Team for the Summer

Moderator: Sandydragon

Numbers

Re: Team for the Summer

Post by Numbers »

Son of Mathonwy wrote: Sun Apr 07, 2024 4:05 pm Another fine game for Morris. An inexplicably poor one from Owen Williams, luckily not enough to lose us the game. Class from Giles. Unfortunately Nagy got about 4 minutes of game time. What difference will all this make to the summer squad . . . ? Not much, I expect.
Quick question for you, who would you replace with Morgan Morris in the current squad?
Son of Mathonwy

Post by Son of Mathonwy »

Numbers wrote: Wed Apr 10, 2024 10:35 am
Son of Mathonwy wrote: Sun Apr 07, 2024 4:05 pm Another fine game for Morris. An inexplicably poor one from Owen Williams, luckily not enough to lose us the game. Class from Giles. Unfortunately Nagy got about 4 minutes of game time. What difference will all this make to the summer squad . . . ? Not much, I expect.
Quick question for you, who would you replace with Morgan Morris in the current squad?
Definitely Basham.
Numbers

Post by Numbers »

Son of Mathonwy wrote: Wed Apr 10, 2024 5:24 pm
Definitely Basham.
Fair shout, I suppose it'll be a bit more competitive with Plumtree, Faletau and Christ back from injury, it's sad that Rhys Davies is injured again I think he has the making of a very good player.
Son of Mathonwy

Numbers wrote: Wed Apr 10, 2024 8:04 pm

Definitely Basham.
Fair shout, I suppose it'll be a bit more competitive with Plumtree, Faletau and Christ back from injury, it's sad that Rhys Davies is injured again I think he has the making of a very good player.
Yeah, if everyone's fit (big if) then it's pretty hard to even get a squad place in the back row (Morgan, Reffell, Faletau, Wainwright, Plumtree, Tshiunza, Botham, Davies, Mann, Martin, Morris, Morse, Ratti, Tuipulotu, Deaves . . . Daf Jenkins???). Shame about Davies, as you say. He's got real potential to be our starting 6 but he needs time and he's just not getting it.
Numbers

Post by Numbers »

I see Tristan Davies has gone to SA for a bit, I think he has good potential, also Ryan Woodman looks like he has all the attributes to make it to the top.
Sandydragon

Post by Sandydragon »

Son of Mathonwy wrote: Wed Apr 10, 2024 11:20 pm
Numbers wrote: Wed Apr 10, 2024 8:04 pm
Definitely Basham.
Yeah, if everyone's fit (big if) then it's pretty hard to even get a squad place in the back row (Morgan, Reffell, Faletau, Wainwright, Plumtree, Tshiunza, Botham, Davies, Mann, Martin, Morris, Morse, Ratti, Tuipulotu, Deaves . . . Daf Jenkins???). Shame about Davies, as you say. He's got real potential to be our starting 6 but he needs time and he's just not getting it.
Back row is a position of depth, although clearly Faletau remains the best option at no8, I don't think even Wainright can fully surpass him yet, and we don't have too many players who fit the mould of an abrasive blindside.
Son of Mathonwy

Numbers wrote: Thu Apr 11, 2024 10:40 am I see Tristan Davies has gone to SA for a bit, I think he has good potential, also Ryan Woodman looks like he has all the attributes to make it to the top.
Yeah, hope Davies gets some game time, same for Woodman at the Dragons - he needs more. I keep thinking of Woodman as a lock because that's where he first appeared at the U20s but he seems to be a 6 now.

That's the thing, just like with 12, we have plenty of options at 6 but no one has stood out other than Wainwright.
Sandydragon

Post by Sandydragon »

Son of Mathonwy wrote: Thu Apr 11, 2024 1:33 pm
Numbers wrote: Thu Apr 11, 2024 10:40 am I see Tristan Davies has gone to SA for a bit, I think he has good potential, also Ryan Woodman looks like he has all the attributes to make it to the top.
Yeah, hope Davies gets some game time, same for Woodman at the Dragons - he needs more. I keep thinking of Woodman as a lock because that's where he first appeared at the U20s but he seems to be a 6 now.

That's the thing, just like with 12, we have plenty of options at 6 but no one has stood out other than Wainwright.
Agreed. These prospects need game time to see who can progress and who can't.
Graigwen

Post by Graigwen »

Owen Williams seemed to have great promise when he was younger, but has somewhat failed to live up to that. There is no doubt he can be very good at times, but he is inconsistent. With our current problems at 10 it was the ideal time for him to show he is good international standard, but has failed to do so. He has cemented his role as backup backup if we are desperate.