6N squad - starting team

Moderator: OptimisticJock

Cameo

Re: 6N squad - starting team

Post by Cameo »

Mikey Brown wrote: Tue Feb 28, 2023 10:41 am Just watched the highlights back, seeing Taofifinua holding onto Jonny Gray from the previous phase exactly where Fickou then runs to score his try is painful. I know it's meaningless and happens dozens of times in a game, but I still can't believe we came away from that with nothing.
The one the I keep replaying is the lineout on halfway. The chances are we wouldn't have scored but we'd have given it a good go (and not conceded the final try).

I know it wasn't all Brown's fault but for me there is still a decision to be made about that reserve hooker spot. Brown is the guy I would want if we are defending our line and looking for a big hit or a turnover. I'd prefer Cherry or Ashman (Malcolm?) if we have a crucial lineout. I had hoped McInally was getting a run of games and might have a late career surge, but that doesn't seem to have happened.
Mikey Brown

Post by Mikey Brown »

Which hooker do we honestly trust at lineout time though? Turner’s security at the lineout so far has been a pretty welcome surprise to me. I wonder how much of a difference Richie Gray is making though.
BaldiePete

Post by BaldiePete »

Turner can blow hot and cold. He had a nightmare against Ireland in 2021 (25% and some of those might have been Cherry when he came on) but he’s definitely been better since then. Richie Gray is so good at the lineout I’m sure he makes a massive difference. I’ve no data to back this up but my feeling is our lineout has definitely improved since he returned.
Cameo

Post by Cameo »

Yeah, don't fully trust Turner and that might come back to bite us, but think he offers enough elsewhere to make him comfortable first choice at the moment.

My hunch is that Cherry is the best thrower (not seen enough of Ashman) but is that enough. It just feels that for all his strengths, Brown has made a few key mistakes down the years coming on late on (thinking Aussie world cup game, penalty against England in that crazy draw, and Saturday). Does the pressure to make an impact get to him.

Not saying he isn't still our best option on the bench - just a worry.
septic 9

Post by septic 9 »

just to be very clear, it was not a Brown overthrow. It was a poorly timed jump.
Cameo

Post by Cameo »

septic 9 wrote: Thu Mar 02, 2023 12:34 pm just to be very clear, it was not a Brown overthrow. It was a poorly timed jump.
My impression was that it was both
Croft_No.5

Post by Croft_No.5 »

Would say it was one or the other. It was definitely rushed which it didn't need to be. Different players expecting different outcomes from the same paly
Cameo

Post by Cameo »

Yeah, it did look rushed. The kind of lineout I have been part of when the subs come on who've not had many run throughs!

Anyway, fingers crossed for no injuries this weekend. I presume no news is good news re Jones
septic 9

Post by septic 9 »

Gilchrist ban finally announced. No surprise, 6wks reduced to 3 (no previous ever, admitted guilt etc) and will get another week off for attending tackle school. Fine.

BUT Edin v Leinster did not count so he misses next 2 Scotland games. He wouldn't have played its true, but he was suspended from his sending off pending the hearing. Had Edin known it wouldn't count then maybe they would have picked him, except they couldn't because he was suspended until after his hearing/outcome

Funny this sort of ruling did not apply to Farrell pre Calcutta Cup, or a few seasons back to Healey who the IRFU convinced the 6N committee that a Leinster 2nds match (might have been AIL) mid 6N was worthy of being counted.
Cameo

Post by Cameo »

septic 9 wrote: Mon Mar 06, 2023 1:14 pm Gilchrist ban finally announced. No surprise, 6wks reduced to 3 (no previous ever, admitted guilt etc) and will get another week off for attending tackle school. Fine.

BUT Edin v Leinster did not count so he misses next 2 Scotland games. He wouldn't have played its true, but he was suspended from his sending off pending the hearing. Had Edin known it wouldn't count then maybe they would have picked him, except they couldn't because he was suspended until after his hearing/outcome

Funny this sort of ruling did not apply to Farrell pre Calcutta Cup, or a few seasons back to Healey who the IRFU convinced the 6N committee that a Leinster 2nds match (might have been AIL) mid 6N was worthy of being counted.
It's a joke isn't it. I can see the logic either way, but how hard is it to be consistent!
Cameo

Post by Cameo »

Russell had to get strapped up but seems like he completed the game. Fingers crossed.
Mikey Brown

Post by Mikey Brown »

Darge, Cummings, McDowall, Berghan in.

Bayliss and Gilchrist out.

No idea that means anything RE potential injuries (glad not to see a flyhalf called up) but it seems kind of late in the week to be adding players for the sake of training numbers?
septic 9

Post by septic 9 »

Mikey Brown wrote: Tue Mar 07, 2023 3:23 pm Darge, Cummings, McDowall, Berghan in.

Bayliss and Gilchrist out.

No idea that means anything RE potential injuries (glad not to see a flyhalf called up) but it seems kind of late in the week to be adding players for the sake of training numbers?
Maybe a bit late but possibly more than one thing at play.
Darge and Cummings I get. Key players for us, not unusual for a national coach to bring them in to assess where they are for himself.
McDowell less obvious unless someone is carrying a knock - I will.say though that he is playing outstandingly well. Huw Jones needs to keep his form up or lose his Glasgow spot again!
Also Bergan - again unless there is an injury or Sebastian was only in to allow Bergan to play for Glasgow
Mikey Brown

Post by Mikey Brown »

Yeah Jones was limping a bit wasn’t he so I’d also worried McDowall was for that.

