England
No votes
Other
No votes

Total votes: 5

rowan

Re: 2018 World Cup poll

Post by rowan »

Brazil - Swiss underway, and the 5-time champions are looking very poised and confident as they dominate the opening stages, almost scoring around the 10 minute mark. They've got to put 2014 behind them mentally and a solid win here would do it.

What a goal from Brazil! Strike from the edge of the box just floats into the top right corner. That's the best goal I've seen since the Iberian derby!

Swiss have dominated the 2nd 1/4 without really threatening. Danger here that Brazil is losing concentration, sitting on that 1-0 lead. Their keeper actually just dribbled around a Swiss player in his own box! Brazil need to focus on putting this away with another goal or two.

HT 1-0. Late chance for Brazil. Clearly a class above the Swiss but that doesn't always settle it in football.

Swiss score from a corner early in the second half. This was the danger for Brazil. They went off the boil and paid the price. 1-1.

Brazil back on the boil and looking ominous...

Finally a yellow for the incessant late challenges and niggles on Neymar. But the freekick is lame. He's no Ronaldo!
& another yellow. The Swiss tactic is definitely to disrupt the flow of the game. Though it sure doesn't take much for Neymar to go down!

Brazil had a clear case for a penalty there. Ref didn't even go to the video replay.

A draw against inferior opposition will not do much to exorcise the demons of 2014. Brazil have 10 minutes to find a moral-boosting winner.

Brazil set it up right in front and can't get the shot in! Then Neymar heads straight to the keeper. Are they only capable of wonder goals? Looks headed for a draw . . .

So many chances for Brazil late in this game, and they've squandered them all. 1-1 it ends.
If they're good enough to play at World Cups, why not in between?
rowan

Post by rowan »

Sensational start as Colombia give away a penalty - and a red card!! That's the first red I recall seeing at this tournament after some surprising lenience. Can't help but wonder if any other team would have got a red there but Colombia... Japan with an early 1-0 lead.

Colombia having more chances despite that, but the right winger is really letting them down, failing to get a decent cross in with men in the box on more than one occasion.

Poor effort by the Japanese striker with only the keeper to beat. The moment just seemed too big for him. & then Colombia go close at the other end. Half an hour gone. If I were to guess the result at this stage I'd say a draw, with Colombia scoring in the second half and settling for that with a man off the pitch. However, if Japan do score again, the South Americans might just fall apart completely.

My first guess seems closer as Colombia in fact score in the 38th minute - and they deserve it. No question they are the better team. Question is will they play for a draw in the second half or go for the win. Hopefully the latter, because they're certainly capable.

All Japan in the second half with numerous shots not finding the target. They're playing with a lot more confidence and composure than they did in the first half. Colombia are hardly in the game and may well be content to just settle for the draw. 20 mins left.

Japan finally score with a header from a corner in the 72nd minute. It had to come. 2-1

Colombia miss a big chance. 10 to go plus injury time. If it stays like this, every confederation will have had a first round win except Africa. Senegal may be able to fix that against Poland next up. Oh, wait, Asia already had a winner - Iran!

2-1 Japan. But nothing here to trouble the big guns...

Meanwhile, stat of the day:
Of 2.4 million tickets sold to the games, 64% were bought by foreigners, 36% bought by Russians.
Top 10 foreign countries whose citizens bought tickets:
1 US 89,000 fans (the US team is not involved)
2 Brazil 73,000 fans
3 Columbia 65,000 fans
4 Germany 63000 fans
5 Mexico 60,000 fans
6 Argentina 54000 fans
7 Peru 44,000 fans
8 China 40000 fans (the Chinese team is not involved)
9 Australia 36,000 fans
10 England 32,000 fans
Where are the French and Iberians? :roll:
rowan

Post by rowan »

Woo hoo! Didn't see it, but very happy Africa finally gets a result at the World Cup. Senegal is a great team. They've won precisely half their matches at the World Cup, which is amazing when you look at the others from the continent. First round complete, every confederation has at least one win so far.
rowan

Post by rowan »

Egypt on their way out of this tournament. 3-1 to Russia in the 74th minute. Russia will virtually ensure their place in the second round with this win, providing they hold on. Egypt looking dangerous right now.

