NFL Draft

Big D

Re: NFL Draft

Post by Big D »

So a pretty damning stat for Jackson.

He is 0-4 in playoffs if his defence conceded more than 13 points.
Mellsblue

Post by Mellsblue »

Daniel Jones is 100% and he’s average.
Buggaluggs

Post by Buggaluggs »

I'm a Bengals fan, so get to see Jackson a lot. And we've been on the receiving end of a few thumpings. However, it does seem that when the chips are down, Burrow, Mahomes play their best. Jackson seems to be at his worst.
switchskier

Post by switchskier »

Monken has to take some of the flak for that game plan though. Best rushing attack in the league had four attempts in the first half. They kept looking for the big play when the Chiefs beat linebacker in pass defence was out. Just didn't get it right at all.
switchskier

Post by switchskier »

Favourite set of figures from Superbowl week so far:

Mahomes cost the chiefs $53,048 per pass attempt

Purdy cost the 49ers $49,402 per game.
switchskier

Post by switchskier »

Gutted.

Shanahan loses another game by getting away from the run. Got back to it late but lost that game in the third quarter.

What with the Scotland game that was a real weekend of sporting heartbreak.
Banquo

Post by Banquo »

switchskier wrote: Mon Feb 12, 2024 3:52 am Gutted.

Shanahan loses another game by getting away from the run. Got back to it late but lost that game in the third quarter.

is/was Kittle crocked? He's been almost invisible post season. Mccaffery bar 1st fumble had a remarkable match.
switchskier

Post by switchskier »

Banquo wrote: Mon Feb 12, 2024 8:35 am

is/was Kittle crocked? He's been almost invisible post season. Mccaffery bar 1st fumble had a remarkable match.
He has a toe injury coming in. But I think it just wasn't the game plan for him to get a lot of targets.

It wasn't a great game plan.
Banquo

Post by Banquo »

switchskier wrote: Mon Feb 12, 2024 10:13 am
Banquo wrote: Mon Feb 12, 2024 8:35 am

He has a toe injury coming in. But I think it just wasn't the game plan for him to get a lot of targets.

It wasn't a great game plan.
They started well... :lol:

.given they used the full back for receptions :) you'd think maybe one of the great tightends of the game might have got more than two passes.
switchskier

Post by switchskier »

Could find the Rees Zammit thread so thought I'd put this here. NFL evidently keen for him to be a success.

https://www.nfl.com/news/welsh-rugby-st ... er-pro-day
Mellsblue

Post by Mellsblue »

I spent ages looking it and the chat was on the EMB transfer thread, obvs!
Yep, his 40m was rapid. I read* he’s been clocked at 4.42 in training. IPP players allowed on all 32 teams’ practice squads from this year will also help him.
The same article said Mallinder had impressed, with the caveat that it was his stature rather than punting, and one of the gaelic football kickers went 100%.
Mellsblue

Post by Mellsblue »

What’s everyone’s thoughts on where the top 4 QBs go?
I could see from four from four, or more likely five. Harrison Jnr to the Cards seems far too obvs if it’s Williams, Maye/Daniels and Daniels/Maye in the first three picks.
switchskier

Post by switchskier »

Mellsblue wrote: Sat Mar 23, 2024 11:12 am What’s everyone’s thoughts on where the top 4 QBs go?
I could see from four from four, or more likely five. Harrison Jnr to the Cards seems far too obvs if it’s Williams, Maye/Daniels and Daniels/Maye in the first three picks.
Williams is going first, that seems set in stone.

Maye or Daniels to the Commanders. I can't see them trading the pick given they have no other options. I lean towards Maye based on the players that the 49ers drafted when the Commanders GM was with them and reckon that would be the right pick.

I think that the Patriots will also go QB, so that's Daniels. I also think that he'll be traded/benched after two years because there will be nothing positive around him to help him succeed, whomever it is. They should pick Harrison or trade out.

Cardinals at four is where it gets interesting. Either they take Harrison or they trade down for a boatload of picks because McCarthy has really impressed someone. It cost the niners three firsts to move from 12 up to 3 a couple of seasons back and Minnesota is at 11, with Denver at 12 another candidate.That sort of haul would be really tough to turn down, even for a player as good as Harisson (and watching Ohio, he is really good). But they already have an extra first this year and at some point you have to start taking good players. What I can see them doing is trading with the Giants and taking Nabers or Alt at 6 instead and banking another extra first next year. Or maybe that's just what I would do.

