Lions squad named

Anything rugby not covered by the other forums.

Moderators: Puja, Misc Forum Mod

jngf

Re: Lions squad named

Post by jngf »

paddy no 11 wrote:So it will be Bernie or lawes at 6? And hence selects 2 pretty mobile 8s in conan and Simmonds for balance?
I would move Simmonds to 7 with Falatau at 8 . Kolisi isn’t an out and out openside imo (though back up Quagga Smith is) and Simmonds would have a distinct edge of pace on him. Lawes (or for that matter Beirne) would be there to counter giant Boks no.7
morepork

Post by morepork »

The Boks play left and right, not open and blind.

Hill. Is he the goofy looking mullet that flops over the top of every ruck trying to kill the ball no matter how obvious?
Big D

Post by Big D »

Spiffy wrote:The squad looks short of nippy, ball-playing centres capable of bring the pacy back three into the game. Gatland has gone for midfield lumps with defence obviously in mind (though Henshaw is quite good in both attack and defence.) That said, there were few footballing centres sticking their hands up.
You mean you wouldn't pick the obvious Bigger at 10 and Russell at 12 combo :D.

I jest, but wouldn't totally surprise me to see Finn at 12 in one of the tour games
Sandydragon

Post by Sandydragon »

Big D wrote:
Sandydragon wrote: I think Dugan has benefitted from North’s injury. I’m not convinced that gatland would have used him in the centre but he certainly like a big winger and Dugan can fill that gap. As you say it’s then a battle for the other wingers and I am really pleased that LRZ has his opportunity. I’m not sure he will make the test team if playing tomorrow but he’s the sort of player who might force himself into consideration.
Must admit my initial thought was Daly and Harris were the main beneficiaries of that. Then I thought it was perhaps Aki as North being out left a big body in the centres short.

Equally plausible one of the back 3 were the main beneficiary.
Also very possible.
jngf

Post by jngf »

morepork wrote:The Boks play left and right, not open and blind.

Hill. Is he the goofy looking mullet that flops over the top of every ruck trying to kill the ball no matter how obvious?
Think they play open and blind but with shirt numbers reversed?
Banquo

Post by Banquo »

paddy no 11 wrote:Think Adams is a super winger, no doubts about him at all
agreed, somewhat underrated.

Williams will feature on the wing though, imo.
Banquo

Post by Banquo »

jngf wrote:
paddy no 11 wrote:So it will be Bernie or lawes at 6? And hence selects 2 pretty mobile 8s in conan and Simmonds for balance?
I would move Simmonds to 7 with Falatau at 8 . Kolisi isn’t an out and out openside imo (though back up Quagga Smith is) and Simmonds would have a distinct edge of pace on him. Lawes (or for that matter Beirne) would be there to counter giant Boks no.7
Simmonds has zero international experience at 7 and not much more at club level. He doesn't play like a 7 either, though he likely could.
Puja

Post by Puja »

morepork wrote:The Boks play left and right, not open and blind.

He is. Got a good repertoire in other idiotic penalties from the last 6N as well. He does have size and good hands and decent skills and is a good carrier - he's got a lot of potential, but I'm not sure I'd support him being in the England squad right now after that 6N, let alone in the Lions ahead of Gray and Ryan.

Puja
Backist Monk
whatisthejava

Post by whatisthejava »

Im not a huge fan of the style of rugby Gatland is opting for in the forwards - i think squads like this could well be one of the last as i just cant see this style of forwards surviving concussion

But

That is the forwards to execute his plan.
Banquo

Post by Banquo »

whatisthejava wrote:Im not a huge fan of the style of rugby Gatland is opting for in the forwards - i think squads like this could well be one of the last as i just cant see this style of forwards surviving concussion

But

well he's picked three opensides and Simmonds.....Faletau is a skilled 8. He's gone for hybrid 6's to counteract the Saffer threat there. He's gone for good, penalty free scrummaging, and a solid lineout with three/four jumpers. Seems pretty sensible. I'm not sure he's looking to run into the saffers tbh - Wyn Jones and Furlong are adept in the loose, as are the hookers (esp LCD), Itoje and AWJ aren't really boshers, and the back row I've covered above. As England found in the RWC final, if your forward basics aren't there, you get shredded.

