Boxing

Big D

Re: Boxing

Post by Big D »

Good performance by Taylor. I thought he won by a couple.
Numbers

Post by Numbers »

Big D wrote:Good performance by Taylor. I thought he won by a couple.
Yep, I had him scraping it, Prograis looked very good early on but Taylor ground him down, fair play an excellent performance against a very good fighter, Selby looked good if slightly underpowered against Burns, tho Burns has a decent chin, Okolie wasn't good to watch, hit and hold. I'm not even going to pass judgement on Chisora v Price.
Numbers

Post by Numbers »

A good performance from Canelo on Saturday night, it was a very close fight until he KO'd Kovalev in the 11th quite brutally.
Puja

Post by Puja »

Just had a chance to watch Daniel Dubois's fight on Saturday. Such as it was anyway - utter domination of Kyotaro Fujimoto culminating in a comprehensive second round knockout.

It's impressive, not really for the destruction of his opponent (who is a middling quality heavyweight at the same sort of level as Fury's recent punching bags Otto Wallin and Tom Schwartz), but for the quality of his punches. Dubois has incredible power and the natural advantages of height and reach, and it would be incredibly easy for him to knock out journeymen by overpowering them, however he's developed both his technique and his ringcraft really well. Instead of going for the big wild slugging shots like he was last year, he opens Fujimoto up with a wicked piston jab that's one of the quicker ones I've seen (and which has enough power to cause the first knockdown on its own), and then picks his shots.

There's a moment where he has Fujimoto curled up on the ropes and he actually consciously backs off - recognising that he has the fight in the bag and that Fujimoto's turtling behind his gloves means no shot's going to get through and all he's doing is wasting energy. Last year, he would've kept punching and tried to power through the guard - his trainer's doing a bang up job with him.

Puja
Backist Monk
Galfon

Post by Galfon »

He's not always the clown in the ring (TF) - now at his peak after serious training and some massive pay-day options for him before he calls time.
Digby

Post by Digby »

Always nice to see things come right for racist homophobes
Puja

Post by Puja »

Just watched Dubois's comeback after lockdown. Complete non-event - the original fighter wouldn't have been too much of a challenge and the late replacement just got utterly brutalised into submission. Don't even know if he lasted long enough for Dubois to get the cobwebs off.

I am very interested to see the October meeting of Dubois vs Joyce though. I think Dubois has everything he needs to go all the way - he's always had a jab and was infamous for his overhand right, but the demolition of Snijders tonight was done solely with punishing body shots, which is a very useful tool to have in his armoury. I want to see him against an opponent who'll challenge him to see if that technique stands up at a higher level and I think Joyce will do that.

Puja
Backist Monk
Numbers

Post by Numbers »

Puja wrote:Just watched Dubois's comeback after lockdown. Complete non-event - the original fighter wouldn't have been too much of a challenge and the late replacement just got utterly brutalised into submission. Don't even know if he lasted long enough for Dubois to get the cobwebs off.

I am very interested to see the October meeting of Dubois vs Joyce though. I think Dubois has everything he needs to go all the way - he's always had a jab and was infamous for his overhand right, but the demolition of Snijders tonight was done solely with punishing body shots, which is a very useful tool to have in his armoury. I want to see him against an opponent who'll challenge him to see if that technique stands up at a higher level and I think Joyce will do that.

Puja
Apparently his sister Caroline is tipped to be the next big thing in the women's game, I think most of his brothers box as well.
Puja

Post by Puja »

Massive disappointment from Dubois tonight. Joyce had peppered his left eye with jabs, causing it to shut and Dubois took a fairly innocuous shot, stepped back, took a knee and then stayed down while he was counted out.

It was bizarre as much as anythng else - he was leading on the judge's scorecards and, while I've no doubt getting repeatedly hit on the eye hurt like f*ck, you can't just back out of a heavyweight boxing match! I can't see how he can have a professional career if his heart gives out like that against his first tough opponent.

Fair play to Joyce - he'd shown a great chin and excellent precise work with his jab to shut Dubois' eye and cause him that pain, but that's an embarrasing way for a billed big fight to end.