Good to hear he’s come on as he seemed to stall a bit. Has he settled at 13 now or is that just to pair with Johnson?
Scottish Caley Fan

Post by Scottish Caley Fan »

It's good to see Mr Russell still in the squad because I was worried when seeing Tweets say he was all bandaged up for Toulouse game but hopefully that was just precautionary as we desperately need him fit and firing.

I'm also hoping Huw is fit as we could do with him on Sunday, I'd even have him out for Italy instead if it meant he was fit and got the 80 on Sunday.

That's how crucial these 2 players are on Sunday imho.
septic 9

Post by septic 9 »

Mikey Brown wrote: Tue Mar 07, 2023 7:48 pm Yeah Jones was limping a bit wasn’t he so I’d also worried McDowall was for that.

Good to hear he’s come on as he seemed to stall a bit. Has he settled at 13 now or is that just to pair with Johnson?
Another who was was frozen out by Rennie. Difficult to say if he is playing 13 of necessity or coach's preference - Glasgow are not overloaded with centres (or back 3 players). Johnson is purely a 12, Tuipolotu had been playing 13 for Warriors but obv 12 for Scotland, Jones has played 12 but is a 13 (or 15), Steyn a very good 13 at club level but needed on the wing. And McDowell. So only Johnson and McDowell have been available really for Glasgow.

Anyway, he is fitting in really well at 13, and I'd have no qualms about him replacing Jones if he was injured - the alternative is Redpath or Johnson at 12 and Tuiplotu to 13 - I really wouldn't want to move the latter from 12. Plus the idea of McDowell running at pace on to some Russell passes is quite exciting
General Zod

Post by General Zod »

I’d also be happy with McDowall on the bench. Potential World Cup bolter.
Cameo

Post by Cameo »

General Zod wrote: Thu Mar 09, 2023 8:48 am I’d also be happy with McDowall on the bench. Potential World Cup bolter.
That would certainly give Ireland more to think about than Harris on the bench. I like it - but suspect we won't see it.
Mikey Brown

Post by Mikey Brown »

No Redpath named for Bath this weekend, so would really hope to see him instead of Harris anyway. Either way a 12 on the bench makes more sense with Tuipulotu and Steyn in the side.

I hope Kinghorn gets a start though.
Donny osmond

Post by Donny osmond »

Anyone else getting ever so slightly concerned about the way we're getting talked up for this one? Ireland are world no 1 by a distance, and should be heavy favourites. Not to say we can't win, but I feel like I can see this one far enough; a huge amount of honest endeavour, some moments of real quality, but all essentially, more or less absorbed by Ireland who then control the ball for 60 minutes in the middle of the game and kill our chances.
Cameo

Post by Cameo »

I agree that's the most likely outcome and if I was an Irish fan I would be thinking of this as a stiff test but no more than the England game the following weekend.

However, whereas in the last few years I've felt we have a chance if everything goes right, this year I think we have a bit more resilience about us and might be able to deal better with the periods where Ireland dominate. Part of that is having a sharper attack back, but I also feel the mentality is stronger this year.

The Irish relentlessness once they get in their patterns is scary though. We really need something to disrupt it, whether that is some turnovers early on, the ref pinging some of their holding and blocking round the rucks, or us trying something different like flying someone up as a shooter to get in their passing lanes in all the intricate moves they do among their pods. Italy got an intercept try, but there is always the danger that (especially with Sexton) they read it perfectly, choose the right option and find the space where the shooter would otherwise have been. Trust you systems or do something bespoke?
Cameo

Post by Cameo »

Oh and I wouldn't worry about people talking our chances up. The bits I've heard have been fairly realistic but there'll always be people talking nonsense out there.
Mikey Brown

Post by Mikey Brown »

Yeah there’s just so media fluff now it’s impossible to avoid. There will be people who see things like Greig Laidlaw responding “yes of course we can win” and perceive that as arrogance or over-confidence, but there’s not much to be done about that.

Everyone knows Ireland are quality and are heavy favourites, but that doesn’t make as interesting a story. It’s almost boring how good/efficient they are. Though I agree if we can disrupt their shenanigans around the contact area that could go a long way.
septic 9

Post by septic 9 »

Cameo wrote: Fri Mar 10, 2023 12:01 am Oh and I wouldn't worry about people talking our chances up. The bits I've heard have been fairly realistic but there'll always be people talking nonsense out there.
most of the talking us up has been done by Irish media and pundits, in a sneering sort of way. So they can gloat and say see told you they were shit if Ireland win
Mikey Brown

Post by Mikey Brown »

septic 9 wrote: Fri Mar 10, 2023 10:37 am
Cameo wrote: Fri Mar 10, 2023 12:01 am Oh and I wouldn't worry about people talking our chances up. The bits I've heard have been fairly realistic but there'll always be people talking nonsense out there.
most of the talking us up has been done by Irish media and pundits, in a sneering sort of way. So they can gloat and say see told you they were shit if Ireland win
Yeah I really despise the “let’s put them back in their box” attitude you get from Ferris and a bunch of the Irish rugby media. I still don’t really understand where it comes from to be honest. Aside from Glasgow and Scotland occasionally playing as if they actually enjoy the game.