So I think history is made and four QB's go in the first four picks, with the Chargers getting lucky and taking Harrison at 5.
switchskier

Post by switchskier »

LRZ signing with the Chiefs apparently. Have never heard of an IPP player getting picked up that quickly so will be interesting to see whether he's getting on an initial 90 man roster without the exemption.

Chiefs is a good place to end up. Whilst it's a good roster, with excellent coaching, they have a collection of good not great receivers and they just lost their tall, very fast deep threat in Valdez Scantling (who is pretty poor at tracking and catching the ball). At running back he's not going to take snaps from Pacheco, with Edwards Hilare is moving on and McKinnon is good, but old and injury prone.
Banquo

Post by Banquo »

switchskier wrote: Thu Mar 28, 2024 12:11 am LRZ signing with the Chiefs apparently. Have never heard of an IPP player getting picked up that quickly so will be interesting to see whether he's getting on an initial 90 man roster without the exemption.

Chiefs is a good place to end up. Whilst it's a good roster, with excellent coaching, they have a collection of good not great receivers and they just lost their tall, very fast deep threat in Valdez Scantling (who is pretty poor at tracking and catching the ball). At running back he's not going to take snaps from Pacheco, with Edwards Hilare is moving on and McKinnon is good, but old and injury prone.
fair play, didn't think he was making the right move, but couldn't have started much better
Mellsblue

Post by Mellsblue »

https://www.espn.com/nfl/story/_/id/398 ... ees-zammit

Sounds like running back, kick returner and wide receiver as the hierarchy of positions, albeit you’d expect kick returner to be his fastest route in to the team.
It’ll be interesting to know his contract. He turned down £450k at Glos.
Mellsblue

Post by Mellsblue »

Piece in today’s Times:

‘NFL deal for Rees-Zammit
Elgan Alderman
Louis Rees-Zammit is set to sign for Kansas City Chiefs, the Super Bowl champions, two months after quitting rugby union to pursue his dream in the NFL.

The 23-year-old former Wales and British & Irish Lions wing has been visiting clubs over the past week after taking part in the pro day for those on the International Player Pathway (IPP). Rees-Zammit recorded a time of 4.43sec for the 40-yard dash, marking him out as fast enough to play in the NFL. Scouts from 31 teams were there to watch him demonstrate his athleticism, with his footwork and agility catching the eye.

Rees-Zammit made the shock decision to leave the Gallagher Premiership side Gloucester in January, hours before Warren Gatland, the Wales head coach, was set to name him in the squad for the Six Nations.

The wing, who has been capped 32 times by Wales and went on the 2021 Lions tour to South Africa, described the chance to join the IPP at the time as a “once-in-a-lifetime-opportunity”.

This week Rees-Zammit trained with Kansas City, who count the pop star Taylor Swift as their most famous fan, and is set to sign for the franchise today as a running back-wide receiver, having also met the New York Jets, Cleveland Browns and Denver Broncos.

He has signed with Roc Nation Sports, the management company founded by the rap artist Jay-Z, of which the South Africa and England rugby players, Siya Kolisi and Maro Itoje, are clients.

Rees-Zammit has cited Christian McCaffrey and Deebo Samuel, of the San Francisco 49ers, as players he would seek to emulate. His 40-yard time was slightly better than that of both players, who each clocked 4.48sec at their NFL Combines. Rees-Zammit could also be a kick returner, and changes to the kick-off rules for next season — designed to improve player safety and make the set piece more exciting — could help him in that regard.

“A bit disappointed in my 40 [yard time],” he said after his pro day. “Last week I was getting some really good times. I was getting low 4.3s, high 4.2s.

“It’s just what happens on the day. But I know I can run that fast. I’m not trying to make excuses or anything, but I know what I can do and I’m happy with how the day went. Catching kick-offs, catch and kick receipts, punt receipts, there’s a lot of transferable skills, and I think running back shows up probably best, getting the ball in my hand early, being able to pick a gap, being able to be aware of the surroundings.”

The Chiefs have been the NFL’s most high-profile team for the past five years.

They ended a 50-year drought by becoming champions in 2020 and have won the past two Super Bowls. Their star players are the quarterback Patrick Mahomes and the tight end Travis Kelce, who is Swift’s boyfriend.

