Boxing

Eugene Wrayburn

Boxing

Post by Eugene Wrayburn »

Joshua is going to fight for the World Championship next fight!
Anthony Joshua to fight Charles Martin for IBF title - http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/boxing/35570426
I refuse to have a battle of wits with an unarmed person.

NS. Gone but not forgotten.
Big D

Re: Boxing

Post by Big D »

Eugene Wrayburn wrote:Joshua is going to fight for the World Championship next fight!
Anthony Joshua to fight Charles Martin for IBF title - http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/boxing/35570426
Saw that. It is a step up but his opponent has similar questions about standard of opponent etc so he has a good chance here.

Home fight, in front of a no doubt electric atmosphere will be a big advantage. But he needs to conserve energy a bit better than the Whyte fight and not leave himself as open when throwing his punches.

In other news, Khan taking on Canelo is a business move really. Fighting Canelo on the Mexican holiday is a big money fight and he can lose, win a tune up match and then fight Brook whilst banking the cash!
Lizard

Post by Lizard »

I follow boxing peripherally at best. There's a New Zealand boxer, Joseph Parker, who is being touted as some sort of contender here. No doubt he's being over sold, but that's not the issue. According to a news report I read today, he is ranked 6th by the IBF or IBA or WBC or WTO or WTF or whichever of the dozen or so sanctioning bodies it is. But get this, whichever body it has apparently has a champion, but no one ranked 1 or 2. How does that work? Surely that just means no. 3 is no. 1?

Post by Big D »

Lizard wrote:I follow boxing peripherally at best. There's a New Zealand boxer, Joseph Parker, who is being touted as some sort of contender here. No doubt he's being over sold, but that's not the issue. According to a news report I read today, he is ranked 6th by the IBF or IBA or WBC or WTO or WTF or whichever of the dozen or so sanctioning bodies it is. But get this, whichever body it has apparently has a champion, but no one ranked 1 or 2. How does that work? Surely that just means no. 3 is no. 1?
Haven't seen much of him except youtube but Joseph Parker AFAIK is seen sort of similarly to Joshua, good prospect with a need to step up the quality of opposition. He has fought a few old guys which isn't a problem but he needs to start stepping up in class. I don't really see a name on his record that would justify being no.6 in the rankings (we said the same about Joshua last year). That is not to say he isn't that good, just his record doesn't show a win to merit it. Would have been good to see him fight someone like a Chisora on the undercard of the Joshua title fight to see if he is ready to move up towards the world level.

The reason the IBF won't have a No.1 is that I think there is no clear number 1 contender as Fury gave the belt up and Klitscho isn't ranked either in their ranking. Joshua is ranked 4 by the IBF but at least he put Whyte (who was reasonably thought of but probably a commonwealth title level fighter) to sleep.

Parker is ranked 1 and Joshua 2 by the WBO which is nonsense based on who they have beaten. But the rankings are generally a lottery and the promoters relationship with the organisation plays a role.
Big D

Post by Big D »

In other news apparently Chunky Degale (seen by some as the No.1 SMW now that Ward has moved up) will defend his belt v Molina on the Joshua undercard.

Rugby Rebels long time Wonderkid Callum Smith is due to fight the week before.
Lizard

Post by Lizard »

Big D wrote:
Lizard wrote:I follow boxing peripherally at best. There's a New Zealand boxer, Joseph Parker, who is being touted as some sort of contender here. No doubt he's being over sold, but that's not the issue. According to a news report I read today, he is ranked 6th by the IBF or IBA or WBC or WTO or WTF or whichever of the dozen or so sanctioning bodies it is. But get this, whichever body it has apparently has a champion, but no one ranked 1 or 2. How does that work? Surely that just means no. 3 is no. 1?
Haven't seen much of him except youtube but Joseph Parker AFAIK is seen sort of similarly to Joshua, good prospect with a need to step up the quality of opposition. He has fought a few old guys which isn't a problem but he needs to start stepping up in class. I don't really see a name on his record that would justify being no.6 in the rankings (we said the same about Joshua last year). That is not to say he isn't that good, just his record doesn't show a win to merit it. Would have been good to see him fight someone like a Chisora on the undercard of the Joshua title fight to see if he is ready to move up towards the world level.

The reason the IBF won't have a No.1 is that I think there is no clear number 1 contender as Fury gave the belt up and Klitscho isn't ranked either in their ranking. Joshua is ranked 4 by the IBF but at least he put Whyte (who was reasonably thought of but probably a commonwealth title level fighter) to sleep.

Parker is ranked 1 and Joshua 2 by the WBO which is nonsense based on who they have beaten. But the rankings are generally a lottery and the promoters relationship with the organisation plays a role.
So they just leave a gap where Fury and Klitscho would be if their promoters allowed them to be ranked?

As for Parker, yes he does need to step it up. I just hope his management have the knowledge and clout to get him the right fights. We don't get many world class boxers out of NZ (Heeney, Tua, erm...), and as for heavyweight champions - it's been a long time since Bob Fitzsimmons!

Post by Big D »

Lizard wrote: So they just leave a gap where Fury and Klitscho would be if their promoters allowed them to be ranked?

As for Parker, yes he does need to step it up. I just hope his management have the knowledge and clout to get him the right fights. We don't get many world class boxers out of NZ (Heeney, Tua, erm...), and as for heavyweight champions - it's been a long time since Bob Fitzsimmons!
Not really Liz, the promoters relationship plays apart in where fighters are ranked but the IBF case is different. Fury beat WK for the title and refused the mandatory challenger in favour of the contractually agreed rematch with WK. The IBF then stripped him and made a title fight between the mandatory challenger (I don't recall his name) and Charles Martin. As a result Fury appears to have been removed from the IBF rankings, but as there is no one who has "earned" the rank of 1 or 2 then I think the IBF leave it blank rather than promoting 3 to 1, 4 to 2 etc etc. They have done this in a few divisions so I think it is a quirk of the organisation.