Salah is certainly a danger. Still think it was a huge mistake to leave him out against Uruguay. It may be the Champions League final has cost Egypt dearly at this, their first World Cup in 28 years. Time almost up now.

FT 3-1. Russia should top the group with a draw against Uruguay. Egypt out before most teams have even played their 2nd game...
rowan

Post by rowan »

HT Portugal 1 Morocco 0. Missed the early goal but saw most of the first half between Morocco and Portugal and the African champions are certainly holding their own. Chances at both ends, including a freekick to Portugal, which Ronaldo hammered straight into the wall. He certainly hasn't shown too much of his brilliance in this game so far. Anything could happen in the second half, though I'm anticipating a 2-0 win at this stage.

Morocco just went close, really taking it to the Portuguese and looking a lot more threatening than their fellow North Africans did yesterday. Might yet be an equalizer in this...

Morocco certainly created plenty of chances but just lacked a cool head on attack, shooting when they could've passed and vice versa. So they're officially out now with two straight losses and not a solitary goal (though they've only conceded 2). Disappointing for such a good team.
Last edited by rowan on Wed Jun 20, 2018 2:58 pm, edited 2 times in total.
WaspInWales

Post by WaspInWales »

Gutted for Morocco.

Thought they outplayed Portugal. Played with plenty of heart, desire and they played some decent football, but just lacked that finishing touch or pinpoint cross at times.
WaspInWales

Post by WaspInWales »

Portugal and Spain played out a fantastic game in the first match. High on skill and entertainment, but Portugal just played anti-football today. Reminded me of their Euro campaign.

They could win the world cup playing shit football like that!
rowan

Post by rowan »

WaspInWales wrote:Gutted for Morocco.

Thought they outplayed Portugal. Played with plenty of heart, desire and they played some decent football, but just lacked that finishing touch or pinpoint cross at times.
Agree with the assessment but by no means gutted. They couldn't take their chances and made bad decisions in front of goal. Saudi now doing exactly the same against Uruguay. In fact, the impotence of non-European/South American teams on attack - with a couple of notable exceptions - is starting to get very tedious. I'm already waiting for the knock-out rounds and some decent quality of finishing by both teams on the paddock; a rarity to this point.

HT Uruguay 1 Saudis 0. Won't be sorry to see the lackluster Arabians dumped out of this tournament either. I think Uruguay will be good for a 2 or 3 goal win.

Frustrating times :lol: I suppose it's normal but I don't usually watch so much of the early stages. It's just that I have my new flatscreen TV and am getting awful lazy in my old age :twisted: Last time I only caught the business end of the tournament, and that was mainly due to the fact I was in Zanzibar at the time and the only late-night bar near my hotel was full of people watching the World Cup on a big screen. So, as the old saying goes, When in Zanzibar . . .

Last 10 minutes. No addition to the score surprisingly. Carbon copy of the last game. Lots of shots but just a solitary goal - and I missed both!!
rowan

Post by rowan »

Spain v Iran up next. Interesting a win for Spain will not put Iran out of the tournament, after their first up injury time-win against Morocco. It would, however, mean that Iran would have to defeat Portugal in the final round of the group phase. So basically Iran have two chances, but they'll need to upset one of the two European powerhouses in order to progress.

No early goal in this game; at least, not in the first quarter. Iran are a deceptively good side but they're also a little bit in the Icelandic mold, unspectacular and defensive. I think the Spanish goals will come eventually. But, then, I also expected Portugal and Uruguay to put away more goals in the earlier games. No second half goals today - so far . . . (& I've watched about two hours of football without seeing any) :roll:

Great save early in the second half as Spain applies more pressure. Iran is defending well but how long can they keep it up? The game is being played entirely in their half... & just after I write that Iran gets down the end and just misses with a rocket from nowhere!! & just after I write that Spain gets one at the other end. Well, they certainly deserved it, and I'm glad I've finally got to see a goal today :P

Iran thought they'd scored, were already running around celebrating, and it got cancelled out on an off-side call. What a shame. So many calls going against the non-European teams at this tournament - as if they didn't have it stacked against them already.

