United Rugby Championship

Moderator: Sandydragon

Son of Mathonwy

Re: United Rugby Championship

Post by Son of Mathonwy »

Horrendous game by the Ospreys other than Webb's brilliant individual try. Outclassed otherwise.

Scarlets were in a contest at least. Not sure how the TMO and ref missed the stranglehold while they ruled out that try knocked-on over the line - another penalty try missed. Unbelievable error from Dan Jones, cross-field kick to our winger who had no space, lost out on the 50-50 contest in the air and got Connacht off the mark. Johnny Williams is back, at least (assuming he's not injured again).
Son of Mathonwy

Oh yeah, both matches had local refs. Just not good enough.
Sandydragon

Post by Sandydragon »

Son of Mathonwy wrote:Horrendous game by the Ospreys other than Webb's brilliant individual try. Outclassed otherwise.

Scarlets were in a contest at least. Not sure how the TMO and ref missed the stranglehold while they ruled out that try knocked-on over the line - another penalty try missed. Unbelievable error from Dan Jones, cross-field kick to our winger who had no space, lost out on the 50-50 contest in the air and got Connacht off the mark. Johnny Williams is back, at least (assuming he's not injured again).
That Ospreys game was just awful. Scarlets a decent competition at least but you just couldn’t see them winning. Refereeing aside, we just don’t have the quality there.
Wallpaperman

Post by Wallpaperman »

Good point re the high tackle on Marc Jones, it was pretty blatant. Bit bizarre that the TMO didn’t see it.
Sandydragon

Post by Sandydragon »

Wallpaperman wrote:Good point re the high tackle on Marc Jones, it was pretty blatant. Bit bizarre that the TMO didn’t see it.
Not for the URC.
Son of Mathonwy

Sandydragon wrote:
Wallpaperman wrote:Good point re the high tackle on Marc Jones, it was pretty blatant. Bit bizarre that the TMO didn’t see it.
Not for the URC.
It would genuinely be good to know how the TMO and ref could miss that green arm around the Scarlet's neck. Did they not see it? Or did they disregard it, since the grounding was the purpose of the review? Was it just too much trouble?
paddy no 11

Post by paddy no 11 »

Harsh on LRZ played I Jared against Ireland and can learn from that missed tackle, hopefully its a confidence reboot at club and he comes back in quickly
Sandydragon

Post by Sandydragon »

paddy no 11 wrote:Harsh on LRZ played I Jared against Ireland and can learn from that missed tackle, hopefully its a confidence reboot at club and he comes back in quickly
I think the issue is that he hasn’t looked as sharp as he has previously. His pace has looked a bit off (surely the result of the ankle injury) and when you take that away he looks far less dangerous. I think it’s the right call. Better that than playing and being targeted and getting the kicking that will come in the media as a result.
newgalesurf

Post by newgalesurf »

Decent outing from the Dragons in horrendous conditions. At least they looked up for it against Ulster.

Who knows if it would have been close if the conditions were better.
Sandydragon

Post by Sandydragon »

newgalesurf wrote:Decent outing from the Dragons in horrendous conditions. At least they looked up for it against Ulster.

They need to break this losing habit though. They are an improved side compared to a few years ago but just can’t quite get out of the habit of losing.
normanski

Post by normanski »

Sandydragon wrote:
newgalesurf wrote:Decent outing from the Dragons in horrendous conditions. At least they looked up for it against Ulster.

They need to break this losing habit though. They are an improved side compared to a few years ago but just can’t quite get out of the habit of losing.
It’s quite often the last twenty minutes when they seem to fall apart and lose the games.

It would be great to see the Dragons regain some of the pomp that Newport had in my youth sixty years ago.
Sandydragon

Post by Sandydragon »

normanski wrote:
Sandydragon wrote:

It’s quite often the last twenty minutes when they seem to fall apart and lose the games.

It would be great to see the Dragons regain some of the pomp that Newport had in my youth sixty years ago.
I think we’re still struggling with a bit of depth. It didn’t take much for the team to look very ordinary. But we do have some quality players as well and we look more cohesive. I do think that if we can grind out a couple of results we will win more games on n the future, some of our team is very young and it’s almost become a tradition.
Wallpaperman

Post by Wallpaperman »

I keep expecting the Dragons to come good. It looks as though they have made some smart signings for next season, too, with Rhodri Jones, Bradley Roberts and JJ Hanrahan on board and rumours of Sean Lonsdale and possibly Max Clark also joining.

Dan Baker looked pretty good in the horrible conditions on Sunday, he could be a real asset if he can stay fit.

On a separate note, sad to see that Cardiff have parted ways with Sam Moore. It’s probably not surprising given the amount of international back row players they will have next season. He’s got a shocking injury record but is still a young man, and I hope that he can kick on at the Ospreys. Really pleased that they have signed him.
Sandydragon

Post by Sandydragon »

Moore has probably made the right decision he will get more opportunities at the Ospreys. He needs some good luck.

I was very happy with Baker, just hoping he stays fit.
Wallpaperman

Post by Wallpaperman »

Sandydragon wrote:Moore has probably made the right decision he will get more opportunities at the Ospreys. He needs some good luck.

Looks like the WOL were right. Lonsdale and Clark have both signed for the Dragons. Tidy players both imho.
Sandydragon

Post by Sandydragon »

Wallpaperman wrote:
Sandydragon wrote:Moore has probably made the right decision he will get more opportunities at the Ospreys. He needs some good luck.

Looks like the WOL were right. Lonsdale and Clark have both signed for the Dragons. Tidy players both imho.
Good news. Losing a few big names but hopefully we can keep the standard of our first XV up and build a little depth.
newgalesurf

Post by newgalesurf »

Some really great Dragons signings.

Always get a slice of optimism at this time of year, only to be brought crashing down to earth early next season (normal roller coaster ride of any Welsh region)
Sandydragon

Post by Sandydragon »

newgalesurf wrote:Some really great Dragons signings.

Always get a slice of optimism at this time of year, only to be brought crashing down to earth early next season (normal roller coaster ride of any Welsh region)
It could almost be funny how the wheel keeps on spinning…
Son of Mathonwy

Cardiff 0-22 Ulster at half time. Cardiff are making chances but are throwing them all away. Can I be bothered to continue watching?
Sandydragon

Post by Sandydragon »

Didn’t get any better in the second half. Worryingly that was a Cardiff team with some decent players in it.
Son of Mathonwy

Yeah, worse if anything, despite the tries. Outclassed.

Halaholo did not have a good game. Navidi, I didn't notice much, but he survived - a positive.
Wallpaperman

Post by Wallpaperman »

I hardly ever switch off a rugby game, especially when a Welsh side is involved. I did switch off last night when it went 41-5. You guys have said it above, how does a side with so many internationals get beaten like that ? Dai Young is never going to reinvent the wheel as a coach but I would always expect one of his sides to keep at it, very disappointing.

Credit to Ulster by the way who are a very good side, and who don’t lose many squad members to international call ups.
Wallpaperman

Post by Wallpaperman »

newgalesurf wrote:Some really great Dragons signings.

I think I wrote a post before the start of the season about how strong the Scarlets squad was. Am a bit embarrassed by it now. I had an inkling I had got it wrong when they shipped 40 points at home to Munster’s second string early in the season.
Wallpaperman

Post by Wallpaperman »

Anything Cardiff can do, the Dragons can do better
Sandydragon

Post by Sandydragon »

Wallpaperman wrote:Anything Cardiff can do, the Dragons can do better
It’s a definite race to the bottom. The Fail is now calling for a change in leadership at Rodney Parade, and something doesn’t seem to be right. Has the dressing room been lost?