As unfair as it is Parker will need to take the viewpoint of "have passport and gloves, will travel". No one (of the big fighters) will go to NZ fight him as it doesn't make financial sense to them so he needs to start trying to fight on undercards in the US or UK. If his promoters can't get him those types of opportunities then he may need to look at leaving them.
Lizard

Post by Lizard »

From what I've seen in the media, Parker's handlers believe the UK is the way to go these days. I think we are all realistic enough to know that a serious title fight will never be held here (as with the Olympics, Wendyball WC etc - we need to be content with the RWC every quarter of a century, an annual WRC round and the odd America's Cup now and then)
Eugene Wrayburn

Post by Eugene Wrayburn »

Lizard wrote:From what I've seen in the media, Parker's handlers believe the UK is the way to go these days. I think we are all realistic enough to know that a serious title fight will never be held here (as with the Olympics, Wendyball WC etc - we need to be content with the RWC every quarter of a century, an annual WRC round and the odd America's Cup now and then)
You could stick in a bid for the Empire Games. No one seems keen on hosting them any more.
I refuse to have a battle of wits with an unarmed person.

NS. Gone but not forgotten.
Lizard

Post by Lizard »

Eugene Wrayburn wrote: You could stick in a bid for the Empire Games. No one seems keen on hosting them any more.
Piss off. It's Wales's turn. Those cheap bastards haven't forked out for that particularly waste of time and money since the 1950s. We've done it twice since then. Even Scotland have chipped in 3 times since Wales bothered lifting a finger. Failing Wales, ping it back to the Aussies - they love it.*

*Actually, I've just checked and they are next up anyway!
Numbers

Post by Numbers »

The WBA have Gold and Silver versions of the belt that are in effect 2nd and 3rd ranked boxers in under that body, it's a bit of a joke really.
Big D

Post by Big D »

Numbers wrote:
The WBA have Gold and Silver versions of the belt that are in effect 2nd and 3rd ranked boxers in under that body, it's a bit of a joke really.
So they do. Totally forgot that.
Lizard

Post by Lizard »

This sort of sporting "grade inflation" really irritates me. How is gold second? It means first.

It started creeping into rugby in the late '80s or '90s when 2nd XVs at various levels stopped being called "B" teams and became "A" teams despite "A" meaning first.

We've now reached the ridiculous stage where our 2nd Division provincial competition* is called the "Championship" despite the winner not being a champion (i.e. the best) at all. That would be the winner of the so-called "Premiership" or 1st Division.

Even in the official website, the entire 2 division competition is referred to as "premier" and the winer of the "premiership" is referred to as a "champion" with the loser (i.e. definitely NOT a champion) being relegated to the "Championship."

http://www.itmcup.co.nz/Competition/Index/3747

And don't get me started on the Super Rugby mess.

It's nice to know that at least one sport is as f***ed in the head as NZ rugby is with this sort of stuff.

*ok, it's a bit more complex than straight divisions, but the principle holds

Post by twitchy »

Pacquiao and Fury should have a tv show together.
BigAl

Post by BigAl »

When Floyd Mayweather is taking the moral high ground you should be questioning your opinion on something
Numbers

Post by Numbers »

BigAl wrote:When Floyd Mayweather is taking the moral high ground you should be questioning your opinion on something
Did anything ever come of the alleged leg breaking incident with one of his former employees who he said had been stealing his gold?
Big D

Post by Big D »

Right, cocks on block time. Predictions for the weekends fight?

I like Frampton a lot but I can't help but think Quigg is a great value bet at 7/5. I think Quigg might sneak it.
Numbers

Post by Numbers »

Big D wrote:Right, cocks on block time. Predictions for the weekends fight?

I like Frampton a lot but I can't help but think Quigg is a great value bet at 7/5. I think Quigg might sneak it.
Judging purely on Quigg's last performance when he sparked MArtinez in 2 when Martinez took Frampton the distance, I would say Quigg.

I do like Frampton tho, this could be a belting fight.
Big D

Post by Big D »

Numbers wrote:
Big D wrote:Right, cocks on block time. Predictions for the weekends fight?

Judging purely on Quigg's last performance when he sparked MArtinez in 2 when Martinez took Frampton the distance, I would say Quigg.

I do like Frampton tho, this could be a belting fight.
Rumours are Frampton is very tight at the weight. Jonny Nelson was reporting that during the open training Frampton was working hard but not really sweating. Doesn't mean a lot necessarily but I have read a bit about weight cutting boxing/UFC/amateur wrestling and during any cut once a person stops sweating then there is potentially an issue.

They get weighed again on Saturday morning too.
bruce

Post by bruce »

Frampton for me.
Big D

Post by Big D »

It is going to be very close. Looking forward to it......
WaspInWales

Post by WaspInWales »

Frampton/Quigg or Quigg/Frampton. I'm not sure on what the correct naming protocol is....

but it's a bit shit so far.
WaspInWales

Post by WaspInWales »

Less pre-fight hype and more fight is what I say.

This is boxing's equivalent of this year's 6 Nations.
Last edited by WaspInWales on Sat Feb 27, 2016 11:34 pm, edited 1 time in total.
WaspInWales

Post by WaspInWales »

Almost forgot this was in Manchester till I heard the booing ringing out from the crowd.
WaspInWales

Post by WaspInWales »

Quigg looking a little more lively now.