15 minutes left and we look headed for another boringly predictable 1-0 win here. Chances at both ends, though the Spanish are getting the lions share, and if there's going to be a late addition to the scoring it'll almost certainly go their way.

FT 1-0. All a bit crap today. I thought we might see one draw, at least, and Iran certainly got close at one point. I watched about 3 hours of football in total today and saw just one goal! But the better teams won, and no complaints about that. Iran are still in it, tho they need to beat Portugal now. A draw won't be enough. Highly unlikely, but not impossible.
rowan

Post by rowan »

Denmark with the early goal. Looking much stronger in the opening 10 minutes. Australia need at least a draw here or they'll be following Egypt, Morocco & Saudi out of the tournament. So far they're looking a little outclassed, however.

Aussies have upped the tempo, but it's the same old story: non-European teams lack the finishing. In particular what they seem to lack is the first touch in front of goal. There's always an attempt to control the ball first before striking, dribble another meter or pass to a team-mate. & on the rare occasions they do actually try to bang one home the accuracy is seldom there.

& no sooner write that than Australia gets a penalty after the ref checked the video replay and found a very accidental handball that I completely missed in real time. :o 1-1

HT: Aussies took a while to wake up but were stung into action by that early goal and have been looking pretty good since. See what happens after the break, but this could go either way - or they (both teams) might just settle for a draw if nothing happens in the 3rd quarter.

Aussies continue to take it to the Danes and have probably had more opportunities in the 3rd 1/4. Obviously they're a little more desperate, as defeat would dump them out of the tournament. Denmark would probably have to beat France if it loses here, but at least they'd have a lifeline. A draw, on the other hand, is no disaster for either. Australia would have to beat Peru, however; while Denmark would probably want at least a draw against France.

Just 5 minutes remaining. Australia have been the better team over all, but Denmark's goal was a far superior effort and somehow they always seemed more likely to find a winner, despite plenty of chances at both ends. Seems headed for a draw tho. Just hope the Aussies don't do a Tunisia - because that really would be a shame. They're not playing silly football like the North Africans did in the closing stages, so I think they'll hang on.

Indeed. 1-1 it ends. I got something right for a change! Not a great result for the Aussies, but one that keeps their hopes alive. Decisive victory over Peru now required, and even that might not be enough if France beats Peru and fails to defeat Denmark.
rowan

Post by rowan »

It's becoming an awful tournament for the non-Europeans, with just a few exceptions. Peru now follow Egypt, Saudi & Morocco out, which is a real disappointment for a team that has waited 36 years to return to the World Cup. It also means Australia needs not only to beat Peru, but also hope that France will defeat Denmark, and I'm pretty sure that'll end in a diplomatic draw.

Meanwhile, Argentina and Messi looking as awful as they did in the first game. It's another 1-0 scoreline, Croatia leading, and with 15 minutes left it's starting to look like that won't change. This means Argentina may not progress beyond the group stages for the first time since ?? They'll probably need to thump Nigeria in the final game and hope Croatia puts away Iceland.

Croatia clinch it 2-0. Great strike. Argentina really don't look interested. I think they're just looking forward to getting back to their clubs. They're not playing with any passion. & they've just been taught a lesson on how to shoot with a purpose.

Argentina no tiene la pasion :(

3-0 Croatia are just toying with them now!
Last edited by rowan on Thu Jun 21, 2018 8:48 pm, edited 1 time in total.
cashead

Post by cashead »

Argentina have a shit coach who clearly has no idea how he wants his team to play, and has consistently experimented with formations right until the last minute. He constantly tinkered and mucked about with the line-ups and formations, so it's clear the players only have a hazy idea of what the plan is, with no time for combinations to gel. They have excellent players, but fuck me, their coaches at the last few tournaments have been the drizzling shits.