Rees-Zammit’s contract will not guarantee that he will play at Super Bowl LIX in New Orleans next year — or even in the NFL. There are a variety of deals on offer which involve a player being in summer or practice squads, aiming to make it on to the active 53-man playing roster. Under the IPP scheme, every franchise can carry an extra 17th member in their practice squad next season. Given that allowance, a place on the practice squad is the most likely outcome. That would earn him $12,000 (about £9,500) a week — $216,000 over a season. If he made the playing roster as a rookie, the minimum annual salary is $750,000.’

A couple of things:
A low 4.3 let alone a high 4.2 40 yard dash is insane. I’d like to know his 10 & 20 yard splits given his broad and vert.
Big pay drop unless he’s promoted off the practice squad (anyone know if there’s a mandatory payment for game day elevations ?)
Poor old Travis Kelce. One of the best TEs of all time and he’s now Taylor Swift’s boyfriend, even in the sport pages.
switchskier

Post by switchskier »

Mellsblue wrote: Fri Mar 29, 2024 10:21 am Piece in today’s Times:

‘NFL deal for Rees-Zammit
Elgan Alderman
Louis Rees-Zammit is set to sign for Kansas City Chiefs, the Super Bowl champions, two months after quitting rugby union to pursue his dream in the NFL.

The 23-year-old former Wales and British & Irish Lions wing has been visiting clubs over the past week after taking part in the pro day for those on the International Player Pathway (IPP). Rees-Zammit recorded a time of 4.43sec for the 40-yard dash, marking him out as fast enough to play in the NFL. Scouts from 31 teams were there to watch him demonstrate his athleticism, with his footwork and agility catching the eye.

Rees-Zammit made the shock decision to leave the Gallagher Premiership side Gloucester in January, hours before Warren Gatland, the Wales head coach, was set to name him in the squad for the Six Nations.

The wing, who has been capped 32 times by Wales and went on the 2021 Lions tour to South Africa, described the chance to join the IPP at the time as a “once-in-a-lifetime-opportunity”.

This week Rees-Zammit trained with Kansas City, who count the pop star Taylor Swift as their most famous fan, and is set to sign for the franchise today as a running back-wide receiver, having also met the New York Jets, Cleveland Browns and Denver Broncos.

He has signed with Roc Nation Sports, the management company founded by the rap artist Jay-Z, of which the South Africa and England rugby players, Siya Kolisi and Maro Itoje, are clients.

Rees-Zammit has cited Christian McCaffrey and Deebo Samuel, of the San Francisco 49ers, as players he would seek to emulate. His 40-yard time was slightly better than that of both players, who each clocked 4.48sec at their NFL Combines. Rees-Zammit could also be a kick returner, and changes to the kick-off rules for next season — designed to improve player safety and make the set piece more exciting — could help him in that regard.

“A bit disappointed in my 40 [yard time],” he said after his pro day. “Last week I was getting some really good times. I was getting low 4.3s, high 4.2s.

“It’s just what happens on the day. But I know I can run that fast. I’m not trying to make excuses or anything, but I know what I can do and I’m happy with how the day went. Catching kick-offs, catch and kick receipts, punt receipts, there’s a lot of transferable skills, and I think running back shows up probably best, getting the ball in my hand early, being able to pick a gap, being able to be aware of the surroundings.”

The Chiefs have been the NFL’s most high-profile team for the past five years.

They ended a 50-year drought by becoming champions in 2020 and have won the past two Super Bowls. Their star players are the quarterback Patrick Mahomes and the tight end Travis Kelce, who is Swift’s boyfriend.

Rees-Zammit’s contract will not guarantee that he will play at Super Bowl LIX in New Orleans next year — or even in the NFL. There are a variety of deals on offer which involve a player being in summer or practice squads, aiming to make it on to the active 53-man playing roster. Under the IPP scheme, every franchise can carry an extra 17th member in their practice squad next season. Given that allowance, a place on the practice squad is the most likely outcome. That would earn him $12,000 (about £9,500) a week — $216,000 over a season. If he made the playing roster as a rookie, the minimum annual salary is $750,000.’

