Boxing

Mellsblue

Re: Boxing

Post by Mellsblue »

paddy no 11 wrote:Did ye him singin American pie in the press conference afterwards............I don't think he's capable of faking it really and have to say I like the fella

Not up to speed on his history really was he fairly reprehensible? always though he was more of an idiot, turning up to press conference in a bat suit etc.
Women belong in the kitchen and gays in prison/hell etc etc
paddy no 11

Post by paddy no 11 »

Cheers, fair enough, hopefully he continues to grow up
Digby

Post by Digby »

Starts to grow up, there being no suggestion he's commenced
WaspInWales

Post by WaspInWales »

Wilder's claims about the count seem a bit, well pathetic and perhaps desperate for want of better words.
Numbers

Post by Numbers »

WaspInWales wrote:Wilder's claims about the count seem a bit, well pathetic and perhaps desperate for want of better words.
I'm not sure counting is his forte.
Numbers

Post by Numbers »

This weekend sees Rocky Fielding take on Canelo at Super-middleweight in his first defence of his WBA regular title, the fight is on Sky in the early hours as it's taking place at Madison Square Garden, it'll be interesting to see how Canelo copes against a bigger fighter, Fielding has a decent reach advantage but I suspect Canelo will find a way to win this one, perhaps some dodgy judges.

Daniel Dubois is fighting again, this time he faces a decent Romanian in Razvan Cojanu, Cojanu has been stopped twice but has taken Joseph Parker the distance in 2017, I expect Dubois to spark him within 5 rounds mind you.
Galfon

Post by Galfon »

Oh dear..
https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/boxing/46724047
hardly surprising when a kick-boxer is not allowed to kick.
WaspInWales

Post by WaspInWales »

What a joke.

$9m for that?!?
Big D

Post by Big D »

Numbers wrote:This weekend sees Rocky Fielding take on Canelo at Super-middleweight in his first defence of his WBA regular title, the fight is on Sky in the early hours as it's taking place at Madison Square Garden, it'll be interesting to see how Canelo copes against a bigger fighter, Fielding has a decent reach advantage but I suspect Canelo will find a way to win this one, perhaps some dodgy judges.

Daniel Dubois is fighting again, this time he faces a decent Romanian in Razvan Cojanu, Cojanu has been stopped twice but has taken Joseph Parker the distance in 2017, I expect Dubois to spark him within 5 rounds mind you.
Fielding was "just" a minor champ. The real WBA belt belongs to our boy.

I suspect that Canelo saw Fielding as what he is, very good European level fighter that can do well on the world level but way off the elite guys and an easier step to a belt than Ramirez or Smith.
Numbers

Post by Numbers »

Big D wrote:
Numbers wrote:This weekend sees Rocky Fielding take on Canelo at Super-middleweight in his first defence of his WBA regular title, the fight is on Sky in the early hours as it's taking place at Madison Square Garden, it'll be interesting to see how Canelo copes against a bigger fighter, Fielding has a decent reach advantage but I suspect Canelo will find a way to win this one, perhaps some dodgy judges.

I suspect that Canelo saw Fielding as what he is, very good European level fighter that can do well on the world level but way off the elite guys and an easier step to a belt than Ramirez or Smith.
Apparently Canelo wants Smith next, that could be interesting, Smith is huge at SMW.
Big D

Post by Big D »

Numbers wrote:
Big D wrote:

Apparently Canelo wants Smith next, that could be interesting, Smith is huge at SMW.
If I were Smith I'd make him wait. It is too high a risk for too little reward IMO. I'd try and get a couple of defences in/unify the other belts 1st.

I see DeGale and Junior are fighting. Should be a loser is finished fight.
Numbers

Post by Numbers »

Big D wrote:
Numbers wrote:
Big D wrote:

If I were Smith I'd make him wait. It is too high a risk for too little reward IMO. I'd try and get a couple of defences in/unify the other belts 1st.

I see DeGale and Junior are fighting. Should be a loser is finished fight.
I'd fancy DeGale to take that one.
Numbers

Post by Numbers »

George Groves has retired then, it's nice to see a boxer retire at the right time for change, he's achieved all he's likely to, good luck to him, the DeGale fight was a classic and the two Froch fights were entertaining too.
Numbers

Post by Numbers »

This weekend sees one of the most eagerly anticipated fights of recent times, Errol Spence Jr takes on Mikey Garcia, the fight is being shown free to air on ITV4 at 2a.m. Sunday morning.
Eliashberg

Post by Eliashberg »

Numbers wrote:This weekend sees one of the most eagerly anticipated fights of recent times, Errol Spence Jr takes on Mikey Garcia, the fight is being shown free to air on ITV4 at 2a.m. Sunday morning.
One hell of a fighter.
Numbers

Post by Numbers »

Eliashberg wrote:
Numbers wrote:This weekend sees one of the most eagerly anticipated fights of recent times, Errol Spence Jr takes on Mikey Garcia, the fight is being shown free to air on ITV4 at 2a.m. Sunday morning.
One hell of a fighter.
Aye, top 5 P4P for me.