And after their bullshit gamesmanship against the All Whites, it's very hard to muster up any sympathy for the crying Peruvian fans. Eat a shit.
I'm a god
How can you kill a god?
Shame on you, sweet Nerevar
rowan

Post by rowan »

cashead wrote:Argentina have a shit coach who clearly has no idea how he wants his team to play, and has consistently experimented with formations right until the last minute. He constantly tinkered and mucked about with the line-ups and formations, so it's clear the players only have a hazy idea of what the plan is, with no time for combinations to gel. They have excellent players, but fuck me, their coaches at the last few tournaments have been the drizzling shits.

And after their bullshit gamesmanship against the All Whites, it's very hard to muster up any sympathy for the crying Peruvian fans. Eat a shit.
Agree re Argentina. & I think the players themselves would agree with that too. They are clearly not interested in this tournament. I wouldn't be surprised if Nigeria beats them. & I think we might have to go back to the 60s to find the last time Argentina failed to get out of their group. South America sucks big time. It's left to little ol' Uruguay (pop. 3 million) to carry the flag for them.
rowan

Post by rowan »

Well, for the sake of the non-Europeans I'm hoping Nigeria can beat Iceland. Then it'll come down to them against Argentina for a spot in the second round, with a draw being enough to see the Africans through. If they draw with Iceland, on the other hand, they'll need to beat Argentina and hope Croatia puts away Iceland. I've got a feeling that, if nothing else, this result may serve the Super Eagles very well.
rowan

Post by rowan »

& I think we might have to go back to the 60s to find the last time Argentina failed to get out of their group.

How could I have forgotten 2002? Especially as i watched all their games live - in Vitoria, Spain! They had Nigeria in their group that year as well, beating them 1-0 for their only win.

Prior to that we do have to go right back to 1962, although they failed to qualify for the 1970 tournament altogether.
WaspInWales

Post by WaspInWales »

rowan wrote:
cashead wrote:Agree re Argentina. & I think the players themselves would agree with that too. They are clearly not interested in this tournament. I wouldn't be surprised if Nigeria beats them. & I think we might have to go back to the 60s to find the last time Argentina failed to get out of their group. South America sucks big time. It's left to little ol' Uruguay (pop. 3 million) to carry the flag for them.
Amazed at Mascherano stopping when the 3rd goal was scored. The game was over by then but you can't just stop with your arm up and hope the linesman flags for offside. Especially with VAR in operation.
rowan

Post by rowan »

Yes, that goal was bizarre and should never have been scored. But the game was all over and I think Argentina were so disgusted in themselves they were quite happy to have the result become a complete embarrassment. I think most of their supporters would have felt the same way, watching their increasingly dispirited performance. Messi played the final quarter with his head down and showed none of the tigerish determination to get through the defense that he does for Barca week in, week out. Like Australia, they are now in the position of having to rely on results elsewhere to help them through. If Iceland beats either Nigeria or Croatia, it's all over for Argentina, regardless the result of their own clash with Nigeria.
rowan

Post by rowan »

Brazil have made a fairly tentative start against Costa Rica, in contrast to their form against the Swiss. Could that be a good thing, given they failed to put the Swiss away? Probably not, but you just never know with Brazil. Just hope they're not going through a confidence crisis like their fellow South Americans did yesterday. Neymar's done nothing so far but fall down grimacing.

& there you go, Brazil attack comes out of nowhere, but the goal is disallowed for off-side. & seconds later Brazil stuff it up again - & again. Still, they've suddenly come to life midway through the first half and the goals have got to come eventually, you'd think . . .

