Scots Abroad VIII (or let's spot the new messiah)

Moderator: OptimisticJock

Big D

Re: Scots Abroad VIII (or let's spot the new messiah)

Post by Big D »

Adder wrote: Thu Oct 06, 2022 10:03 pm Sounds like Rory Sutherland is moving to Ulster
Good move for him if true.
Croft_No.5

Post by Croft_No.5 »

Short-term until the end of the season it seems. Maybe back to Scotland after that?
Mikey Brown

Post by Mikey Brown »

Jesus, Bradbury is still so frustrating to watch.
francoisfou

Post by francoisfou »

According to MIdi Olympique, Finn Russell had a « stratospheric » match in Racing’s win against current champions Montpellier, including 7/8 successive kicks at goal. Wonder if GT may regret omitting Russell from the AI squad?
Big D

Post by Big D »

francoisfou wrote: Sat Oct 22, 2022 7:45 pm According to MIdi Olympique, Finn Russell had a « stratospheric » match in Racing’s win against current champions Montpellier, including 7/8 successive kicks at goal. Wonder if GT may regret omitting Russell from the AI squad?
Imagine if he was in form...
Mikey Brown

Post by Mikey Brown »

Redpath seems to be hitting his stride again. Good all round performance from him yesterday.

Not sure what to make of the Russell situation.
Adder

Post by Adder »

Bayliss looked quite sharp on the highlight reel as well.
Mikey Brown

Post by Mikey Brown »

I just don't know where Bayliss fits in. It would be nice to have some genuine pace in the pack, he's a good all rounder and line-out option, I just can't see him offering what we need at either 6 or 8.
Mikey Brown

Post by Mikey Brown »

I know this doesn’t really fit here, but Dave Rennie sacked for Aus, in order to bring in Eddie Jones, feels harsh? Not quite sure what impression he left on Scottish fans.
Cameo

Post by Cameo »

Mikey Brown wrote: Mon Jan 16, 2023 7:35 am I know this doesn’t really fit here, but Dave Rennie sacked for Aus, in order to bring in Eddie Jones, feels harsh? Not quite sure what impression he left on Scottish fans.
Yeah, he's not done great there results wise but I thought they would give him through to the end of the World Cup. I think they saw Eddie and thought as a short term option he might we'll get results. Polar opposites culture wise though - Rennie actually seems to care about people.

Can't decide on Rennie as a coach. Seems like a very nice guy and sounds impressive but his teams do some odd things. Wouldn't write him off from coming back and doing well internationally elsewhere.
switchskier

Post by switchskier »

Fin Smith in the England squad. Was always a long shot but would have loved to have had him as Finn's heir.
francoisfou

Post by francoisfou »

Leicester Tigers’ Cameron Henderson has been included in the 6N squad.
Puja

Post by Puja »

Plus you've acquired Ruaridh McConnochie from us after his 2 caps in 2019. I wish you well of him - would say he's been injured too much to being a lot of value, but he's a decent enough player when he's fit.

Puja
Backist Monk
SDHoneymonster

Post by SDHoneymonster »

Cameo wrote: Mon Jan 16, 2023 7:57 pm
Mikey Brown wrote: Mon Jan 16, 2023 7:35 am I know this doesn’t really fit here, but Dave Rennie sacked for Aus, in order to bring in Eddie Jones, feels harsh? Not quite sure what impression he left on Scottish fans.
Yeah, he's not done great there results wise but I thought they would give him through to the end of the World Cup. I think they saw Eddie and thought as a short term option he might we'll get results. Polar opposites culture wise though - Rennie actually seems to care about people.

