First rant on new board

Moderator: Puja

onlynameleft

First rant on new board

Post by onlynameleft »

Would it really be too difficult for World Rugby to step in and standardise age group rules across unions? Each union seems to have its own continuum, each with the same idea of introducing more aspects of the full game as the kids grow and get more experienced in the basics.
But playing cross border rugby is nigh on impossible as the elements are brought in at different times across different unions. Scrums for example, penalising knock ons (or not), team and pitch sizes, you name it.
Surely World Rugby can consult with the unions and come up with a continuum of its own.
Oh, and the latest wheeze is to ban any form of competition in England until under 16, how is this a good idea and if it is, why isn't every union doing it?
whatisthejava

Re: First rant on new board

Post by whatisthejava »

Sorry mate, disagree unions and in fact its up to the individual coaches to decide the rules

This year i am coaching P4 and some team tackle + ruck at p4 level but we dont, we want to get the kids totally comfortable at tackling before they need to worry about rucking

All the coaches we meet this understand it and accept it
Lizard

Post by Lizard »

Rucking? No one's rucked at any level for at least a decade.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Post by onlynameleft »

whatisthejava wrote:Sorry mate, disagree unions and in fact its up to the individual coaches to decide the rules

This year i am coaching P4 and some team tackle + ruck at p4 level but we dont, we want to get the kids totally comfortable at tackling before they need to worry about rucking

All the coaches we meet this understand it and accept it
I think you might have misunderstood me. I understand what you are saying about individual coaches and agreeing the rules to play between the coaches before a match, we do the same, I don't have any difficulty with that.
All unions are ultimately building towards the same game the question is why they cannot between them agree an appropriate continuum to cover the global game, or if not, at least in the home unions so every time we go over to Wales we are at least playing to similar rules (subject to agreement between coaches.)
onlynameleft

Post by onlynameleft »

PS I don't know what P4 is, the English continuum introduces rudimentary/limited scrums, rucks and mauls at U10 whereas tacking comes in at U9.
whatisthejava

Post by whatisthejava »

onlynameleft wrote:PS I don't know what P4 is, the English continuum introduces rudimentary/limited scrums, rucks and mauls at U10 whereas tacking comes in at U9.
P4 is primary 4, which is mostly 8 year old

We tend to keep kids in school age groups, although im more and more convinced of the need to get kids into weight bands

So in scotland
5 - 7 year old touch
8 - tacking with a potential to ruck
9 - rucking
10 scrums
11 scrums and kicking

At 12 the kids start high school and lineouts, kicking, hand offs are introduced
whatisthejava

Post by whatisthejava »

onlynameleft wrote:PS I don't know what P4 is, the English continuum introduces rudimentary/limited scrums, rucks and mauls at U10 whereas tacking comes in at U9.
P4 is primary 4, which is mostly 8 year old

We tend to keep kids in school age groups, although im more and more convinced of the need to get kids into weight bands

So in scotland
5 - 7 year old touch
8 - tacking with a potential to ruck
9 - rucking
10 scrums
11 scrums and kicking

At 12 the kids start high school and lineouts, kicking, hand offs are introduced
onlynameleft

Post by onlynameleft »

Quite a bit younger than ours then. Even at under 9 the tackle includes a hold, i.e. player held for 3 seconds is equivalent to a tackle and he must pass.
Completely agree re weight bands.
Also, in England, they have removed any competitive element up to U11 and they don't even start playing knock out until U14. It's madness.