v AB'S - First Test

Moderators: Puja, Misc Forum Mod

Sandydragon

Re: v AB'S - First Test

Post by Sandydragon »

Stom wrote:First half in, and my thoughts mainly run like this...

You can pick out individually poor performances - Furlong, both locks, SOB and Farrell were all poor, imo - but that's not really fair, as it is the system and structure failing the players.

I don't know how many times we failed to hit a ruck with speed and precision. Absolutely embarrassing. The pick of B&I should be able to do better than that. Decision making was consistently poor, which suggests it was not an individual thing but a team orders/tactical decision.

And now onto the one humongous gulf between the two teams. Support.

When a Kiwi makes a half break, we has minimum 1 passing option at all times, sometimes 3 or 4, even. At every half break. Often he will choose to pass or offload, and thus quickly move the ball and commit defenders. We know this is what they do anyway. But if he does not make the pass, when he hits the deck he will have immediate ruck support, clearing out cleanly and quickly, and allowing the SH - who is in support always - to immediately launch another attack.

When a Lions player made a half break - often Te'o - he would look up and see one risky offload option. So he would make the right decision and take the ball into contact. But then it takes a good second for the ball to be secured, and another second for the SH to be in place to play it, and another second for the "attack" to be in position to receive the ball.

So while NZ can move the point of attack with incredible speed, stretching a pack across the pitch thinner and thinner, the Lions are slow, coming up against a set defence and often losing the ball at the breakdown due to slow support anyway.

So, sorry, but on 40 minutes when we managed to stick to within 5 points of NZ, I am instantly predicting a big 3-0. Not even close. And if Gatland thinks he has a chance of coaching NZ, he has another thing coming.
I don't think the system and structure absolve the players of all responsibility. Kruis being robbed so easily of the ball in contact is an individual error. Williams not collecting a high ball is an individual error. Dropped and poor passes, also individual errors.

We created a fist of try scoring opportunities which isn't a bad effort against the ABs. I still think the ABs are the better team and will win the series, but I think the Lions have done better than I was expecting them too a few weeks ago.

As for the risk averse style of play in the north, Gatland is probably the most risk adverse coach, but we all rely on brute force more than subtlety. Our approach to the game needs to evolve and expecting that to happen over the course of a short tour is unrealistic.
Timbo

Post by Timbo »

Just watching again, is it just me or is the Dagg pass for Codie Taylor's try a mile forward?
Eugene Wrayburn

Post by Eugene Wrayburn »

Timbo wrote:Just watching again, is it just me or is the Dagg pass for Codie Taylor's try a mile forward?
By definition if you are only determining that on re- watching, it's not a mile forward. I don't think it was forward at all.
I refuse to have a battle of wits with an unarmed person.

NS. Gone but not forgotten.
Timbo

Post by Timbo »

Theres an angle of the pass I'd not seen before. Pause this at 5:06/07 and then look at the lines on the pitch.

Just interested in people's thoughts.
ALunpg

Post by ALunpg »

It's one of those did the hands pass the ball backwards at the start ..and that is very difficult to determine from the camera angles but the ball does end up forward of the passing player but in my books it looks a legal pass .
Ex prop Ex coach still a Welshman and enjoying retirement
morepork

Post by morepork »

So good to see this issue come up again. Like a home schooled cousin coming to visit.
Eugene Wrayburn

Timbo wrote:Theres an angle of the pass I'd not seen before. Pause this at 5:06/07 and then look at the lines on the pitch.

Just interested in people's thoughts.
Who gives a monkey's? It's in the book.

Timbo

Post by Timbo »

Fair enough. Should have just added a crappy pun and/or ska punk band reference. Clearly.
Eugene Wrayburn

Timbo wrote:Fair enough. Should have just added a crappy pun and/or ska punk band reference. Clearly.
That would be more productive.

cashead

Post by cashead »

Timbo wrote:Just watching again, is it just me or is the Dagg pass for Codie Taylor's try a mile forward?
Nope. It left his hands laterally.
I'm a god
How can you kill a god?
Shame on you, sweet Nerevar
paddy no 11

Post by paddy no 11 »

He rotates his body alright but he chucks it forward otherwise it would have hit taylors bread basket. Not that it matters, bringing on cruden saved the lions 80 mins of barrett at 10 will be annihilation for the lions this week unless they actually have finally clued into this notion of finishing their chances
Lord Llandaff

Post by Lord Llandaff »

Lord Llandaff wrote:Sexton to start with Faz and Foxy outside. Back 3 to remain. I'm not sure what benefit Halfpenny brings to the bench, given that Daly and Watson can both play FB if required.
Just remember you heard it here first
Mellsblue

Post by Mellsblue »

Lord Llandaff wrote:
Lord Llandaff wrote:Sexton to start with Faz and Foxy outside. Back 3 to remain. I'm not sure what benefit Halfpenny brings to the bench, given that Daly and Watson can both play FB if required.
Just remember you heard it here first
Then why didn't you do something to stop it?