Some half decent fights coming up, Lomma is going to school Crolla next weekend and the first weekend of May sees Daniel Jacobs take on Canelo, to my mind Jacobs beat Golovkin when they fought whereas I had Golovkin winning the first Canelo fight and the second one about even, if that's anything to go by it should be a close contest.
Eliashberg

Post by Eliashberg »

Numbers wrote:
Eliashberg wrote:
One hell of a fighter.
Aye, top 5 P4P for me.

Some half decent fights coming up, Lomma is going to school Crolla next weekend and the first weekend of May sees Daniel Jacobs take on Canelo, to my mind Jacobs beat Golovkin when they fought whereas I had Golovkin winning the first Canelo fight and the second one about even, if that's anything to go by it should be a close contest.
I had Golovkin in the first, Canelo in the second. I didn't see Jacobs-Golovkin though. Wiki tells me Jacobs is quite a bit taller than Canelo, and taller than Golovkin. If Jacobs is skilled enough, that could be an issue for Canelo. Not impressed by Canelo's defense against the jab.
Numbers

Post by Numbers »

Eliashberg wrote:
Numbers wrote:
Eliashberg wrote:
One hell of a fighter.
Aye, top 5 P4P for me.

I had Golovkin in the first, Canelo in the second. I didn't see Jacobs-Golovkin though. Wiki tells me Jacobs is quite a bit taller than Canelo, and taller than Golovkin. If Jacobs is skilled enough, that could be an issue for Canelo. Not impressed by Canelo's defense against the jab.
Jacobs picked off Golovkin from the outside and made him miss, the judges seemed to like the fact Golovkin was the come forward fighter but didn't seem to notice that he wasn't really landing much, if the fight had been in the UK then Jacobs would have taken it by a couple of rounds on the scorecards.
Eliashberg

Post by Eliashberg »

Numbers wrote:
Eliashberg wrote:
Numbers wrote:
Aye, top 5 P4P for me.

Jacobs picked off Golovkin from the outside and made him miss, the judges seemed to like the fact Golovkin was the come forward fighter but didn't seem to notice that he wasn't really landing much, if the fight had been in the UK then Jacobs would have taken it by a couple of rounds on the scorecards.
Compubox says 105-31 on jabs for GGG, and 144-126 on power punches for Jacobs. I guess one can have the usual debate on how many jabs equal a power punch.
Numbers

Post by Numbers »

Eliashberg wrote:
Numbers wrote:
Eliashberg wrote:
Compubox says 105-31 on jabs for GGG, and 144-126 on power punches for Jacobs. I guess one can have the usual debate on how many jabs equal a power punch.
My eyes told me that Golovkin was mostly hitting gloves or glancing blows, have aa watch I'd be interested on your opinion:

paddy no 11

Post by paddy no 11 »

Miller fails for GW1516 but continues to train LOL
Numbers

Post by Numbers »

paddy no 11 wrote:Miller fails for GW1516 but continues to train LOL
and he's been replaced with a tub of lard Mexican...
Puja

Post by Puja »

This is the image the BBC are using for their article:

Joshua's opponent is not the one on the right.

This is going to be an utter joke. Apparently his style is that he likes coming forward, so he's not even going to be able to sit back behind his defence and hope to survive a couple of rounds.

The only way this one isn't going to end first round KO is if Joshua's under orders to play with his food to try and stretch the spectacle out a bit.

Puja
Backist Monk
Big D

Post by Big D »

1 close defeat to Parker but his record is pretty reasonable but a little devoid of "names".

Joshua should handle him fairly easily and he'll be keen to put on a show but at short notice and 6 weeks before the fight this is as good an opponent as they could reasonably find.
Numbers

Post by Numbers »

Big D wrote:1 close defeat to Parker but his record is pretty reasonable but a little devoid of "names".

Joshua should handle him fairly easily and he'll be keen to put on a show but at short notice and 6 weeks before the fight this is as good an opponent as they could reasonably find.
He's fought Zumbano and Kevin Johnson, won both fights on decision, Joshua knocked both of them out. However this is dressed up I can't think of anyone who is going to pay to watch.