Cricket fred

WaspInWales

Cricket fred

Post by WaspInWales »

So, with the first test between Bangladesh and England finely poised with just the final days play left; the hosts need just 33 runs to secure a first ever test victory against England and the visitors need just 2 wickets for victory. Does this mean Bangladesh are finally beginning to be regarded as quality opposition, or not to do them any disservice, is it more down to the usual England collapse?

Either way, it's been a cracking test so far.
Last edited by WaspInWales on Sat Aug 17, 2019 4:59 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Digby

Re: Cicket fred

Post by Digby »

Bangladesh will be cross to have lost, no matter that's certainly a home pitch. England will be relieved to have won, though worried at their top order batting failure (again)

I do feel a bit for Shakib, scored 50 odd runs and took 7-130 or so only to lose. That's harsh, and they were pretty much all batsmen he was knocking over too. Still, it was a cracker of a game. At some point the authorities may concede the point that repeat scores of 550+ don't create as much interest
Big D

Post by Big D »

Did well to win in unfamiliar conditions without much warm up for the guys who play just tests.

Interesting selection quandaries for the next test. Apparently Duckett was picked ahead of Hameed as Hameed is too much like Cook. Well he could bat 4 in place in of Ballance. Alternatively Ansari can come in and give a left hand spinning option and bat at in the middle order. He only averages 30 in FC but that is better than they are getting from Ballance for now.
Discreet Hooker

Post by Discreet Hooker »

Did read that the wicket wouldn't have passed fit on any county ground . Still , same for both sides . All this money knocking about you'd think there be enough to ensure a worthwhile batting/bowling pitch . :oops:
WaspInWales

Post by WaspInWales »

Discreet Hooker wrote:Did read that the wicket wouldn't have passed fit on any county ground . Still , same for both sides . All this money knocking about you'd think there be enough to ensure a worthwhile batting/bowling pitch . :oops:
Made for an entertaining test though.
Digby

Post by Digby »

The pitch did spin a bit too much, both in spinning from the off, and that a lot of balls span too much to take an edge. But it was still much more fun than many county games. I suppose there is that if you put a county team onto that wicket they'd be out for 45 runs or so, but it doe highlight we tend to be a bit boring.
fivepointer

Post by fivepointer »

Enthralling match. 4 scores between 240-290 made for an interesting, closely fought test. That the wicket offered help to the bowlers is fine by me. Batsmen have things far too much their own way to my mind.

Our top order and spin bowling are concerns.
Stom

Post by Stom »

I'm starting to come round to the suggestion that Cook just doesn't know how to captain spin...Would be interesting to see what differences Root as captain would/will make.

I think Cook is allowed to be rusty. Two scores in the teens is ok for Duckett on an unfamiliar surface. A total of 10 runs for Ballance is par for the course (they need to pick someone else there desperately).

If they've selected Hameed, pick him. And they said there'd be changes. I reckon we could see Rashid or Batty making way for a quick, which isn't the right idea, imo.
Digby

Post by Digby »

Stom wrote:I'm starting to come round to the suggestion that Cook just doesn't know how to captain spin...Would be interesting to see what differences Root as captain would/will make.
Swann has said for years Cook has no idea about spin, but he also said on such basis Cook never tried to stop him setting the fields he wanted. It is more an issue if you've got less talented/confident/assertive spinners in the side than Swanny

Also worth noting England rarely have a spin coach, which means the spinners can have no one to talk to about how they're going to get a player out and what their fields might be. I doubt Swann would want that job, Mushy would be great but clearly does other stuff too, but they should have someone good for spinners to bounce ideas off
Stom

Post by Stom »

Digby wrote:
Stom wrote:I'm starting to come round to the suggestion that Cook just doesn't know how to captain spin...Would be interesting to see what differences Root as captain would/will make.
Swann has said for years Cook has no idea about spin, but he also said on such basis Cook never tried to stop him setting the fields he wanted. It is more an issue if you've got less talented/confident/assertive spinners in the side than Swanny

Also worth noting England rarely have a spin coach, which means the spinners can have no one to talk to about how they're going to get a player out and what their fields might be. I doubt Swann would want that job, Mushy would be great but clearly does other stuff too, but they should have someone good for spinners to bounce ideas off
I think that's what Batty is there for...

Interesting how Moeen and Batty were both far more effective than Rashid. I think he needs to do some growing up and quick, otherwise he's never going to become a test class spinner.

We do need some changes with spin in the CC, that's for sure. I'd love to see Mushy involved more, but Batty is at least a start.
Digby

Post by Digby »

After a promising start Bangladesh have rather fallen apart.

Also nice to see that after yet another failure from the top order batsmen we see changes in the selection of the bowlers, plus ca change (although Broad is probably being rested so he can earn his 100th cap in the more commercially rewarding India series)
WaspInWales

Post by WaspInWales »

Digby wrote:After a promising start Bangladesh have rather fallen apart.

Also nice to see that after yet another failure from the top order batsmen we see changes in the selection of the bowlers, plus ca change (although Broad is probably being rested so he can earn his 100th cap in the more commercially rewarding India series)
Shame about the collapse but I'm sure England will respond in kind.

Tough debut for Ansari but Ali, Finn and Stokes have some impressive numbers with the ball.
Digby

Post by Digby »

WaspInWales wrote:
Digby wrote:After a promising start Bangladesh have rather fallen apart.

Shame about the collapse but I'm sure England will respond in kind.

Tough debut for Ansari but Ali, Finn and Stokes have some impressive numbers with the ball.
Ali didn't even bowl many full tosses.
WaspInWales

Post by WaspInWales »

1 down already.

Sent from my SM-N920G using Tapatalk
Digby

Post by Digby »

Both openers gone. Looks like some more changes are needed in the bowling department.
WaspInWales

Post by WaspInWales »

42-3!
WaspInWales

Post by WaspInWales »

At least we made the follow on score.
Digby

Post by Digby »

Ever since Ballance was restored we've looked weaker.
Digby

Post by Digby »

I don't think we'd be upset if it rained or the umpires took them off for light, and just come back tomorrow
WaspInWales

Post by WaspInWales »

Digby wrote:I don't think we'd be upset if it rained or the umpires took them off for light, and just come back tomorrow
Good call.
Digby

Post by Digby »

Who knew that playing straight was a viable strategy in test cricket?
Digby

Post by Digby »

That's a harsh decision on Bangladesh, then again I don't have too much sympathy when you bowl that full
WaspInWales

Post by WaspInWales »

If it wasn't for their first innings collapse, this test would be over by now. I'm struggling to see how we can save this test now.

128 runs ahead and with 7 wickets remaining, Bangladesh have got their best chance (since last week) to beat us in a test.

They'd absolutely deserve it too.
Digby

Post by Digby »

They did of course collapse themselves in the 1st innings. Though chasing last will be hard, the new ball is brutal Vs the spinners with the bounce it's getting, and some deliveries from seamers are staying low, I've not seen anything spit for the seamers yet but the low bounce'll be enough

Once the ball softens you'll be able to play back more, but to mention a third time I don't know what you do then about the low bounce, maybe hope you get enough full tosses and half volleys that bounce isn't an issue
Lord Llandaff

Post by Lord Llandaff »

I didn't see that opening stand coming! Good to see Duckett get the important first 50 out of the way. Maybe Hales' decision to bottle out will help England in the longer term...