Euro 2020 Finals

Banquo

Re: Euro 2020 Finals

Post by Banquo »

Galfon wrote:
Banquo wrote: They aren't lacking 'dog' in midfield with Rice and Phillips- who both garnered praise v Croatia. I'd agree that we need to be more direct and creative though Grealish made no difference when he came on. They were just lethargic.
Different type of dog perhaps ..(snappier) !
Grealish offered something different but Sco adjusted well.
Always difficult to pin cause of lethargy/not being fired up in big tournaments,...as long as we don't get the 'long hard season' cr@p!
Early days, as Gary Lin. reminded Eng were goalless with 1 point before the 3rd match v Pol. in '86, and somehow upped a gear to reach the QF.
aye, and tbh I don't follow footie very closely these days. I think the occasion got to the England team tbh, bit like rugby, we tend to underestimate the 'dog' of the scots (and welsh)- I'd also think that maybe the heat of the Croatia game took something out of their legs, mind we'd had an extra day to recover v the scots.
Galfon

Post by Galfon »

Banquo wrote: aye, and tbh I don't follow footie very closely these days. I think the occasion got to the England team tbh, bit like rugby, we tend to underestimate the 'dog' of the scots (and welsh)..
ditto - top level matches in this sport are not as accessible as before, and allegiance is fuzzier due to the continual staff/player turnover.However, always good to see the Home nations do well.
You could tell the young Eng players had not played (or even seen)
a derby-type international like this before, they appeared baffled.
Digby

Post by Digby »

On Radio 5 this morning they played the Welsh team song, which sounded suspiciously like Theres no one as Irish as Barack Obama by the Corrigan Brothers
Stom

Post by Stom »

Banquo wrote:
Galfon wrote:
Banquo wrote: They aren't lacking 'dog' in midfield with Rice and Phillips- who both garnered praise v Croatia. I'd agree that we need to be more direct and creative though Grealish made no difference when he came on. They were just lethargic.
Different type of dog perhaps ..(snappier) !
Grealish offered something different but Sco adjusted well.
Always difficult to pin cause of lethargy/not being fired up in big tournaments,...as long as we don't get the 'long hard season' cr@p!
Early days, as Gary Lin. reminded Eng were goalless with 1 point before the 3rd match v Pol. in '86, and somehow upped a gear to reach the QF.
aye, and tbh I don't follow footie very closely these days. I think the occasion got to the England team tbh, bit like rugby, we tend to underestimate the 'dog' of the scots (and welsh)- I'd also think that maybe the heat of the Croatia game took something out of their legs, mind we'd had an extra day to recover v the scots.
The reason I don’t watch as much football anymore is because too many teams play like they’ve been instructed to be tight and play it safe. Players like grealish and pogba have been marginalized or shoehorned into systems that don’t show off their skills, and forwards don’t make interesting moves anymore… they’re so stationary.
Galfon

Post by Galfon »

Ita cruise on, & Wal pip Sui for the 2nd slot.Another determined effort by them in the heat.

Tur first of the 'eight-out-the-gate' :arrow: ..
WaspInWales

Post by WaspInWales »

Banquo wrote:aye, and tbh I don't follow footie very closely these days. I think the occasion got to the England team tbh, bit like rugby, we tend to underestimate the 'dog' of the scots (and welsh)- I'd also think that maybe the heat of the Croatia game took something out of their legs, mind we'd had an extra day to recover v the scots.
It's weird how there are so many parallels between England on the rugby and football pitch. We have some outstanding talent available for both national teams but by Christ it can be so difficult to watch them play...can probably add cricket to the list of sports where we struggle to perform, although we don't have as much talent available compared to rugby and football, well certainly not with the bat!

I think coaching is the main issue. The negative, conservative systems used and over-reliance on players who are simply not playing well enough are hampering us...just as what has happened in the rugby.