No score with HT approaching. Schoolboy errors from the Brazilians as they take their eye off the ball at the wrong moment, fall over when the cross is coming their way and give away interceptions with increasingly labored passing. Neymar has been pathetic so far. Brazil may scrape through this but are sure to get beaten by the first genuine quality opponent they encounter.

2nd half starts in a similar vein. Brazil now giving an exhibition of how not to score; Neymar just falling over and grimacing. I don't think I've ever seen a bigger ponce than Neymar, and that's really saying some when we're talking football! :shock:

Neymar misses from point blank range as Brazil remain totally dominant but unable to score a goal. & another shot (from a different player) goes straight into the arms of the keeper a couple of minutes later. Very frustrating to watch.

Neymar misses from point blank range as Brazil remain totally dominant but unable to score... Wait, that sounds familiar :roll:

Penalty for Brazil overruled after the ref watches the video replay. Looked like Neymar was given a light shove inside the box and made the most of it. Regardless. if this Brazilian attack is so utterly toothless it can't capitalize on such a plethora of golden opportunities, they don't deserve to win. They're have to beat Serbia in their final game and I wouldn't back them in this performance.

Well, well, well, a fairly opportunist goal to Brazil right at the end of regulation time! On second thoughts, it was well set up, looking at the replay. I just wasn't paying close attention in real time. 1-0 but 6 mins of stoppage time added.

& Neymar finally gets it right 5 mins into stoppage time :lol: FT 2-0. Shame to see Costa Rica exit the tournament. They've been very impressive at past World Cups but got nowhere this time.
rowan

Post by rowan »

Approaching halftime, Iceland have had a few more chances but Nigeria starting out with the same poise and composure as they did against Croatia. They have a natural confidence which is all too rare among the non-European teams, perhaps due to the fact they represent their continent's biggest nation in terms of population (186 million). But we saw against Croatia that they failed to react with any real urgency once they went behind. They'll need to show some in the second half if they want to avoid a final round scenario in which they are required to thump Argentina. A loss and they (and Argentina) are out. Iceland need only win here to go through, whereas a draw would require them to overcome Croatia. Meanwhile, the dearth of goals in this tournament (notwithstanding the late shows) has been a real drag.

Now that's what I've been waiting to see :P Absolutely superb goal from the Nigerians, great cross, striker controls it and shoots all in one movement! One of the goals of the tournament so far. 1-0 to the Super Eagles.

An Icelandic player is getting stretchered off, and meanwhile the captains on the sidelines looking at photographs of how Nigeria scored the goal. Sorry to be callous, but doesn't that seem a tad suspicious?

Nigeria getting the lion's share of chances in the second half but can't find a second. Will some of these misses come back to haunt them? Indeed, everything but. One just hit the crossbar after leaving the keeper for dead. But straight back down and they score! 2-0. The guy actually dribbled around the keeper then time stood still for a second as he paused before shooting with two defenders in his road. Luckily Saurez wasn't one of them!

Penalty after ref checks video replay. No need for it either. Nigerian defender gave a lazy pass to a team-mate in the box, it got intercepted, and the other defender clipped the Iceland player. MISSES!! Sailed over the crossbar. It's not Iceland's day. They look tired, perhaps due to the heat. I imagine it's pretty warm in Volgograd right now.

So that may have been Iceland's last chance, although if Argentina beats Nigeria, they could still go through with a win over Croatia.

Notwithstanding the silly penalty, which wasn't converted anyway, I've been impressed by Nigeria's defence. Ok, it's Iceland, and they let in 2 against Croatia, but they've done a good job here.

2-0. Well done, Super Eagles. A draw against misfiring Argentina should see them through, but they'll need a win to be sure. Iceland, as mentioned, now need to beat Croatia and hope Argentina defeats Nigeria.

It's also good news for Argentina, who now have destiny 90% back in their own hands. A big win over Nigeria will still see them through provided Iceland don't actually beat Croatia - unlikely given today's result.
rowan

Post by rowan »

Serbia with the early goal against the Swiss. They are a very good team and their clash with Brazil will be a cracker. They could go a long way in this tournament.

