V Highlanders

Moderators: Puja, Misc Forum Mod

Banquo

Re: V Highlanders

Post by Banquo »

Matt Ha wrote:
Mikey Brown wrote:Did Seymour make a case?
Took his try well, tackled hard, dropped a kick that he would normally catch with his eyes shut. But he suffered from the same problem all of the Lions' back 3 have suffered from: nobody is creating space for them. Not enough organisation and not enough creativity.
er.....did you not watch the first 20 when his defence would have embarrassed my gran. He had a mare in the first half.
skidger

Post by skidger »

Banquo wrote:
Matt Ha wrote:
Mikey Brown wrote:Did Seymour make a case?
Took his try well, tackled hard, dropped a kick that he would normally catch with his eyes shut. But he suffered from the same problem all of the Lions' back 3 have suffered from: nobody is creating space for them. Not enough organisation and not enough creativity.
er.....did you not watch the first 20 when his defence would have embarrassed my gran. He had a mare in the first half.
It was a good game for Watson,North and Liam Williams.
Timbo

Post by Timbo »

As someone who only watches Super Rugby occasionally, the things that have impressed me from the Kiwi franchises this far; organisation, attacking and defending set piece, physicality, skills in the air, discipline...quite disappointing; handling skills under pressure and kick pass (used far to often and to little effect).

Not exactly what you'd expect.
Banquo

Post by Banquo »

Timbo wrote:As someone who only watches Super Rugby occasionally, the things that have impressed me from the Kiwi franchises this far; organisation, attacking and defending set piece, physicality, skills in the air, discipline...quite disappointing; handling skills under pressure and kick pass (used far to often and to little effect).

Not exactly what you'd expect.
Handling skills under pressure is a surprise; kick pass is a bit over used but you can see why they do it.
BBD
Site Admin

Post by BBD »

Missed the match this morning
I know the result

Is it worth watching?
ALunpg

Post by ALunpg »

BBD wrote:Missed the match this morning
I know the result

Is it worth watching?
Yes...some good performances..
Ex prop Ex coach still a Welshman and enjoying retirement
BBD
Site Admin

Post by BBD »

Thanks
morepork

Post by morepork »

hugh_woatmeigh wrote:Brilliant result for the Highlanders. Lions absolutely pathetic - in every game so far.

Why are you being such a little bitch?
Lizard

V Highlanders

Post by Lizard »

The kick pass is used a lot not because it is necessarily a scoring play every time, but because if it is obviously an option being considered all the time it forces the defence to be prepared for it and push out wide to begin with rather than only drifting out when the ball is passed to the wide channels. This makes a rush defence harder to deploy.

Post by fivepointer »

Thought the Highlanders kicked very smartly in attack. They actually kicked a great deal but usually with very clear intent and accuracy.
Lions again doing well at times, stringing some good play together but in 4 games they have hardly made a break. Losing 2 games from a winning position will disappoint them, as will making errors that turn the pressure back on them.
Banquo

Post by Banquo »

Lizard wrote:The kick pass is used a lot not because it is necessarily a scoring play every time, but because if it is obviously an option being considered all the time it forces the defence to be prepared for it and push out wide to begin with rather than only drifting out when the ball is passed to the wide channels. This makes a rush defence harder to deploy.
yep, as I said, they've been watching and learning. Execution was the issue really
Lizard

Post by Lizard »

I also wonder whether Shag has had a word to the Super Rugby coaches and asked them to send their sides out to play this sort of harum-scarum, low-percentage, headless chook rugby so they are not as prepared as they might be for a more disciplined All Blacks side?

Actually if Beauden, Jordie, Waisake etc are in the team it's going to be a circus anyway...
Spy

Post by Spy »

Lizard wrote:The kick pass is used a lot not because it is necessarily a scoring play every time, but because if it is obviously an option being considered all the time it forces the defence to be prepared for it and push out wide to begin with rather than only drifting out when the ball is passed to the wide channels. This makes a rush defence harder to deploy.
Agree. Equally, judicious use of grubbers/chips keeps a rush defence in 2 minds about whether they should wholeheartedly commit. It's a tactic that's easily overdone, but of great use against a fast flat line defence of the type that the Lions are operating. It was frustrating to see the Crusaders continually getting mowed down behind the gain line or booting aimlessly downfield without running any kick-through plays. A few shifty grubbers with a lucky bounce might have backed the Lions off a bit.

I enjoyed a lot about last nights game. but one thing in particular was Marty Banks effort. Always great to see a provincial stalwart produce the goods under pressure to tip over a fancied international team.
Lizard

V Highlanders

Post by Lizard »

I would much rather a team try a kick-pass than the good old Cruden-esque chip out of your own 22, or the mysteriously popular grubber kicked straight into the shin of a defender. Defensive bombs I don't mind purely for the potential comedy value.