Kane has been abject but Southgate and a few pundits seem so sure that he is just going to suddenly bounce back and start fire in goals. Southgate has already confirmed Kane will start Tuesday. I don't get it. He has been one of our poorest performers but that's not an issue. If he is poor again, that is pretty much a sub wasted as he'll be replaced after 70 odd minutes when maybe DCL could start instead.

No idea why Sancho or Bellingham haven't had go from the bench or why starting Grealish hasn't been an option. Two holding midfielders is like having Youngs and Farrell at 9 and 10.

The draw with Scotland wasn't quite the apocalyptical omen that some thought, but if that match didn't highlight our failings, then I don't know what will.

We have been a bit shit for ages tbh. Qualifying at a canter was one things. We scored for fun in a few matches against poor opposition including putting 5 past the Czechs at Wembley. I really can't see that happening on Tuesday when the they have a chance to progress too. They're going to be up for it...just like Scotland were.
Stom

Post by Stom »

WaspInWales wrote:
Banquo wrote:aye, and tbh I don't follow footie very closely these days. I think the occasion got to the England team tbh, bit like rugby, we tend to underestimate the 'dog' of the scots (and welsh)- I'd also think that maybe the heat of the Croatia game took something out of their legs, mind we'd had an extra day to recover v the scots.
It's weird how there are so many parallels between England on the rugby and football pitch. We have some outstanding talent available for both national teams but by Christ it can be so difficult to watch them play...can probably add cricket to the list of sports where we struggle to perform, although we don't have as much talent available compared to rugby and football, well certainly not with the bat!

I think coaching is the main issue. The negative, conservative systems used and over-reliance on players who are simply not playing well enough are hampering us...just as what has happened in the rugby.

Kane has been abject but Southgate and a few pundits seem so sure that he is just going to suddenly bounce back and start fire in goals. Southgate has already confirmed Kane will start Tuesday. I don't get it. He has been one of our poorest performers but that's not an issue. If he is poor again, that is pretty much a sub wasted as he'll be replaced after 70 odd minutes when maybe DCL could start instead.

No idea why Sancho or Bellingham haven't had go from the bench or why starting Grealish hasn't been an option. Two holding midfielders is like having Youngs and Farrell at 9 and 10.

The draw with Scotland wasn't quite the apocalyptical omen that some thought, but if that match didn't highlight our failings, then I don't know what will.

We have been a bit shit for ages tbh. Qualifying at a canter was one things. We scored for fun in a few matches against poor opposition including putting 5 past the Czechs at Wembley. I really can't see that happening on Tuesday when the they have a chance to progress too. They're going to be up for it...just like Scotland were.
I disagree on Kane. While he did miss a chance, he’s not got many chances… kinda hard to do well as a forward when you don’t get the ball!

England’s balance is just all wrong.
Galfon

Post by Galfon »

'Getting out the Group always main objective..' he might say, which has done now due to results elsewhere.
The East leading the charge for the early buses home (Tur, Rus, N.Mac.).
Billy G has upset a few apple-carts it seems..might cause a bit more head-scratching re. player availability in both camps.
Banquo

Post by Banquo »

Should England end up third, who would their likely opponents be? You also may now see both the England and Czech teams trying to lose to avoid one of Portugal/France/Germany :lol:

(that said, playing at Wembley would be preferable to any side away from Wembley, ya'd think)
Digby

Post by Digby »

Stom wrote:
I disagree on Kane. While he did miss a chance, he’s not got many chances… kinda hard to do well as a forward when you don’t get the ball!

England’s balance is just all wrong.
He's the Owen Farrell of football, works hard, always happy to take a shot at goal, skills not actually as bad as his critics deride if still a little clunky, and with no pace to trouble a decent defence
Galfon

Post by Galfon »

Inching forward, more options now for GS.Saka especially giving what was missing.Another home tie against a useful opponent next week.(Ger, Fra or Por)
Not this time for Sco but at least bagged a goal.
Galfon

Post by Galfon »

Ita (31 matches unbeaten) & Den (2 conseq. score-4) fru to the QF's., Wal and Aut out.
Plenty of free-flowing positive play around tbf.
Stom

Post by Stom »

