England v Pakistan in a Spot (fixing) of Cricket

Big D

Re: England v Pakistan in a Spot (fixing) of Cricket

Post by Big D »

Discreet Hooker wrote:Any thoughts on Finn being overlooked at long last ?
Quite right at the moment.

Wood is looking sharp and is another very good option.
Big D

Post by Big D »

Don't think they've made the correct decision recalling Finn.
Discreet Hooker

Post by Discreet Hooker »

Big D wrote:
Discreet Hooker wrote:Any thoughts on Finn being overlooked at long last ?
Quite right at the moment.

Wood is looking sharp and is another very good option.[/qu

Unless he get Five for , I'm still saying his ship has sailed . So much for strength in depth !
Discreet Hooker

Got three wickets today but Broad isn't the bowler he was two/three seasons ago . Lost a bit of fizz imo and keeps pitching short in this one .

Automatic choice I know but are there any serious contenders for an opening fast bowler ?
Stom

Post by Stom »

Discreet Hooker wrote:Got three wickets today but Broad isn't the bowler he was two/three seasons ago . Lost a bit of fizz imo and keeps pitching short in this one .

Automatic choice I know but are there any serious contenders for an opening fast bowler ?
Well Woakes... and Wood has been impressive on his comeback.
Discreet Hooker

Stom wrote:
Discreet Hooker wrote:Got three wickets today but Broad isn't the bowler he was two/three seasons ago . Lost a bit of fizz imo and keeps pitching short in this one .

Well Woakes... and Wood has been impressive on his comeback.

Point taken Stom , just wondered if there were any potentials in the county game ? Must admit apart from the odd look up I don't follow county cricket . Be nice to have a couple of 20 year olds about whilst Anderson is still able to pass on his skills .

Meanwhile, back to the cricket , just shows that England batsmen got themselves out in the 1st innings . Only good thing is that Pakistan will be batting on a worn wicket 2nd innings .
Digby

Post by Digby »

Broad often pitches short when he'd told to. Even though he prefers pitching it up he's frequently an enforcer looking to push the batsmen more onto the back foot, and build that rhythm for the team. If Finn were at his best and Stokes were in the team we'd likely see Broad pitching it up more.

Not altogether sure why Pakistan didn't try out some short stuff earlier. I don't want to be too critical as the opening session was great test cricket with both sides testing the patience of the other side, and to a large degree I commend Pakistan who tend to bowl too much at the stumps and over attack. However once a batsman, in this case Root, is in trouble with his back and perhaps can't duck surely that's a moment to say lets try him out and see if he'll try to sway or play his way out of trouble even if that went against plans laid out in the changing rooms. Especially nasty with it being left arm over.
Discreet Hooker

Fair play to England , runs to play with and weather permitting , perhaps a result today !
Digby

Post by Digby »

That's an excellent win from England. And there was some nice bowling in there, especially good to see from Finn. Pakistan are going to be gutted at losing 5 wickets for 30 odd runs at the top of the innings, the draw was on, and then it wasn't
Discreet Hooker

Wtf keeps happening with Vince & Ballance . Surely their places are still up for grabs ! :oops:
Digby

Post by Digby »

Discreet Hooker wrote:Wtf keeps happening with Vince & Ballance . Surely their places are still up for grabs ! :oops:
Not as bad yesterday as Cook, Root and Hales. It was a touch murky but the pitch was fine to bat on, and we just had miserable shot selection as the batting unit failed yet again.
WaspInWales

Post by WaspInWales »

3 dropped catches so far this morning. We're determined to do this the hard way.
Digby

Post by Digby »

Three drops today from England, a caught and bowled chance shelled by Finn and in fairness those can always be hard with the body weight going the wrong way, a tough(ish) chance put down going wide of Anderson at 3rd slip, and a sitter by Hales at 5th slip. Interesting to see Anderson in the slips, he's an outstanding fielder, perhaps even the best of ever from the fast bowling brigade, but when he was tried in the slips before by England he dropped too many chances, I can see why fast bowlers like slip fielding but he was a renowned dropper of catches by the England dressing room especially when he'd been bowling
Discreet Hooker

Interesting comments from Boycs on TMS .Current England slips very average atm. Mentioned Trescothick , Strauss even Swann as top class catchers and harped back to Phil Sharp in his England/Yorkshire days ' when the pitch is as flat as a witches tit then catches win matches .
Digby

Post by Digby »

Discreet Hooker wrote:Interesting comments from Boycs on TMS .Current England slips very average atm. Mentioned Trescothick , Strauss even Swann as top class catchers and harped back to Phil Sharp in his England/Yorkshire days ' when the pitch is as flat as a witches tit then catches win matches .
Strauss was decent, top class might be a push, Trescothick and Swann both a little better than Strauss. Collingwood was outstanding, but they also want him elsewhere. Hick was brilliant, but sadly didn't deliver as a batsmen, not enough anyway. And going back really as far as I remember then Botham was also an outstanding slip fielder, and stood very close too.
Discreet Hooker

Yup, Botham used to stand a full pace in front of the other slips and crouch with his hands on his thighs . Eyes and reactions like a shitehouse rat . Steve Waugh is always mentioned amongst the best slips , shame he was an arse .
Used to love watching Jonty Rhodes usually in the gully . Plasters on his plasters but fielded like Peter Shilton . David Gower was a very underrated fielder as was Derek Randall .

I remember once however , Randall was fielding near the boundary at Edgbaston, when a struck ball went thru' his legs and out for a four . He immediately took his cap off (yes they did wear them ) put it on a young schoolboy , placed the boy on the boundary rope and sat in the crowd .
Digby

Post by Digby »

Mark Waugh more than Steve
Digby

Post by Digby »

This one is rather getting away from England, and come the bowling we see once more the downside of having Ali in the team
WaspInWales

Post by WaspInWales »

It'll take something special to save this test.
WaspInWales

Post by WaspInWales »

May have trouble seeing out the day!
skidger

Post by skidger »

England could be decent when they find replacements for Ballance and Hales. I suppose Vince should be given a little longer but he is not exactly nailing his spot.
fivepointer

Post by fivepointer »

Frustrating how we go from one of our best recent performances last time out to a pretty abject effort this time. When this team finds some real consistency we can think about moving up the rankings.

Major issues in the top 5 have to be resolved. Cannot see Vince being retained.
skidger

Post by skidger »

Where we would be without the late runs from Bairstow,Moeen and Woakes. Asking a bit much but even if we could set them an awkward 180 to get on a fifth day pitch.......
Big D

Post by Big D »

skidger wrote:England could be decent when they find replacements for Ballance and Hales. I suppose Vince should be given a little longer but he is not exactly nailing his spot.
I can't see any reason why Vince isn't the 1st one to be dropped. Vince has had all summer and scored 212 runs @ 19.25 per innings be retained ahead of Balance who scored 195 in 4 tests @27.85 and Hales who scored 437 @ 30 odd in the same number of tests.

Hales, Ballance and Vince are all on shoogly pegs but Vince has to be the 1st to go. Hales and Ballance have at least shown they can occasionally do ok. Vince hasn't over a similar sample size to Hales.

The obvious thing to do, which I think they will is to drop Vince or Ballance for a spinner and move everyone up one for the winter tour.
Digby

Post by Digby »

England on the rampage. This is a hell of a batting wicket mind, so if Pakistan stay calm they can still win.

26 off the latest over with Butler getting 6 happy