HT 1-0. Serbians with the lion's share of the shots but it's been a case of the sublime and the ridiculous, with a few very close calls and a lot of lame efforts. Still, they look the better team and a second goal should come if they keep this up.

How about that! Swiss get one back early in the second. Game of 2 halves ??

Midway 2nd half and the Swiss miss a sitter. Offside anyway. Aside from that, not a lot going on. Are they settling for the draw? That would leave the Serbians requiring a draw against the Brazilians, also, to be sure of going through, and the Swiss needing to beat Costa Rica. Both doable on form. So maybe they are happy to draw. :roll:

Late winner for the Swiss!! 2-1. Serbia will now have to beat Brazil. :o Wow, I wouldn't have picked this in the first half. Serbia have paid the price for some poor finishing earlier when they were a goal up. I don't have a vested interest in the result here, but I think it makes things a little easier for Brazil to go through now.

Just noticed it was pouring down with rain. Did that effect the Serbs in the second half? Strange game.
rowan

Post by rowan »

Belgium looks to be as good a pick as any right now, hammering Tunisia 4-1 with about half an hour to play. Certainly puts England's scrappy last-minute win against the same opposition into perspective. :shock: :oops:

FT 5-2. So that's the end of the North Africans. 6 games for 6 losses! How far will Belgium go? Let's see them play England before we get too carried away...
Last edited by rowan on Sat Jun 23, 2018 2:56 pm, edited 3 times in total.
WaspInWales

Post by WaspInWales »

Belgium playing very well and have taken their chances.

One of the form teams so far.
rowan

Post by rowan »

Mexico open the scoring with a penalty against SKorea midway first half...
Mexico get a second midway second half. 2-0.
rowan

Post by rowan »

Sweden have had plenty of chances and finally capitalize on the half hour mark to make it 1-0. If it stays like this, Germany are going home. In fact, Germany need to win here if they are to have destiny in their own hands going into the final game. A draw here won't be enough for Germany unless Mexico beat Sweden (and, of course, Germany beat SKorea decisively). Right now Germany doesn't look too threatening...

HT 1-0 Sweden. & could so easily have been 2-0 with the Swedes missing a number of golden opportunities. Knock-out rounds without either of the 2014 finalists looking like a realistic prospect right now :o although somehow I just don't see it happening.

Doesn't take the Germans long to equalize in the 2nd half. Sweden may come to rue all those missed chances now. 1-1. & it's a German blitzkrieg . . .

Germans on the rampage. Still 1-1 but time to starting thinking about the permutations if Sweden lose. They'll need to beat Mexico, and then it'll come down to goals for and against. In fact, Mexico's place will be far from secure because one would expect Germany to be good for at least a 2-goal win over the Koreans.

But with just 10 minutes to go it's a red card for Germany!! They'll need to find a winner with 10 men on the field...
& with 5 to go they very nearly did. Great save by the Swedish keeper - who has had a stand-out game, btw.

5 mins of injury time. Germany hit the post as the Swedish defense just stood around watching! But I think there was an offside call anyway. When was the last time Germany failed to get out of the group stages?

Germany score with a freekick on literally the last play of the game. 2-1.
rowan

Post by rowan »

Got a big fright there when the regular channel put on the Spain v Morocco game. Of course, that score there could effect whether Spain finish first or second - but that's all. Everything is riding on the other game, however, where Portugal must avoid defeat to a deceptively efficient Iranian team to progress. & if they beat them, as expected, the scoreline could well effect if they finish first or second. Happily I have managed to find that game on another channel (up around 50 or something), and have got the Spain match live on my computer. So how's that for technology in the 21st century :P

Bizarre incidents going on in both games. Moroccans are looking very angry with Spain and the ref early on and there's already been a scuffle, while the Iranian keeper actually gave one of his own defenders a shove as they shouted at each other after a misunderstanding. Everybody just keep calm and play football :? No goals yet . . .