LRZ to NFL

Mellsblue

LRZ to NFL

Post by Mellsblue »

LRZ joins the Kansas City Chiefs!!!

https://www.espn.com/nfl/story/_/id/398 ... ees-zammit
FKAS

Re: Transfer news, rumours, suggestions, frenzied speculation, and outright lies - Season 2023-24

Post by FKAS »

Good team to join. With the rule changes re IPP roster additions and kick off returning he's got as good a shot as he's ever likely to get. Chiefs running game got a bit of criticism during the regular system and iirc Chiefs tended to have just the one go to running back (might be wrong there though). Be interesting to see if they use him in pre season.
switchskier

Re: Transfer news, rumours, suggestions, frenzied speculation, and outright lies - Season 2023-24

Post by switchskier »

FKAS wrote: Thu Mar 28, 2024 8:16 pm Good team to join. With the rule changes re IPP roster additions and kick off returning he's got as good a shot as he's ever likely to get. Chiefs running game got a bit of criticism during the regular system and iirc Chiefs tended to have just the one go to running back (might be wrong there though). Be interesting to see if they use him in pre season.
Pacheco is their main running back and LRZ isn't taking snaps from him. But they haven't yet brought back either of their third down backs from last year: Edwards-Hilare who was a first round pick who they didn't pick up the fifth year option on or McKinnon who is 31 now (ancient in RB terms).

But LRZ is still the wrong build for RB. Opinion seems to be that the evised kick-off laws should help him however.

His pro day stats are interesting, if only because of how poorly they compare to his competition at the NFL combine. I hope that his body is able to pick up more explosiveness with different training and it just hasn't taken effect yet.

4.43 in his 40-yard dash, a 9'7" broad jump and 29-inch vertical jump
FKAS

Post by FKAS »

switchskier wrote: Fri Mar 29, 2024 12:29 am
FKAS wrote: Thu Mar 28, 2024 8:16 pm Good team to join. With the rule changes re IPP roster additions and kick off returning he's got as good a shot as he's ever likely to get. Chiefs running game got a bit of criticism during the regular system and iirc Chiefs tended to have just the one go to running back (might be wrong there though). Be interesting to see if they use him in pre season.
Pacheco is their main running back and LRZ isn't taking snaps from him. But they haven't yet brought back either of their third down backs from last year: Edwards-Hilare who was a first round pick who they didn't pick up the fifth year option on or McKinnon who is 31 now (ancient in RB terms).

But LRZ is still the wrong build for RB. Opinion seems to be that the evised kick-off laws should help him however.

His pro day stats are interesting, if only because of how poorly they compare to his competition at the NFL combine. I hope that his body is able to pick up more explosiveness with different training and it just hasn't taken effect yet.

Yeah I saw something on his combine results to suggest that dash wise he was ok for a running back but slow compared to this year's draft WR and his jumps were poor. The again he wasn't happy with how he performed.

Running back is a brutal position in the NFL. As you say 31 is ancient for a reason. Give him a little space and see if he accelerate his way upfield fine but grabbing a couple of yards on third down in traffic not seeing that.
twitchy

Post by twitchy »

FKAS wrote: Thu Mar 28, 2024 8:16 pm

American sport is like trainspotting. :)
Mr Mwenda

Post by Mr Mwenda »

twitchy wrote: Fri Mar 29, 2024 8:33 am
FKAS wrote: Thu Mar 28, 2024 8:16 pm

American sport is like trainspotting. :)
Yes, where's the double bogey?
16th man

Post by 16th man »

FKAS wrote: Fri Mar 29, 2024 2:56 am

Yeah I saw something on his combine results to suggest that dash wise he was ok for a running back but slow compared to this year's draft WR and his jumps were poor. The again he wasn't happy with how he performed.
A lot of the guys he was up again will have been training for months just for the jumps they do at the combine, when LRZ was running at professional rugby defences.

The numbers out of those tests don't really mean much, it will be how he does on snap of plays that are designed for him in training that will be the acid test for him.
Spiffy

Post by Spiffy »

What are the comparable stats for top performers in the NFL?
Mellsblue

Re: LRZ to NFL

Post by Mellsblue »

I started a thread without even knowing it. RR God status achieved.
Puja

Post by Puja »

Mellsblue wrote: Fri Mar 29, 2024 4:45 pm I started a thread without even knowing it. RR God status achieved.
No charge. :P

Mod
Backist Monk
Mellsblue

Post by Mellsblue »

Puja wrote: Fri Mar 29, 2024 4:50 pm
Mellsblue wrote: Fri Mar 29, 2024 4:45 pm I started a thread without even knowing it. RR God status achieved.

Mod
:lol:

Would you mind moving the relevant chat from the NFL Draft thread? :D
switchskier

Post by switchskier »

Spiffy wrote: Fri Mar 29, 2024 4:19 pm

What are the comparable stats for top performers in the NFL?
I put this in the NFL chat. 40 yard dash very good. Vertical (measure of explosiveness) very bad. 3 cone, for route running, not available.

Deebo Samuel (South Carolina): 40 (4.48), BP (15), Vert (39), Broad (122), 3C, 20S (4.14), 60S

So a 29 inch vertical and 9'7" broad jump suggests less explosivity than Deebo (who tbf is a unicorn, even in NFL terms). 40 yard dash gets pundits excited but draftniks reckon it's not a useful metric for a wide receiver or running back. Hopefully room for LRZ to improve as the training kicks in.

Actually, after a bit more digging, his vertical is worse than every single wide receiver and running back at the 2019 combine except David Montgomery and every WR/RB in this years combine. His 40 is quick (top 3) but apparently of the 100 fastest 40s clocked at the combine for WR's, only one has a 1000 yard season.

I'd be really interested in his 3 come but can't find it anywhere. That's the acid test for a receiver.
Puja

Post by Puja »

Mellsblue wrote: Fri Mar 29, 2024 4:56 pm
Puja wrote: Fri Mar 29, 2024 4:50 pm

Mod
:lol:

Would you mind moving the relevant chat from the NFL Draft thread? :D
I've got no power here. Just enough juice to shove the thread over here, but no power over anything already in here. You'll have to bother morepork.

Puja
Backist Monk
Buggaluggs

Post by Buggaluggs »

I'm a Wales fan and a Bengals fan. So LRZ has essentially gone from my team to one of my biggest rival's teams.

I doubt he'll get many snaps in regular season games. He'll be practice squad material unless someone gets hurt. Still, he'll make some good money while he's doing it!! I'd love to see him get a crack at kickoff returns pre-season - just not against my Bengals.