Frankly, I would have gone Gray over Hill, and Sinckler over Fagerson; but can see why he's done what he's done.
Hooky

Post by Hooky »

Banquo wrote:
jngf wrote:
Mr Mwenda wrote:
Agreed, I think Farrell is pretty lucky too (even if it's no surprise). It seems wrong that Ford will never get a lions cap, May as well. I hope the change of scene invigorates Daly.

I hope Simmonds rewards Gatland but I fear he and Hill will end with the tacklebags.
Disagree re Simmonds - I think he will make test team at 7
Pretty unlikely given he has three test class opensides in front of him and his test match experience there is ....zip. I do think he'd make a high quality 7, but its not the role he performs for Exeter.
Agreed. Faletau has test experience at 6, 7 and 8. Could see Faletau 6, Curry 7, Simmonds 8?
morepork

Post by morepork »

The Boks have not played a game for nearly two years, so you'd expect the plan would be to do 'em with the rough end of a pineapple in the first test.
paddy no 11

Post by paddy no 11 »

Peter steph is definitely a blindside and it'll be lawes or Bernie against him for size and lineout ability
whatisthejava

Post by whatisthejava »

Squidge breaks down the squad

Offers a possible explanation for Conan, Simmons, Aki and Daly

Also notes that Connor Murray is the odd man out in the backs, if he is right, really not sure how he starts the first test
Cameo

Post by Cameo »

It's an interesting analysis and his explanation of the roles of the 8s and centres is good. I am not sure that I agree with his premise that everyone had thought they knew the likely squad and it was a big shock though. I'm surprised by some of the names but always thought there were a lot of close calls.
Big D

Post by Big D »

Banquo wrote:
whatisthejava wrote:Im not a huge fan of the style of rugby Gatland is opting for in the forwards - i think squads like this could well be one of the last as i just cant see this style of forwards surviving concussion

But

well he's picked three opensides and Simmonds.....Faletau is a skilled 8. He's gone for hybrid 6's to counteract the Saffer threat there. He's gone for good, penalty free scrummaging, and a solid lineout with three/four jumpers. Seems pretty sensible. I'm not sure he's looking to run into the saffers tbh - Wyn Jones and Furlong are adept in the loose, as are the hookers (esp LCD), Itoje and AWJ aren't really boshers, and the back row I've covered above. As England found in the RWC final, if your forward basics aren't there, you get shredded.

Frankly, I would have gone Gray over Hill, and Sinckler over Fagerson; but can see why he's done what he's done.
I think he will be looking to move them about. It is a mobile group of forwards.

Although South Africa are very good, of course they are, I am not sure they are deserving of the pedestal of some mythical physical rugby machine that some are putting them on. They were great v England but Wales took them deep into the semi and could have won.

They are favourites to win the series but it should be a competitive series.
Mellsblue

Post by Mellsblue »

SA haven’t played since the final and are struggling to find warm up matches. Georgia currently look their best bet. It could be the first Lions tour when the hosts are in more of a rush to gel as a team.
On an individual player level, only those playing in Europe have had any meaningful rugby. The cards are stacked against them.
Mikey Brown

Post by Mikey Brown »

Seems everyone is pretty settled on the theory Gatland will go with

19. Lock
20. Lock/blindside auxiliary jumper
21. Running 8
22. Scrumhalf
23. Daly likely used to cover all the outside backs and backup goal-kicking option.

Or will at least have it as an option he can use.

Not massive on 6:2 splits in general but it could be a good way to go here, and crucially gives some options on the bench to change the approach entirely if we see a repeat of the RWC final. Might also have been another reason Sexton’s durability was a big factor.

Thinking about the final, I wonder if that adds another layer of disappointment for Sinkler. I think I remember him saying he doesn’t remember anything beyond the anthems. I’m sure he feels like he has something to prove, and whilst he’s not been in red hot form (prior to this weekend) he has skills that few can match when he’s at his best. Fagerson is a fantastic, abrasive nuts and bolts tight-head option now but I’ve not seen enough of Porter to know if he offers any particular USP? Playing both sides of the scrum doesn’t seem like such a bonus since 23 man squads?

Like many I think Hill is lucky to be there ahead of Ryan and Gray, but maybe Gatland thinks he can get him rampaging around like he does at Exeter and that would make him a great option off the bench to mix things up. Still not convinced he can sort his discipline/technique around the breakdown quickly enough not to be a liability.

Curry is class. Had a very up and down 6 nations but I can understand it being hard to leave him out.

