Own goals...

WaspInWales

Own goals...

Post by WaspInWales »

How are they decided?

I've seen a number of goals credited to own goals when under similar circumstances, the attacker gets awarded the goal.

What exactly are the requirements for an own goal to be awarded?
cymroo

Re: Own goals...

Post by cymroo »

isn't it whether the defender tried to make contact with the ball? for example if it deflects off a defender who wasn't even looking, the attacker gets the credit. but if the defender played at the ball (trying to block it or kick it out etc) and it goes in, that's an own goal.

not 100% sure on this btw.
belgarion

Post by belgarion »

If the ball would have been on target with or without any deflection by a defendar the goal is usually credited to the attacker, if it
was heading off target until the deflection it goes down as an own goal eg De gea's own goal against Sunderland was an own goal because
the ball would not have gone into the goal if it hadn't hit De Gea's arm as it was moving away from the goal at the time
Violence is the last refuge of the incompetent
Numbers

Post by Numbers »

cymroo wrote:isn't it whether the defender tried to make contact with the ball? for example if it deflects off a defender who wasn't even looking, the attacker gets the credit. but if the defender played at the ball (trying to block it or kick it out etc) and it goes in, that's an own goal.

No that's not it at all, this is how it is determined:

If the ball would not have gone in without the deflection (i.e. not on target) then it would be deemed an own goal, all shots that are deflected in, which were on target, are credited to the attacker.
WaspInWales

Post by WaspInWales »

Numbers wrote:
cymroo wrote:isn't it whether the defender tried to make contact with the ball? for example if it deflects off a defender who wasn't even looking, the attacker gets the credit. but if the defender played at the ball (trying to block it or kick it out etc) and it goes in, that's an own goal.

No that's not it at all, this is how it is determined:

If the ball would not have gone in without the deflection (i.e. not on target) then it would be deemed an own goal, all shots that are deflected in, which were on target, are credited to the attacker.
This is what I thought too but I've seen some dubious own goals credited of late. Can't think of any in particular but usually when watching motd or other highlights on YouTube, I've been left scratching my head how some own goals get awarded. The shot seems good and on target prior to the deflection but an own goal has been awarded.

I appreciate match officials may have access to a few more video angles that don't get broadcast so that may explain some others.