Can't decide on Rennie as a coach. Seems like a very nice guy and sounds impressive but his teams do some odd things. Wouldn't write him off from coming back and doing well internationally elsewhere.
Genuinely not sure you can judge a coach on what they achieve with Australia at the moment - some absurdly talented players but also a lot of incredibly thick ones and for Rennie in particular an injury list that would cripple even a country with depth of talent like NZ or the Boks, let alone the Wallabies.
SDHoneymonster

Post by SDHoneymonster »

switchskier wrote: Tue Jan 17, 2023 7:23 am Fin Smith in the England squad. Was always a long shot but would have loved to have had him as Finn's heir.
Worth pointing out of course England actually need to cap him for this to be the end - both Gary Graham and Cameron Redpath also made several England squads but were never capped and ended up pulling on blue shirts rather than white.
Scottish Caley Fan

Post by Scottish Caley Fan »

SDHoneymonster wrote: Wed Jan 18, 2023 9:45 am
switchskier wrote: Tue Jan 17, 2023 7:23 am Fin Smith in the England squad. Was always a long shot but would have loved to have had him as Finn's heir.
Worth pointing out of course England actually need to cap him for this to be the end - both Gary Graham and Cameron Redpath also made several England squads but were never capped and ended up pulling on blue shirts rather than white.
You could add Fraser Dingwall and Tom Roebuck to your list very soon though I'm sure Borthwick will pick on form rather than just to poach a player from us, unlike Eddie.
Which Tyler

Post by Which Tyler »

Scottish Caley Fan wrote: Wed Jan 18, 2023 10:28 amYou could add Fraser Dingwall and Tom Roebuck to your list very soon though I'm sure Borthwick will pick on form rather than just to poach a player from us, unlike Eddie.
Who was that?
Scrumhead

Post by Scrumhead »

Scottish Caley Fan wrote: Wed Jan 18, 2023 10:28 am
You could add Fraser Dingwall and Tom Roebuck to your list very soon though I'm sure Borthwick will pick on form rather than just to poach a player from us, unlike Eddie.
There’s plenty to criticise Eddie Jones for, but he never actually capped players to prevent them being picked by other countries.

He could easily have capped Redpath, Graham, Roebuck, Vellacott, Odogwu (for Italy) and plenty of others along the way. A minute or two at the end of a game is all it would have taken, but hay didn’t happen.

Rodd is the only real example I can think of, but even if he is considered a poach (highly debatable IMO), he wasn’t capped purely to stop him being picked by Scotland and is still being included in squads now.
Cameo

Post by Cameo »

Yeah, I also don't think we do it. It's quite a big deal putting a player even on the bench if they are not deserving and if you gained a reputation among players for doing it when you don't actually think they are good enough you are going to make it more likely players turn down call ups. Players don't want to be played.
septic 9

Post by septic 9 »

Scrumhead wrote: Sat Jan 21, 2023 5:54 pm
Scottish Caley Fan wrote: Wed Jan 18, 2023 10:28 am

There’s plenty to criticise Eddie Jones for, but he never actually capped players to prevent them being picked by other countries.

He could easily have capped Redpath, Graham, Roebuck, Vellacott, Odogwu (for Italy) and plenty of others along the way. A minute or two at the end of a game is all it would have taken, but hay didn’t happen.

Rodd is the only real example I can think of, but even if he is considered a poach (highly debatable IMO), he wasn’t capped purely to stop him being picked by Scotland and is still being included in squads now.
I don't think he capped players just to stop Scotland or anyone else capping them

I am much less sure that he didn't "play" a few of them

For example, I don't think he ever had any intention of capping Vellacott, or Redpath or Graham. I do wonder if he hung out the carrot to prevent them declaring for Scotland (Vellacott didn't while in the Gloucs academy as it could have cost him his job, that is on record). But capping them once for a couple of minutes would have triggered pay rises which their clubs wouldn't have thanked him for
Oh and Graham was never good enough, was never sure why we capped him eventually

You're welcome to Rodd
Mikey Brown

Post by Mikey Brown »

Cameo

Post by Cameo »

Was going to say that Finn's running game is looking sharp. Not seen as much of it for Scotland (until the Argentina game) generally, but adds an extra element.
Mikey Brown

Post by Mikey Brown »

Chib calls it a day due to repeated concussions. Good decision and not a surprise at all. Shame we didn’t see more of him but the timing never really seemed right.
Cameo

Post by Cameo »

Yeah, strange international career. Clips showed a free running 8, but we'll never know whether he was prevented from showing this at international level by injuries or whether it was just never going to happen.

Good luck to him and I hope his concussions don't hamper him later on in life.
Jocky

Post by Jocky »

Finn starts for Racing tonight - praying he comes through unscathed.