Well that was a bit easy
Galfon

Post by Galfon »

Stom wrote:Well that was a bit easy
As it should have been, given the players available maybe.
Record equalling clean sheet run for finals - impressive.
2 matches at Wembley to finish it ?
Eng - Ita would be some final.
Galfon

Post by Galfon »

Nearly home - stern test by strong and clever Danes, who ran out of steam in the end against Southgate's grinders.
Strenf in depf in midfield/attack could bring joy in the final if he's brave enough to use it.
Puja

Post by Puja »

Southgate's not been afraid to make some very decisive tactical choices over the tournament and every single one has paid off so far. Don't think there's been a game where he's rested on his laurels and just named the same XI and formation. Fair play to him.

That was a terrible penalty by Kane though. Hopefully he's got that out of his system.

Puja
Backist Monk
Puja

Post by Puja »

As it turns out, it wasn't coming home after all.

Hindsight's 20:20. but I think it was a poor decision to try and shut up shop after half-time. Shaw and Trippier lost all ambition to go forward, dragging Mount and Sterling back with them and we went from a 3-4-3 to basically 5-4-1 and invited Italy to come onto us. Bring on Saka/Grealish/Sancho/Foden or someone for Mount and carried on attacking with pace and we could've got a dominant victory rather knackering ourselves out by letting them have all the ball and us have all the chasing.

Still, nearly worked. Bit of a shame, but it is only football after all.

Puja
Backist Monk
Galfon

Post by Galfon »

Yes, it's going Rome.
The better team won - posession, shots on target vastly superior. Eng. best player possibly the goalie, and the star-man centre forward had no touches in the 18-yd area, or shots in the whole 120 mins. A tadge reluctant to mix things up a bit, GS perhaps.
Puja

Post by Puja »

Galfon wrote:Yes, it's going Rome.
The better team won - posession, shots on target vastly superior. Eng. best player possibly the goalie, and the star-man centre forward had no touches in the 18-yd area, or shots in the whole 120 mins. A tadge reluctant to mix things up a bit, GS perhaps.
TBF, the tactics in the first half didn't require Kane to lead the line, but be the decoy. He dropped deep and either exploited the space between the defence and midfield or dragged one of the defenders out of the line to follow him and left space for runners behind. The goal was the perfect example as he put in the gorgeous pass to Trippier and then repeated the dose with another lovely ball to the wide man running about 5 minutes later.

Then, for some reason... we just stopped doing it. Played the rest of the game with no-one attacking Italy at all and Kane left lonely on his own.

I don't know we can say Italy were clearly superior - they had all the possession, but didn't create a chance worthy of the name and scored with a scrambled effort from a poorly defended corner. Shots on target are statistically lovely, but most were from distance and rolling gently towards the keeper. I think they did deserve the win cause, as I mentioned, we just stopped playing entirely and let them have the entire second half, but it's not a game that either side can really be proud of.

Mind, from the Italian perspective, who cares how crappily your final was won? Forza Italia and well done.

Puja
Backist Monk
Mikey Brown

Post by Mikey Brown »

Got wrapped up in the game and was gutted to lose, then seeing the way ‘fans’ are responding it makes me kind of glad. We really are a bunch of cunts.
francoisfou

Post by francoisfou »

I rarely watch football and am not really up to date with the laws, but I was extremely surprised that when the Italian captain grabbed hold of an England player’s shirt and yanked him to the ground, he was only shown a yellow card. That would have warranted ten minutes in the bin!!
Donny osmond

Re: RE: Re: Euro 2020 Finals

Post by Donny osmond »

francoisfou wrote:I rarely watch football and am not really up to date with the laws, but I was extremely surprised that when the Italian captain grabbed hold of an England player’s shirt and yanked him to the ground, he was only shown a yellow card. That would have warranted ten minutes in the bin!!
Likewise with not often watching football, but I was amazed that wasn't a straight red. Wtf?

Anyway better team won, I felt GS was a bit of a rabbit in the headlights tbh, got given a coaching lesson by Mancini.