A couple of things:
A low 4.3 let alone a high 4.2 40 yard dash is insane. I’d like to know his 10 & 20 yard splits given his broad and vert.
Big pay drop unless he’s promoted off the practice squad (anyone know if there’s a mandatory payment for game day elevations ?)
Poor old Travis Kelce. One of the best TEs of all time and he’s now Taylor Swift’s boyfriend, even in the sport pages.
Deebo Samuel (South Carolina): 40 (4.48), BP (15), Vert (39), Broad (122), 3C, 20S (4.14), 60S

So a 29 inch vertical and 9'7" broad jump suggests less explosivity than Deebo (who tbf is a unicorn, even in NFL terms). 40 yard dash gets pundits excited but draftniks reckon it's not a useful metric for a wide receiver or running back. Hopefully room for LRZ to improve as the training kicks in.

Actually, after a bit more digging, his vertical is worse than every single wide receiver and running back at the 2019 combine except David Montgomery and every WR/RB in this years combine. His 40 is quick (top 3) but apparently of the 100 fastest 40s clocked at the combine for WR's, only one has a 1000 yard season.

I'd be really interested in his 3 come but can't find it anywhere. That's the acid test for a receiver.
Mellsblue

Post by Mellsblue »

So what are your realistic hopes for tonight/early tomorrow morning? For the New York Football Giants:

Ecstatic: Maye falls to 6
Delighted: Trade up for Maye
Very happy: draft one of the big three receivers.
Happy: trade back in to ‘QB alley’ - Vikings, Raiders, Broncos - for a haul and Q. Mitchell or T. Arnold.
Can live with it: McCarthy at 6, but it’s a big trust Schoen and Daboll moment.
Can live with it but seriously unexcited by it: Alt at 6 and kick Neal to guard.
switchskier

Post by switchskier »

Mellsblue wrote: Thu Apr 25, 2024 8:51 am So what are your realistic hopes for tonight/early tomorrow morning? For the New York Football Giants:

Happy: trade back in to ‘QB alley’ - Vikings, Raiders, Broncos - for a haul and Q. Mitchell or T. Arnold.
Can live with it but seriously unexcited by it: Alt at 6 and kick Neal to guard.
For my niners:

Ecstatic - Fautanu or Fuaga slides to 31 (unlikely).
Delighted - trade up a few slots using our plethora of day three picks (but not our second) to get Fautanu or Fuaga.
Very Happy - trading back and having multiple high-mid day 2 picks
Happy - Sitting at 31 and taking one of the centres, Suimatia, De Jean or Wiggins
Unhappy - trading Aiyuk only to replace with a round one receiver that isn't one of the big three, though ok with it if we get a 20 or higher pick that gets us Fautanu, keep 31 and draft someone on day 2.

My predictions are above. I'm sticking with Maye at 2, despite the noise that it will be Daniels. Anyone else want to stick their neck out?
Mellsblue

Post by Mellsblue »

From everything I’ve read and listened to it should be Maye at 2 but there’s the Kingsbury factor to weigh-in. If Maye gets past 2 I think all bets are off. Any one of four teams could trade up or Pats could go with McCarthy.
switchskier

Post by switchskier »

Mellsblue wrote: Thu Apr 25, 2024 8:51 am So what are your realistic hopes for tonight/early tomorrow morning? For the New York Football Giants:

Feeling very happy then? Nabers should be a slam dunk and no more excuses for Jones now. He's got the weapons, proven play caller and an o-line that's had resources poured into.it.

Penix to falcons is a weird one. Can't imagine that either QB is happy about that scenario.

Niners loading up on experienced, solid players. Couldn't really be more in win now mode. Really frustrated that we allowed the Chiefs to take Suamataia one pick ahead of us. I wanted him as Williams long term heir.
Mellsblue

Post by Mellsblue »

switchskier wrote: Sat Apr 27, 2024 11:24 am

Feeling very happy then? Nabers should be a slam dunk and no more excuses for Jones now. He's got the weapons, proven play caller and an o-line that's had resources poured into.it.

Penix to falcons is a weird one. Can't imagine that either QB is happy about that scenario.

Niners loading up on experienced, solid players. Couldn't really be more in win now mode. Really frustrated that we allowed the Chiefs to take Suamataia one pick ahead of us. I wanted him as Williams long term heir.
Very happy, albeit I wanted some drama if I’m getting up at 1am on Friday morning. Also happy with Day 2 even if I was hoping one of the CBs might fall to us.

Jeremiah and friends agree re Penix even down to fact that the two need completely different offences to operate at their best.

Everyone seems to love the Pearsall pick.