on to his place. I'm not sure he's even a better option than Rogers at the moment. Sure, there's a question mark over Grady which his yellow last time didn't help (even if he was an inch or two from an interception . . . and he probably saved a try). Luckily for Adams LRZ turned American and Feyi-Waboso turned traitor. And Giles is invisible.

At least we have a competent looking front row on the bench.
normanski

Post by normanski »

We’ve lost two close games against opposition which wasn’t of the highest order but the team has shown some real potential development in those matches.

Saturday is going to be a big step up and I’m just hoping Wales can put in another creditable performance. Certainly we don’t want to be nilled like Italy nor to have a really big gap between the scorelines.

Onwards and upwards!
Sandydragon

Post by Sandydragon »

normanski wrote: Wed Feb 21, 2024 10:29 am We’ve lost two close games against opposition which wasn’t of the highest order but the team has shown some real potential development in those matches.

Saturday is going to be a big step up and I’m just hoping Wales can put in another creditable performance. Certainly we don’t want to be nilled like Italy nor to have a really big gap between the scorelines.

Onwards and upwards!
Basically this. Ireland are overwhelming favourites and are a settled team building on the last few years. Wales have ripped u the team sheet and started again largely and are building for the 2027 RWC. We are where we are. I don't think I can name a better team with the players currently available so it will be 80 minutes of hoping we can pull a few surprises and maintain a credible performance. We have played well in 2 halves of rugby, Id be happy if we can be consistent for the full 80 and deliver a credible performance.
normanski

Post by normanski »

Sandydragon wrote: Wed Feb 21, 2024 11:19 am
normanski wrote: Wed Feb 21, 2024 10:29 am We’ve lost two close games against opposition which wasn’t of the highest order but the team has shown some real potential development in those matches.

Onwards and upwards!
Basically this. Ireland are overwhelming favourites and are a settled team building on the last few years. Wales have ripped u the team sheet and started again largely and are building for the 2027 RWC. We are where we are. I don't think I can name a better team with the players currently available so it will be 80 minutes of hoping we can pull a few surprises and maintain a credible performance. We have played well in 2 halves of rugby, Id be happy if we can be consistent for the full 80 and deliver a credible performance.
An eighty minute performance with some tries and then preventing Ireland from handing out a beasting like they did against a spirited Italy would be a half decent result for us. This game should be a good measure to see if we can continue to develop in the wat Gatland wants and demands.
Son of Mathonwy

I don't think we have an 80 minute performance in us, so I'll be pleased if we can put together a good 60+ minutes (provided that the other 20 minutes is damage limitation rather than car crash).

Keeping in touch on the scoreboard for as long as possible would be excellent. We need to be competitive, disciplined and keep focused especially for: 1) kick-offs, 2) immediately after a try (us or them), and 3) if we get carded. We cannot let them get a 'purple patch'. They will score tries - we can't let this break our resolve. They score a try, we shrug and continue with the plan.
normanski

Post by normanski »

I’m pleased the way our front five have performed in the scrums so far. Saturday will be a big step up for our pack. As SoM says we cannot let them have a purple patch especially if we’re down a man.

I would love to see young Cam emulate Keith Jarrett and score a try from way out.
Son of Mathonwy

Well the U20s have got me properly prepped for today's game. Optimism erased.
pompey-zebra

Post by pompey-zebra »

Son of Mathonwy wrote: Sat Feb 24, 2024 9:42 am Well the U20s have got me properly prepped for today's game. Optimism erased.
I recorded it last night. Accidentally caught the final score. Deleted it.

I've got today's game on record too....
Son of Mathonwy

pompey-zebra wrote: Sat Feb 24, 2024 10:01 am
Son of Mathonwy wrote: Sat Feb 24, 2024 9:42 am Well the U20s have got me properly prepped for today's game. Optimism erased.
I recorded it last night. Accidentally caught the final score. Deleted it.

I've got today's game on record too....
Yeah, I watched the U20s late last night. Picture-searched through the last 60 minutes. Not much there to enjoy in real-time. I might do the same today. I think it will be better than the U20s but I still expect to fast-forward past sections of it. Can't put myself through that shit at normal speed.
Son of Mathonwy

We could have had this guy playing for us today, but Gatland and Pivac weren't interested:

https://www.walesonline.co.uk/sport/rug ... e-28696662

The Scarlets weren't that interested either, to be honest.
normanski

Post by normanski »

Son of Mathonwy wrote: Sat Feb 24, 2024 12:27 pm We could have had this guy playing for us today, but Gatland and Pivac weren't interested:

Patchell at 30 probably wouldn’t figure in Gatland’s plans. He’s building towards the next RWC. Good to see him make a good start down under.
Son of Mathonwy

normanski wrote: Sat Feb 24, 2024 12:49 pm
Son of Mathonwy wrote: Sat Feb 24, 2024 12:27 pm We could have had this guy playing for us today, but Gatland and Pivac weren't interested:

Patchell at 30 probably wouldn’t figure in Gatland’s plans. He’s building towards the next RWC. Good to see him make a good start down under.
Patchell's never figured in Gatland's plans, so his age is moot. :)
bruce

Post by bruce »

He had another great game in a losing effort against the blues. Scored one try and had a significant hand in the others.