2024 Summer Internationals

Moderator: OptimisticJock

BaldiePete

2024 Summer Internationals

Post by BaldiePete »

Scotland are doing their bit for Tier 2 with a tour of the Americas in the summer. I’d guess we’re seeing this as a development tour so we’ll probably see fringe players getting a chance. I’d definitely like to see Finn rested for these matches and probably a few others like Fagerson (Z), DVDM, Schoeman and to start moving on from Gilchrist and Gray (R) in the 2nd row. If Darcy is fit, give him the chance to play international rugby again having completely missed out on the 6N.

Looking at other countries, England, Ireland and Wales have two matches against respectively NZ, South Africa and Australia plus single matches against Japan and South Africa for the English and Welsh. How come we are only getting Tier 2 matches, we need to measure ourselves against Tier countries.

Canada v Scotland
TD Place Stadium, Ottawa
Saturday 6th July 2024
Kick-off: TBC

USA v Scotland
Audi Field, Washington DC
Friday 12th July 2024

Chile v Scotland
Estadio Nacional, Santiago
Saturday 20th July 2024

Uruguay v Scotland
Estadio Charrua, Montevideo
Saturday 27th July 2024
Big D

Re: 2024 Summer Internationals

Post by Big D »

We chose to tour the smaller countries. Don't know why but apparently its partly our choice.

It's a strange one as the players we likely want to rest (Finn due paternity break around June IIRC) are those that might be away with the Lions next summer meaning two summers without being involved with the national team. Summer is often the longest coaches will get with the squad.

Second row is an area we need to get youth in.
Cameo

Post by Cameo »

I think it is only partly our choice. I thought Townsend was keen to tour the big 3.

Agree re second row. I think chuck in some youngsters and see. Williamson seems the big hope just now but there are a few. Don't know if Henderson will be fit?

In th3 backs, could be a good chance for Dobie, McDowall, Rowe, Paterson and a few others.

I'd be inclined to leave Darcy Graham at home and let him have a full pre season.
septic 9

Post by septic 9 »

a word of caution. This tour is I agree a chance to rest a few key players, blood some others

But it also fraught with danger should we underestimate the opposition.

Canada are shite.
USA much better but still very poor, but last time we toured there did we not lose?
The 2 south Americans are capable sides as per RWC. (and ditto Portugal in the AIs)

No chance to gain RWC ranking points, plenty of opportnities to lose a few. In the run up to the next RWC pool draw. We really could do without another pool with the top 2 teams in it as well as us
switchskier

Post by switchskier »

I actually like doing an America's tour and resting some key players. If we didn't then our best players would (hopefully) not have a full summer off until 2026 and then it would be launching into prep for RWC 2027.

While septic is right, we should be able to put out a pack that can at least gain parity with those teams and that's where I'd want to rest most players and generate more competition. I also think that we should be thinking positively about having rested players for the AIs and having a fully firing team aiming to get more points.

In terms of players I'd be fine with the entire front five being given the summer off. We need for depth and should be looking at:

- Ashman at hooker and two of Walker/Sebastian/Rae/Millar-Mills. I'd also be keen for one of Harrison or Hiddlestone to get some exposure. Someone needs to step up at loose head.

- rest Gilchrist and Gray and let Cummings hit next season fully fit. Young or Skinner are fine as experienced heads but let's look at two of Henderson/Sykes/Craig or jump straight to Samuel

- loads of options in the back row so rest Dempsey and Darge (who is already verging on crucial). I'd like to see Boyle involved - Edinburgh's approach to him frustrates me.

- Russell won't tour but I'm ok with Kinghorn being given a look and would like to see Thompson involved. Healy isn't there atm for me

- Leave DVDM at home: we need to be able to play without him occasionally. Want to see more of Patterson. Will Smith be fit?
Mikey Brown

Post by Mikey Brown »

See I agree with most of that, but Septic's point about the RWC rankings is valid. Yet again we come to the depth issue and the fact our vital, irreplaceable players make up at least half the team.

Ideally we'd rest the whole front 5, as well as 7-13, particularly for those of them with realistic Lions aspirations, but that's going to leave us with quite a vulnerable side. Maybe we'd take a more experienced squad and limit those guys to 2 games, but that still doesn't compare to having a summer of rest, both mentally and physically.