If England had a record of being unbeaten in 34(?) games and only beaten twice in 40(?), I feel like we'd be calling them one of the all time great teams... that's what England's youngsters were up against, so fair play to them for going toe to toe for 120 mins.

Sent from my CPH1951 using Tapatalk
Big D

Post by Big D »

A good tournament for England with a dose of what might have been.

The two noticeable things for me were that when England play 3-5-2, or a variation of it, the 3rd CM or attacker needs to have a bit more creativity than Mount was giving England last night. It is a tough player to find but with two DMs and two wing backs the pressure is on the two furthest forward and that 3rd CM. Mount will continue to develop.

The second was that Kane was completely done by about 70min but there is no one of any substance who can come on and play that role when a change is needed.

With Mount, Foden, Sancho, Bellingham, Rashford, James etc England will always be challenging for QFs/SFs in the next few major tournaments.

One player I don't get all the hype around is Grealish though.
Which Tyler

Post by Which Tyler »

Will gladly swap racists for migrants.
Ban them, refer them to the police, prosecute them.

https://www.change.org/p/football-assoc ... in-england

After last night’s match, vile racist abuse was directed at our heroic players Marcus Rashford, Bukayo Saka and Jadon Sancho. Minutes after the final whistle of the Euro final, The Football Association issued a statement which said: “We could not be clearer that anyone behind such disgusting behaviour is not welcome in following the team. We will do all we can to support the players affected while urging the toughest punishments possible for anyone responsible”.

As multi-racial football fans, we finally feel represented by this anti-racist and inclusive England team. We could not be more proud or inspired by our magnificent team and by their talent, bravery, leadership and love for all. Gareth Southgate’s England team plays for ALL of us. Their vision is an inclusive vision and this matters more than EVER - it’s why we feel proud of this team and why they’re so cherished and loved by many of us. There should be no room for racists and bigotry in football or society.

We are calling for the Football Association and the government to work together now to ban all those who have carried out racist abuse, online or offline, from all football matches in England for life.

Our England team stood up for all of us - now we must stand up for them.
Digby

Post by Digby »

Big D wrote:A good tournament for England with a dose of what might have been.

The two noticeable things for me were that when England play 3-5-2, or a variation of it, the 3rd CM or attacker needs to have a bit more creativity than Mount was giving England last night. It is a tough player to find but with two DMs and two wing backs the pressure is on the two furthest forward and that 3rd CM. Mount will continue to develop.

The second was that Kane was completely done by about 70min but there is no one of any substance who can come on and play that role when a change is needed.

With Mount, Foden, Sancho, Bellingham, Rashford, James etc England will always be challenging for QFs/SFs in the next few major tournaments.

One player I don't get all the hype around is Grealish though.
Mount wants more pace ahead of him to feed into or behind, which Kane for all he offers doesn't offer, Kane wants more pace running in behind him which Mount doesn't offer. They can likely develop as a pairing in the side, but it starts out as not the easiest pairing to make work. Foden also doesn't offer much pace in behind, so there's 3 quality players who could all well feature who all want someone else to offer pace, and to expect all of that to come from Sterling who can just be marked more closely if he's the only one offering pace will make the movement of the attack harder again. They have themselves a classic best players Vs best team conundrum

Bellingham has certainly turned heads in camp. Just a massive future in the game.

England can never have had this many quality right backs, TAA isn't even an obvious pick as 3rd choice

Grealish commits defenders, and will do so on repeat basis even if earlier attempts fail. Not many players are willing to try that once, let alone again and still fewer after a failure or two, and you need something to get between or behind the lines such a defence is scrambling. Having him in the side alongside a Sterling or Sancho will help him because then you've more than one option happy to carry at a defence and that's so much harder to close down, just one carrier is like putting one passer in a rugby side in Hodgson and then waiting for him to making passing moves work with Noon and Tindall outside him. And he has belief and drive, which are very useful to have around a squad (unless he starts to get annoyed he's not starting more, and that might yet prove a problem)