Brits abroad

Moderator: Puja

Mikey Brown

Re: Brits abroad

Post by Mikey Brown »

Look out Owen Farrell, there’s another guy in the league who also isn’t going to playing for England! What does that even mean?

Are Racing at the summit of the Top 14? I thought they were ambling around mid table?

Anyway. Good for Henry I guess? Sounds like a good guy with a great attitude, who’s been through some shit.
FKAS

Post by FKAS »

Zack Henry always came across as a good bloke and a character at Tigers. Natural footballer you could say, played 10 and 15. Glad he's progressed nicely and liked his time at Welford Road. I thought it was a touch harsh to move him (and McPhillips though not as harsh) on so we could bring back Freddie Burns but it all worked out in the end.

I think it was on the Rugby Pass podcast with Lahiff where he talks about what it was like playing in the French lower leagues if anyone has a spare hour for an entertaining listen.
Mellsblue

Post by Mellsblue »

Mikey Brown wrote: Tue Apr 02, 2024 8:44 am Look out Owen Farrell, there’s another guy in the league who also isn’t going to playing for England! What does that even mean?

Are Racing at the summit of the Top 14? I thought they were ambling around mid table?

Anyway. Good for Henry I guess? Sounds like a good guy with a great attitude, who’s been through some shit.
He plays for Stade. Racing are third.
Mikey Brown

Post by Mikey Brown »

I know Henry plays for Stade. The summit bit was referring to Farrell though. I didn't think Racing were as high up the table as third, to be fair.

I guess I just don't get this article. There are a whole bunch of non-superstar English players in the Top 14.
Mellsblue

Post by Mellsblue »

Mikey Brown wrote: Tue Apr 02, 2024 10:55 am I know Henry plays for Stade. The summit bit was referring to Farrell though. I didn't think Racing were as high up the table as third, to be fair.
My bad.
francoisfou

Post by francoisfou »

Toulouse v Racing in the round of the last 16 in the Champions' Cup on Sunday has the makings of a cracker.

Blair Kinghorn will wear 15 and Jack Wills 6 for Toulouse, and for Racing, Henri Arundell 14, Will Rowlands 4 and Christian Wade 23

Dupont and Ntamack are the Toulouse half backs, but Racing won't have their first choice half backs Le Garrec and Gibert, due to injuries.
francoisfou

Post by francoisfou »

Sam and Joe Simmonds will on opposing sides in tomorrow's Top14 fixture, Pau v Montpellier and Dan Robson will be on the bench for Pau.
Harry Williams will be on the bench for Montpellier.

Another pair of brothers are in the Pau starting XV, Sam and Luke Whitelock.

Pau need a win to get back into the first 6 to qualify for the play offs and Montpellier are currently 13th, and the side in 13th place at the end of the season will travel to the runner-up in ProD2 with the winner playing in the Top14 next season.
Puja

Post by Puja »

Geoff Parling has joined the Australian coaching team under Joe Schmidt. Astute signing for Australia (especially with Schmidt picking up Laurie Fisher as well - looks like there's hope of a Wallabies renaissance) - hopefully he'll bring all this learning back to an English job as well at some point in the future.

Puja
Backist Monk
Puja

Post by Puja »

francoisfou wrote: Fri Apr 19, 2024 5:55 pm Sam and Joe Simmonds will on opposing sides in tomorrow's Top14 fixture, Pau v Montpellier and Dan Robson will be on the bench for Pau.
Harry Williams will be on the bench for Montpellier.

Another pair of brothers are in the Pau starting XV, Sam and Luke Whitelock.

Pau need a win to get back into the first 6 to qualify for the play offs and Montpellier are currently 13th, and the side in 13th place at the end of the season will travel to the runner-up in ProD2 with the winner playing in the Top14 next season.
Was wondering whether that was perhaps why we haven't heard of a destination for the Vunipolae yet. They are famous for refusing to play against each other (with Mako refusing selection on the last time it was possible for them to be on opposite sides), but it's got to be much more difficult to sell an expensive double-act to a club than it is to sell just an 8 or just a loosehead.

Puja
Backist Monk
FKAS

Post by FKAS »

Puja wrote: Sat Apr 20, 2024 12:03 pm Geoff Parling has joined the Australian coaching team under Joe Schmidt. Astute signing for Australia (especially with Schmidt picking up Laurie Fisher as well - looks like there's hope of a Wallabies renaissance) - hopefully he'll bring all this learning back to an English job as well at some point in the future.

Puja
He's said that his family is settled and they consider Australia home so I doubt it'll be any time soon.
Puja

Post by Puja »

FKAS wrote: Sat Apr 20, 2024 12:10 pm
Puja wrote: Sat Apr 20, 2024 12:03 pm Geoff Parling has joined the Australian coaching team under Joe Schmidt. Astute signing for Australia (especially with Schmidt picking up Laurie Fisher as well - looks like there's hope of a Wallabies renaissance) - hopefully he'll bring all this learning back to an English job as well at some point in the future.

Puja
He's said that his family is settled and they consider Australia home so I doubt it'll be any time soon.
Aw piss. Always a risk and can't really blame him. Good luck to him over there in that case, although hopefully not too much luck when they play us.

Puja
Backist Monk
FKAS

Post by FKAS »

Puja wrote: Sat Apr 20, 2024 12:21 pm
FKAS wrote: Sat Apr 20, 2024 12:10 pm

Puja
Aw piss. Always a risk and can't really blame him. Good luck to him over there in that case, although hopefully not too much luck when they play us.

Puja
He's been there since 2018 having retired at the Rebels and immediately started coaching there afterwards. Probably well settled by now.
francoisfou

Post by francoisfou »

This evening will see the last regular round of fixtures in ProD2 before the promotion and relegation play-offs, and several Brits (and honorary Brits) will be involved.
There's a chance that the once great club Biarritz Olympique, currently wallowing in 14th place and only three points above the 14th placed side Montauban could be relegated, and if Montauban win away to Aurillac and Biarritz lose to promotion-chasing Brive, then Biarritz will have to play the runner-up in tomorrow's Nationale final, either Nice or Narbonne - a sudden death match to be avoided at all costs. Agen, another great club of the past are in the wrong end of the table too in 13th. Provence, currently 1st will have a guaranteed home semi-final as will 2nd placed Vannes.

Brive v Biarritz - For Brive 12 Sam Johnson (ex Edinburgh and Scotland), 10 Stuart Olding, 8 Ross Moriarty. For Biarritz 5 Charlie Matthews, 10 Billy Searle, 13 Jonathan Joseph, 14 Zack Kibirige

Agen v Vannes - For Agen 4 Joe Maksymiw (ex Leicester)

Mont de Marsan v Rouen - For Rouen 5 Will Witty (ex Falcons and Chiefs)

Colomiers v Valence Romans - For VR 22 George Worth (ex Leicester)

Provence v Grenoble - For Provence 10 Jimmy Gopperth, 8 Teimana Harrison, 3 Tomas Francis. For Grenoble 4 Pierce Philips (ex Wuss and Edinburgh)

Angoulême v Béziers - For Angoulême 10 Ben Botica. For Béziers 15 Harry Glynn (ex Leicester)
Mellsblue

Post by Mellsblue »

Funny how some of the traditional French powerhouses are struggling but the Top 14 is thriving more than ever. *insert thinking emoji here*