Quarter final

Moderator: Sandydragon

pompey-zebra

Re: Quarter final

Post by pompey-zebra »

normanski wrote: Tue Oct 10, 2023 5:49 pm
pompey-zebra wrote: Tue Oct 10, 2023 12:41 pm Reading on BBC sport that Anscombe and Williams are " not yet ruled out" of selection which sounds a bit less positive than "available for selection" as declared yesterday. However, both are jogging in training and will be assessed before the team's announced on Thursday ( or whenever they suddenly decide to move the team announcement to this time.)
Perhaps it’s Gatland playing mind games with Argentina. They don’t know who will be playing FB - Liam, Halfpenny or even LRZ.

Similarly, Biggar, Anscombe or even Costelow at outside half.

Two pivotal positions to keep the Argentinans guessing.

And I bet he will delay the squad announcement until the last minute.
Fail saying this morning that Costellow is now likely to be on the bench with Biggar starting.
normanski

Post by normanski »

pompey-zebra wrote: Thu Oct 12, 2023 5:39 am
normanski wrote: Tue Oct 10, 2023 5:49 pm
pompey-zebra wrote: Tue Oct 10, 2023 12:41 pm Reading on BBC sport that Anscombe and Williams are " not yet ruled out" of selection which sounds a bit less positive than "available for selection" as declared yesterday. However, both are jogging in training and will be assessed before the team's announced on Thursday ( or whenever they suddenly decide to move the team announcement to this time.)
Perhaps it’s Gatland playing mind games with Argentina. They don’t know who will be playing FB - Liam, Halfpenny or even LRZ.

Similarly, Biggar, Anscombe or even Costelow at outside half.

Two pivotal positions to keep the Argentinans guessing.

And I bet he will delay the squad announcement until the last minute.
Fail saying this morning that Costellow is now likely to be on the bench with Biggar starting.
We’ll certainly need Dan’s nous to get us well into the game. I’d hate to see him injured with a semi beckoning. If things go well get him off with 20 minutes to go and let Costelow gain more experience of big international games.
Numbers

Post by Numbers »

Shame there's no Thomas, I would feel better with him on the bench and also Dee, tho if we need some go forward in the last 20 then Lake is probably our best bet, I'm looking forward to seeing how the backrow gels and I think with our best two breakdown exponents on the pitch we'll be very competitive at the breakdown.
Ross. S

Post by Ross. S »

From the BBC
Wales team to face Argentina: L Williams; Rees-Zammit, North, Tompkins, Adams; Biggar, G Davies; G Thomas, Elias, Francis, Rowlands, Beard, Morgan (capt), Reffell, Wainwright.

Replacements: Lake, Domachowski, D Lewis, D Jenkins, Tshiunza, T Williams, Costelow, Dyer.
Sandydragon

Post by Sandydragon »

I like the starting team. I wonder if the daft yellow scuppered Basham's bench chances, or if the management are concerned about fixing a line out issue. Or just want some grunt for later on?

Not loving Lewis on the bench when we have a better scrummaging option; hopefully this won't be exposed.
Sourdust

Post by Sourdust »

Sandydragon wrote: Thu Oct 12, 2023 2:08 pm I like the starting team. I wonder if the daft yellow scuppered Basham's bench chances, or if the management are concerned about fixing a line out issue.
I'd guess the former; it was a proper brainfart. He's useful in the lineout, the last try against Aus he was the jumper.

Or as you say, Christ offers something different, whereas Basham is more of a like-for-like with Morgan & Reffell.
normanski

Post by normanski »

Sourdust wrote: Sat Oct 14, 2023 2:02 am
Sandydragon wrote: Thu Oct 12, 2023 2:08 pm I like the starting team. I wonder if the daft yellow scuppered Basham's bench chances, or if the management are concerned about fixing a line out issue.
I'd guess the former; it was a proper brainfart. He's useful in the lineout, the last try against Aus he was the jumper.

Or as you say, Christ offers something different, whereas Basham is more of a like-for-like with Morgan & Reffell.
Hopefully Christ is growing in confidence at this World Cup and can help close out the game. He has all the attributes to be a great player he just needs to deliver now.
UKHamlet
Site Admin

Post by UKHamlet »

Nicked this from Reddit.

I really enjoyed watching the Japan Argentina game lots of fun line breaking tries good times. But lets be honest both teams had porous defense Argentina had tackle rate of 72%, Japan 83 %, Wales have the best tackle rate of the QF teams at 88% and an average166 tackles per game.

Argentina also has the worst scum of the QF with 80%. Wales have the best scrum success rate at 98% having lost 1 scrum in 4 games.

Argentina have the worst rate of turnovers won. They also conceded 13 turns against Chile, 16 against England, and similar numbers against Samoa & and England. Wales have conceded the least turnovers per game.

Wales are Sixth for red zone entries (9.3) and seventh for phases played there, they nevertheless have the second-best scoring efficiency at 3.72 points per visit.

Argentina had the fewest red-zone entries of the sides left (9.0 per game), they are the third most efficient, averaging 3.14 points per entry.

Wales scored 17 tries (6th highest) 4 against Fiji, 4 against a strong Portugal, 3 against Australia and 6 against Georgia and finished on +84.

Argentina scored 15 tries 7 Against Chile, 6 against Japan 2 against Samoa 0 against England pd +58.

Heading into this final round of matches at the Rugby World Cup, the three games with the highest ball in play time were Scotland v Romania, at 39 minutes and 40 seconds, and Wales v Portugal, at 38 minutes and 21 seconds. Another match involving Wales, against Fiji, is next on the list at 37 minutes and 52 seconds.

