Update on the Rec Saga #CXXVII

Moderator: Puja

Puja

Re: Update on the Rec Saga #CXXVII

Post by Puja »

I mean, let's face it, it won't actually happen. The new stadium has been "2-3 years away" since I moved to Bath in 2003 and probably before that. I'll believe in its imminent existence when the first brick goes down, not before.

Puja
Backist Monk
Which Tyler

Post by Which Tyler »

Must admit, I don't recall a time where it was ever 2-3 years away; more like 5-10.

IIRC this is the 1st time it's got as far as submitting for planning permission - by memory, it reach consultation before the last legal challenge, and this time, there's no higher court to take a challenge to, so it'll just be arguments on planning, not existence.
I still expect the planning application to take years, and there's still the possibility that the money isn't there to actually build the thing.
FKAS

Post by FKAS »

Surely naming rights on the stands and the ground itself will help to cover a chunk of the costs. Selling three year season tickets etc could be another tactic to boost the cash position (from memory Tigers did something similar with the CAT stand).
Oakboy

Post by Oakboy »

FKAS wrote: Thu Sep 28, 2023 7:38 am Surely naming rights on the stands and the ground itself will help to cover a chunk of the costs. Selling three year season tickets etc could be another tactic to boost the cash position (from memory Tigers did something similar with the CAT stand).
Didn't the Cardiff stadium sell franchise seat rights advantageously? I think a lump sum (£2000ish?) just gave the holder permanent 1st refusal rights on the seat ticket purchase for all events. Something like that, anyway.
Puja

Post by Puja »

Which Tyler wrote: Thu Sep 28, 2023 7:23 am Must admit, I don't recall a time where it was ever 2-3 years away; more like 5-10.

IIRC this is the 1st time it's got as far as submitting for planning permission - by memory, it reach consultation before the last legal challenge, and this time, there's no higher court to take a challenge to, so it'll just be arguments on planning, not existence.
I still expect the planning application to take years, and there's still the possibility that the money isn't there to actually build the thing.
I am (mostly) being flippant about saying it'll never happen - this is definitely the furthest they've got and at the very least they're no longer having to deal with idiots trying to get it declared a village green anymore. However, Bath's movement on this, even outside the frivolous legal challenges, has been glacial and I am no longer enthused until it actually looks likely to go.

Puja
Backist Monk
Which Tyler

Post by Which Tyler »

That's fair.
I'm choosing to be optimistic, and hope that they've spent this time getting all their ducks in a row for the planning process.
FKAS

Post by FKAS »

So moving on at pace then.
Which Tyler

Post by Which Tyler »

approximately the pace of an agoraphobic snail
Puja

Post by Puja »

Puja wrote: Thu Sep 28, 2023 8:11 am
Which Tyler wrote: Thu Sep 28, 2023 7:23 am Must admit, I don't recall a time where it was ever 2-3 years away; more like 5-10.

I am (mostly) being flippant about saying it'll never happen - this is definitely the furthest they've got and at the very least they're no longer having to deal with idiots trying to get it declared a village green anymore. However, Bath's movement on this, even outside the frivolous legal challenges, has been glacial and I am no longer enthused until it actually looks likely to go.
7 months down the line and they are now appointing a partner who will help them with looking at maybe submitting the planning application "later on this year".

Yet I still had a frisson of excitement when I saw a new post in the thread and looked excitedly to see what had happened. Apparently I will never learn.

Puja
Backist Monk
Which Tyler

Post by Which Tyler »

Puja wrote: Fri Apr 19, 2024 4:54 pm7 months down the line and they are now appointing a partner who will help them with looking at maybe submitting the planning application "later on this year".

Yet I still had a frisson of excitement when I saw a new post in the thread and looked excitedly to see what had happened. Apparently I will never learn.
16th man

Post by 16th man »

Which Tyler

Post by Which Tyler »

From the members' event

Q. What news on the Stadium?
A. Tarquin gave a brief summary of status
* Bath’s Application has been studied by interested bodies.
* Most feedback is in
* Bath are making (small) adjustments in response
* These will be submitted as an update
* Expect to go to Planning committee later this year.
Puja

Post by Puja »

Which Tyler wrote: Thu May 09, 2024 8:43 am * Bath’s Application has been studied by interested bodies.
I don't know I'm even interested anymore, just resigned to having my chain yanked.

Puja
Backist Monk
Which Tyler

Post by Which Tyler »

I still care - but it feels like zero progress since the last application (which, in fairness, was withdrawn, rather than rejected, as far as I can tell).

Last time, all bar one stakeholder had given their input before the plans were put forward. The one (English Heritage IIRC) gave their feedback at the last minute, and was the only body not in broadly supportive.
Having had (broadly supportive) feedback from almost all stakeholders, sounds exactly like the last time.