France vs ABs

Home of our Rugby World Cup Discussions.
Official France 2023 website here: https://www.rugbyworldcup.com/2023

Moderator: Puja

UKHamlet
Site Admin

Re: France vs ABs

Post by UKHamlet »

Hmmm. I thought that was a great test match. The pressure France applied told in the end, but NZ showed great character.
Puja

Post by Puja »

Donny osmond wrote: Fri Sep 08, 2023 10:09 pm NZ fell away for some reason and France took advantage, well played. Hope that momentum lasts and lasts and lasts, I really hope France win this whole thing.
If England can't win (and let's face it, they can't), I'd love France to win it. Would be great for the sport to have a new champion.

Puja
Backist Monk
morepork

Post by morepork »

Damn all your eyes RR people, all your eyes.

Why oh why did we revert to kick and hope?
tigran

Post by tigran »

Nice one Puja

Very nervous till Penaud's try, I think the ref really helped NZ on occasions, and our tv director should have pointed it... we should do like others..

Now they have done the most important thing, winning their first game against a revenge thirst black side, that result will free them and Danty, Baille, maybe Jelonch are goind to come back hopefully..

Jalibert did more than ok, he has been brilliant I think, Aldritt immense, the blacks have been dangerous almost all game, but it wasn't to be for them
Danno

Post by Danno »

morepork wrote: Fri Sep 08, 2023 10:16 pm Damn all your eyes RR people, all your eyes.

T-E-R-R-IT-O-R-Y.

it's the new crash 12/Lomu/15 playmaker/1-3-3-1/spiral bomb/test match animal
Danno

Post by Danno »

Aldritt is nuts. He had a carry in the first half that would have scared me if I was 3 metres tall and made of reinforced concrete
Puja

Post by Puja »

tigran wrote: Fri Sep 08, 2023 10:21 pm Nice one Puja

Very nervous till Penaud's try, I think the ref really helped NZ on occasions, and our tv director should have pointed it... we should do like others..
Your directors are infamous for it, to the extent that I was slightly worried about a RWC in France - they seemed to've gone completely missing today though.

Puja
Backist Monk
switchskier

Post by switchskier »

Tough job well done in the end by the French. Their coaches earned their wage at half time and they really turned up in the second half. Defence weirdly narrow at times though.

NZ did some good things but felt they were quite passive in the second half. They ceeded the ruck area to the French. Maybe Cane was a bigger miss than expected.
16th man

Post by 16th man »

France were at 80%ish, looking to Dupont far too much at points.

ABs need to find something up front, otherwise Ireland and the Boks are munching them up front.

Once the "chuck it to Tellea" move started to get shut down, New Zealand ran out of ideas.
16th man

Post by 16th man »

switchskier wrote: Fri Sep 08, 2023 10:28 pm
NZ did some good things but felt they were quite passive in the second half. They ceeded the ruck area to the French. Maybe Cane was a bigger miss than expected.
The French were on top up front throughout, and second half they managed to shut down the fling it wide escape route the ABs had in the first half.

Not sure the ABs were passive, versus just not having the fire power up front.
francoisfou

Post by francoisfou »

Very satisfactory win! NZ looked very sharp at times but errors were excessive and were punished, but they’ll learn from this defeat and come back stronger.
BaldiePete

Post by BaldiePete »

Puja wrote: Fri Sep 08, 2023 10:27 pm

Your directors are infamous for it, to the extent that I was slightly worried about a RWC in France - they seemed to've gone completely missing today though.

Puja
In the RWC control over the TV pictures might be controlled by World Rugby rather than a director from the host nation?
tigran

Post by tigran »

morepork wrote: Fri Sep 08, 2023 10:16 pm Damn all your eyes RR people, all your eyes.

It's not finished porkie
francoisfou

Post by francoisfou »

Oh, and wtf happened to La Marseillaise?
16th man

Post by 16th man »

francoisfou wrote: Fri Sep 08, 2023 10:41 pm Oh, and wtf happened to La Marseillaise?
As is the tradition with God save the queen, no one told the musical act hired to do it to go at the speed the crowd have learned to sing it at. So the kids choir were about half a bar ahead of the crowd.
tigran

Post by tigran »

francoisfou wrote: Fri Sep 08, 2023 10:41 pm Oh, and wtf happened to La Marseillaise?
I've said to myself during la marseillaise, that we had, at last found a way to screw things up...
tigran

Post by tigran »

BaldiePete wrote: Fri Sep 08, 2023 10:36 pm
Puja wrote: Fri Sep 08, 2023 10:27 pm

Puja
In the RWC control over the TV pictures might be controlled by World Rugby rather than a director from the host nation?
Don't know, but I've watched it on RTé and the pundits were astonished that the french tv didn't show the replays, especially the one of the "intercept" of Tellea preventing a french try.
Cameo

Post by Cameo »

Quite a few unforced errors from both sides but NZ really stressed France by keeping the pace up. Some of the backs looked dangerous and S Barrett was immense all night. The number of times he got a French back by his fingertips and held on was incredible.

Second half, France took control while also offloading and taking risks when it was on. Their kicking game is something else too - every player seems to have an extra ten metres compared to what you expect. NZ had spells of good kicking but persisted with the bombs far too long (and BB's kick to touch 8 points down with 5 mins to go was bizarre).

Plenty to improve on from both sides but I think France will be happy while NZ will be concerned but not panicky. Ultimately, NZ need a lot to come off for them to beat France, Ireland or SA but they can do it, and they were missing half their starting pack as well as J Barret. A lot of power not there tonight.
Son of Mathonwy

Post by Son of Mathonwy »

Puja wrote: Fri Sep 08, 2023 8:27 pm
Lizard wrote: Fri Sep 08, 2023 8:24 pm Yep. You don’t want to over complicate anthems. Cost them a try.
Meanwhile, I'll swear that the Haka gets longer and more overwrought every year. I've seen shorter and less overwrought pauses for effect while watching Nic Berry call a scrum in.

Puja
They've got a nice carved stick though.
fivepointer

Post by fivepointer »

NZ a bit better than i expected but France got on top and probably had another 10% in reserve.

The anthems were horrendous.

The haka is now just simply ridiculous.
Croft_No.5

Post by Croft_No.5 »

Agree about the Haka. I expect that WR do control the TV and there has perhaps been an edict passed to no show anything controversial. Seemed that way, which isn't great for the armchair viewer. ITV should be banned from ever televising the rugby, mind numbingly dull coverage.
tigran

Post by tigran »

Yes apparently it wasn't the french tv directing it
wanderingjock

Post by wanderingjock »

fivepointer wrote: Sat Sep 09, 2023 8:43 am NZ a bit better than i expected but France got on top and probably had another 10% in reserve.

The anthems were horrendous.

The haka is now just simply ridiculous.
Haha. Yup on both points.