6. Beirne 7. Watson 8. Faletau has such an appealing balance to it though. Maybe with Beirne available as a hybrid player in the starting side we’d get 2 backrowers on the bench. There’s a logic to playing Lawes at 6, but I’d hope he’s not being looked at as a test starter there.

I tried picking a team using the BBC selector thing and just gave up when I got to the centres.

Overall I’m amazed how I’m actually interested in the Lions tour again now.
Mikey Brown

Post by Mikey Brown »

Not sure how this fits in with the theory though.

"We're not going there to kick the leather off it. There are times we're going to need to get in that arm wrestle but we want to be positive.

"If you need to tighten up as the game goes on, it's a heck of a lot easier to do that, than go the other way and play territory then suddenly need to be expansive."
Cameo

Post by Cameo »

Mikey Brown wrote:Not sure how this fits in with the theory though.

"We're not going there to kick the leather off it. There are times we're going to need to get in that arm wrestle but we want to be positive.

"If you need to tighten up as the game goes on, it's a heck of a lot easier to do that, than go the other way and play territory then suddenly need to be expansive."
I think you do. His initials are FR.
Numbers

Post by Numbers »

Good performances from Simmonds, LRZ, Watson and Adams this weekend from the games I watched, good to see them in a bit of form.
Big D

Post by Big D »

Mikey Brown wrote:Seems everyone is pretty settled on the theory Gatland will go with

19. Lock
20. Lock/blindside auxiliary jumper
21. Running 8
22. Scrumhalf
23. Daly likely used to cover all the outside backs and backup goal-kicking option.

Or will at least have it as an option he can use.

Not massive on 6:2 splits in general but it could be a good way to go here, and crucially gives some options on the bench to change the approach entirely if we see a repeat of the RWC final. Might also have been another reason Sexton’s durability was a big factor.

Thinking about the final, I wonder if that adds another layer of disappointment for Sinkler. I think I remember him saying he doesn’t remember anything beyond the anthems. I’m sure he feels like he has something to prove, and whilst he’s not been in red hot form (prior to this weekend) he has skills that few can match when he’s at his best. Fagerson is a fantastic, abrasive nuts and bolts tight-head option now but I’ve not seen enough of Porter to know if he offers any particular USP? Playing both sides of the scrum doesn’t seem like such a bonus since 23 man squads?

Like many I think Hill is lucky to be there ahead of Ryan and Gray, but maybe Gatland thinks he can get him rampaging around like he does at Exeter and that would make him a great option off the bench to mix things up. Still not convinced he can sort his discipline/technique around the breakdown quickly enough not to be a liability.

Curry is class. Had a very up and down 6 nations but I can understand it being hard to leave him out.

6. Beirne 7. Watson 8. Faletau has such an appealing balance to it though. Maybe with Beirne available as a hybrid player in the starting side we’d get 2 backrowers on the bench. There’s a logic to playing Lawes at 6, but I’d hope he’s not being looked at as a test starter there.

I tried picking a team using the BBC selector thing and just gave up when I got to the centres.

Overall I’m amazed how I’m actually interested in the Lions tour again now.
Porter covering LHP is potentially more important due to Covid for extreme circumstances.

I am quite looking forward to it, I keep seeing people referring to the Lions naming big forwards. I think it is a forward pack ready designed for a game plan that moves the ball about the park.
Big D

Post by Big D »

Numbers wrote:Good performances from Simmonds, LRZ, Watson and Adams this weekend from the games I watched, good to see them in a bit of form.
Price played well for Glasgow. But it was against Edinburgh so there is that. Fagerson was grand against a good LHP.

Duhan was quiet but he plays wing for Edinburgh so wouldn't hold it against him as they seem to deliberately avoid letting wingers touch it.
Big D

Post by Big D »

Meant to add, hopefully Biggar only has minor concussion symptoms and no long standing issues.

Finn was involved in a very nicely worked try with a deftly weighted kick for Thomas (I think) to run on to.
Numbers

Post by Numbers »

Big D wrote:Meant to add, hopefully Biggar only has minor concussion symptoms and no long standing issues.

Finn was involved in a very nicely worked try with a deftly weighted kick for Thomas (I think) to run on to.
Boyd reckon he'll be ok for the next Saints game so looks like he'll be fine, he did run off the pitch but failed the subsequent HIA.