Even Darcy, despite not having played much, would arguably be better served in the long run getting a proper rest and pre-season.

Would we seriously go back to Kinghorn at 10? I've quite liked what I've seen from Healy to be honest, but that's not a whole lot. I've never seen much from Thompson to make me think he'll be a serious option at the top level, though I'd love to be proven wrong.

I'm not sure I can bring myself to see what that team looks like when typed out.
switchskier

Post by switchskier »

RWC rankings are absolutely valid, but I'm procrastinating so I'm happy to bash out a team, with an emphasis on resting older jey players and particularly those playing outside of direct SRU control. Its a significant drop off, but you're looking for a pack that can provide some decent ball and then I think those backs could do damage against relatively untried teams:

1. Hislop (resting Schoeman)
2. Ashman (resting Turner)
3. Walker (resting Faegerson)
4. Henderson (resting Gray)
5. Skinner (resting Gilchrist)
6. Ritchie (resting Christie)
7. Watson/Boyle (resting Sarge)
8. Faegerson (resting Dempsey)
9. Horne (resting White)
10. Kinghorn (resting Russell)
11. Rowe (resting Duhan)
12. McDowall (resting Redpath and Tuipolotu)
13. Hutchinson (resting Jones)
14. Steyn (resting Graham)
15. Patterson

16. Hiddlestone/Harrisson
17. ?
18. Sebastian/Rae
19. Young/Sykes/Samuel
20. Brown/Bayliss/Watson
21. Dobie/Velacott
22. Thompson/Healy
23. Smith/Currie/Bennett
septic 9

Post by septic 9 »

@switchskier

fun team, just a few issues.
Hislop, Hnederson,Brown and Smith are all long term injured, no idea when any will be fit.
Walker is yet again injured, no idea if its short or long term but TBH I'm close to giving up on him.
Young and Vellcaott are not and never will be good enough, sorry.
Redpath needs to travel, needs to prove he is worth his national place. Had a brilliant debut match, then some nice cameos but not done enough to cement a place, and some poor defensive stuff

I would not say the 4 opponents are untried, the 2 south americans we saw at the RWC are proven and pretty good. The other 2 will improve, we dont now where they will be at this summer TBF

Others you should consider if you want to focus on players who have every chance of being multi international players are Muncaster, Williamson, Ferrie and Afshar
switchskier

Post by switchskier »

septic 9 wrote: Thu Mar 21, 2024 2:36 pm @switchskier

fun team, just a few issues.
Hislop, Hnederson,Brown and Smith are all long term injured, no idea when any will be fit.
Walker is yet again injured, no idea if its short or long term but TBH I'm close to giving up on him.
Young and Vellcaott are not and never will be good enough, sorry.
Redpath needs to travel, needs to prove he is worth his national place. Had a brilliant debut match, then some nice cameos but not done enough to cement a place, and some poor defensive stuff

I would not say the 4 opponents are untried, the 2 south americans we saw at the RWC are proven and pretty good. The other 2 will improve, we dont now where they will be at this summer TBF

Others you should consider if you want to focus on players who have every chance of being multi international players are Muncaster, Williamson, Ferrie and Afshar
RWC will have been 9 months ago by then however. They're competitive but I think that the team above matches up well enough to take a calculated gamble that we should still win while blooding some players. It'll never happen of course.

I have in my head that Henderson and Smith should be back but no idea why (I evidently didn't bother to check). Forgot about Hislop and wasn't aware of Brown - he's had no luck.

I really like Muncaster but he needs to play. There's been chat about a foot injury but nothing definitive. I picked Samuel over Williamson but would be happy to see either.

I agree on Young, but he's a steady pair of hands that would start for the teams that we'll be facing. I can see a role for Vellacott as a game breaking change of pace - Afshar still feels quite raw to me- but it's rapidly approaching last chance saloon.
Cameo

Post by Cameo »

I'm happy with Kinghorn as in game backup 10 but I would prefer to see Hastings, Thompson, or Healy start there in the summer, probably in that order.

Will Crosbie still be out. He's someone who could do with the games but had some useful experience (arguably he is our first choice 6 based on the last couple of games where he has been fit!).