Post by aotearoa »

Hugely frustrating that these useless buggers aren't playing Taranaki. Eh?
Doorzetbornandbred

Post by Doorzetbornandbred »

aotearoa wrote:Hugely frustrating that these useless buggers aren't playing Taranaki. Eh?
Is that you Bull?
Numbers

Post by Numbers »

Lizard wrote:I would much rather a team try a kick-pass than the good old Cruden-esque chip out of your own 22, or the mysteriously popular grubber kicked straight into the shin of a defender. Defensive bombs I don't mind purely for the potential comedy value.
Dunno, the Highlanders had more success with the grubber than the cross kick, which was pretty ineffective throughout the match. The grubber is much easier to block though obviously.
Eugene Wrayburn

Post by Eugene Wrayburn »

We weren't bad at all. Though we still lost to a provincial side shorn off its internationals. I thought Sopoaga was strangely out of sorts and if the Highlanders had stayed with Banks we'd have had much more of an issue.

I don't know that there's a single player from that Lions side that is now be looking at for the Test side apart from Warburton and Best. Best hasn't been less accurate than anyone else at the line out and is invaluable to our breakdown effort. I suspect he's a stronger scrummager than the other 2 as well. It's unlikely though that there will be an Irish lock in the game so there's an argument for leaving him out.
I refuse to have a battle of wits with an unarmed person.

NS. Gone but not forgotten.
Numbers

Post by Numbers »

Eugene Wrayburn wrote:We weren't bad at all. Though we still lost to a provincial side shorn off its internationals. I thought Sopoaga was strangely out of sorts and if the Highlanders had stayed with Banks we'd have had much more of an issue.

I don't know that there's a single player from that Lions side that is now be looking at for the Test side apart from Warburton and Best. Best hasn't been less accurate than anyone else at the line out and is invaluable to our breakdown effort. I suspect he's a stronger scrummager than the other 2 as well. It's unlikely though that there will be an Irish lock in the game so there's an argument for leaving him out.
I would imagine that McGrath will be on the bench for the tests at worst, also Sinckler, Rory Best won't be in the test mix as far as I can see as all he has really done is cement his reputation for choking on the throw, Stander has a decent chance of making the bench.
Stom

Post by Stom »

Numbers wrote:
Eugene Wrayburn wrote:We weren't bad at all. Though we still lost to a provincial side shorn off its internationals. I thought Sopoaga was strangely out of sorts and if the Highlanders had stayed with Banks we'd have had much more of an issue.

I would imagine that McGrath will be on the bench for the tests at worst, also Sinckler, Rory Best won't be in the test mix as far as I can see as all he has really done is cement his reputation for choking on the throw, Stander has a decent chance of making the bench.
I think it's quite even between the bench loosies. And I thought Stander did his chances no favours. In fact, I'd suggest we're more likely to see one of Tipuric or SOB in the 20 shirt.

I also think (hope) that 13 is still up for grabs, with Joseph hopefully getting a fair crack of the whip.
cashead

Post by cashead »

It's not really that big a surprise. He has Aaron Smith feeding him excellent ball, and he has Ben Smith outside him as a second receiver half the time. It's not meant to be a knock on the guy at all, but having the Smiths around definitely elevates him.
I'm a god
How can you kill a god?
Shame on you, sweet Nerevar
Numbers

Post by Numbers »

Stom wrote:
Numbers wrote:

I think it's quite even between the bench loosies. And I thought Stander did his chances no favours. In fact, I'd suggest we're more likely to see one of Tipuric or SOB in the 20 shirt.

I also think (hope) that 13 is still up for grabs, with Joseph hopefully getting a fair crack of the whip.
I'd have SOB at 6 as it stands currently.
Stom

Post by Stom »

Numbers wrote:
Stom wrote:
Numbers wrote:

Tempting, but I'd worry about balance in that backrow against NZ. SOB can be a great player to have, but he's not a POM, Robshaw, etc...
Eugene Wrayburn

Stom wrote:
Numbers wrote:
Stom wrote:

Tempting, but I'd worry about balance in that backrow against NZ. SOB can be a great player to have, but he's not a POM, Robshaw, etc...
What is it you think he does less well than Robshaw?

Eugene Wrayburn

Stom wrote:
Numbers wrote:

A fair crack of the app doesn't currently see JJ start. I'd currently have him behind JD2 and I'm no fan of his and very much a fan of JJ. Given I'd be starting Henshaw at 12 I'd pick Payne at 13 for the Maori if he's fit but it seems to me he isn't, or failing that Daly.