I'd say Wales have a slight advantage going into the game.
Graigwen

Post by Graigwen »

normanski wrote: Sat Oct 14, 2023 8:05 am Hopefully Christ is growing in confidence at this World Cup and can help close out the game. He has all the attributes to be a great player he just needs to deliver now.
He is another of our players who is learning on the job. That is what you get if you try to compress a four year cycle of team development into ten months. It is remarkable that this team has been constructed so quickly, although maybe this World Cup has come too soon for us.
normanski

Post by normanski »

UKHamlet wrote: Sat Oct 14, 2023 9:29 am Nicked this from Reddit.

I really enjoyed watching the Japan Argentina game lots of fun line breaking tries good times. But lets be honest both teams had porous defense Argentina had tackle rate of 72%, Japan 83 %, Wales have the best tackle rate of the QF teams at 88% and an average166 tackles per game.

Argentina also has the worst scum of the QF with 80%. Wales have the best scrum success rate at 98% having lost 1 scrum in 4 games.

Argentina have the worst rate of turnovers won. They also conceded 13 turns against Chile, 16 against England, and similar numbers against Samoa & and England. Wales have conceded the least turnovers per game.

Wales are Sixth for red zone entries (9.3) and seventh for phases played there, they nevertheless have the second-best scoring efficiency at 3.72 points per visit.

Argentina had the fewest red-zone entries of the sides left (9.0 per game), they are the third most efficient, averaging 3.14 points per entry.

Wales scored 17 tries (6th highest) 4 against Fiji, 4 against a strong Portugal, 3 against Australia and 6 against Georgia and finished on +84.

Argentina scored 15 tries 7 Against Chile, 6 against Japan 2 against Samoa 0 against England pd +58.

Heading into this final round of matches at the Rugby World Cup, the three games with the highest ball in play time were Scotland v Romania, at 39 minutes and 40 seconds, and Wales v Portugal, at 38 minutes and 21 seconds. Another match involving Wales, against Fiji, is next on the list at 37 minutes and 52 seconds.

When you see stats like that, then Gatland is probably correct in saying that Wales will surprise people at the World Cup.

On paper, we should win by at least 10 points but Argentina might up their game and prove difficult to put away until the last quarter.
Graigwen

Post by Graigwen »

Worrying is setting in.

If Wainwright is injured, who else in today's squad has experience at 8?
normanski

Post by normanski »

Graigwen wrote: Sat Oct 14, 2023 1:30 pm Worrying is setting in.

If Wainwright is injured, who else in today's squad has experience at 8?
Hasn’t Basham played across all three positions? Just realised he’s not in the squad! I suppose Jenkins or Christ would have to fill in.
Graigwen

Post by Graigwen »

normanski wrote: Sat Oct 14, 2023 1:41 pm

Hasn’t Basham played across all three positions? Just realised he’s not in the squad! I suppose Jenkins or Christ would have to fill in.
Yes, Basham is always considered to cover all the back row including 8.

Nor is our joke cover for 2nd row, all the back row and other positions (Grady!) in today's 23.

I think Tshiunza has played at 8, although I don't know how often. I suppose otherwise Morgan at 8 and Tshiunza at 6. It only matters at the back of set scrums. Tshiunza plays well alongside Jenkins for obviours reasons.

Lizard

Post by Lizard »

Anyone got a stream for this one? I'm in Oman and struggling to find coverage.
Son of Mathonwy

Post by Son of Mathonwy »

Graigwen wrote: Sat Oct 14, 2023 9:40 am
normanski wrote: Sat Oct 14, 2023 8:05 am Hopefully Christ is growing in confidence at this World Cup and can help close out the game. He has all the attributes to be a great player he just needs to deliver now.
He is another of our players who is learning on the job. That is what you get if you try to compress a four year cycle of team development into ten months. It is remarkable that this team has been constructed so quickly, although maybe this World Cup has come too soon for us.
That's not really true though. We've just had a change of coach 3 years into the development cycle. Tshiunza is too young to have had much more than a year of development at the top level. The Tompkins/North partnership has definitely been developed over a few years.
Ross. S

Post by Ross. S »

Lizard wrote: Sat Oct 14, 2023 3:45 pm Anyone got a stream for this one? I'm in Oman and struggling to find coverage.
https://www.itv.com/watch?channel=itv

Will need to sign in and may need a VPN
Son of Mathonwy

Post by Son of Mathonwy »

normanski wrote: Sat Oct 14, 2023 11:14 am
UKHamlet wrote: Sat Oct 14, 2023 9:29 am Nicked this from Reddit.

When you see stats like that, then Gatland is probably correct in saying that Wales will surprise people at the World Cup.

On paper, we should win by at least 10 points but Argentina might up their game and prove difficult to put away until the last quarter.
I am feeling strangely confident about this one.
UKHamlet
Site Admin

Post by UKHamlet »

Shittin briquettes now.
Ross. S

Post by Ross. S »

UKHamlet wrote: Sat Oct 14, 2023 3:56 pm Shittin briquettes now.
I was just about to say the same. An hour ago I felt quite confident but the nerves are kicking in. A nice LRZ hatrick in 10 minutes should help :lol:
UKHamlet
Site Admin

Post by UKHamlet »

Yuss!
Lizard

Post by Lizard »

Ross. S wrote: Sat Oct 14, 2023 3:53 pm
Lizard wrote: Sat Oct 14, 2023 3:45 pm Anyone got a stream for this one? I'm in Oman and struggling to find coverage.
https://www.itv.com/watch?channel=itv

Will need to sign in and may need a VPN
thanks, but I can't get this working here.

Post by Banquo »

peyper crocked. Your backs all over argentina
normanski

Post by normanski »

Well done! First try and points.
normanski

Post by normanski »

We’re making silly errors.
normanski