Puja
Backist Monk
Numbers

Post by Numbers »

Puja wrote:Massive disappointment from Dubois tonight. Joyce had peppered his left eye with jabs, causing it to shut and Dubois took a fairly innocuous shot, stepped back, took a knee and then stayed down while he was counted out.

It was bizarre as much as anythng else - he was leading on the judge's scorecards and, while I've no doubt getting repeatedly hit on the eye hurt like f*ck, you can't just back out of a heavyweight boxing match! I can't see how he can have a professional career if his heart gives out like that against his first tough opponent.

Fair play to Joyce - he'd shown a great chin and excellent precise work with his jab to shut Dubois' eye and cause him that pain, but that's an embarrasing way for a billed big fight to end.

Puja
Broken eye socket by all accounts, you can't fight on with that injury.
Puja

Post by Puja »

Numbers wrote:
Puja wrote:Massive disappointment from Dubois tonight. Joyce had peppered his left eye with jabs, causing it to shut and Dubois took a fairly innocuous shot, stepped back, took a knee and then stayed down while he was counted out.

Puja
Broken eye socket by all accounts, you can't fight on with that injury.
Yeah, I'll walk my statement back - I hadn't realised that he was that badly damaged.

Puja
Backist Monk
Numbers

Post by Numbers »

Errol Spence Junior is fighting Danny Garcia this weekend in what should be a good fight, Spence is in his first fight since he had the car crash last year so it will be interesting to see if he's still the same fighter, I suspect he'll win this one with a late stoppage.

The fight is on premier sports if you have a subscription to that.
Big D

Post by Big D »

Povetkin looked off tonight. But Whyte got the job done.
Puja

Post by Puja »

Interesting article on Andy Ruiz losing weight and getting fit for his comeback: https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/boxing/56927628

Looks to be a decent effort - wonder how he'll box at that weight.

Puja
Backist Monk
Big D

Post by Big D »

Puja wrote:Interesting article on Andy Ruiz losing weight and getting fit for his comeback: https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/boxing/56927628

Puja
He was hurt by Chris Arreola by all accounts which isn't a good sign.
Numbers

Post by Numbers »

Big D wrote:
Puja wrote:Interesting article on Andy Ruiz losing weight and getting fit for his comeback: https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/boxing/56927628

Puja
He was hurt by Chris Arreola by all accounts which isn't a good sign.
He was clinging on by the skin of his teeth for the first 3 rounds and was knocked down during that period, Arreola was not happy with the scorecards, the worst he could have lost by was 5 rounds as he was clearly 4 points up after the first 3 rounds with the knockdown round being 10-8, the judges had it 117-110 and tho other two by 118-109, a shitshow of scoring as usual, Arreola was understanderably upset, here's his post fight interview:

The sound is out of sync but you'll get the gist, SWEARING TAKES PLACE SO NSFW.

Here's the knockdown and the almost 2nd knockdown:

Big D

Post by Big D »

Odd fight really. Not often guys get knocked down with a jab.

Junior was coasting behind those three 10-8 rounds looking to pick up rounds by picking shots but Williams probably won rounds though volume. Not sure RJJ got his man's tactics right but judges think so.

Don't know what Williams was complaining around in the last round, you need to knock him out, go get him.
Big D

Post by Big D »

Two of the worst recent robberies in.boxinf judging has happened in favour of Scottish boxers.

Horrible decision. How did a judge have Taylor by 4 rounds (won by 3 but there was knockdown).

Taylor is done at that weight.
Numbers

Post by Numbers »

Big D wrote:Two of the worst recent robberies in.boxinf judging has happened in favour of Scottish boxers.

Horrible decision. How did a judge have Taylor by 4 rounds (won by 3 but there was knockdown).

Taylor is done at that weight.
Because he was Ian John Lewis, how this man is still involved in boxing is beyond belief, the BBBoC are looking into the scoring but don't have the power to overturn the result so I don't really see the point at all.

This shit puts me off boxing whereas the Khan v Brook fight was a great watch.
Big D

Post by Big D »

What a fight. Dramatic ending and hopefully Conlan is OK, it really didn't look good as there wasn't an obvious big shot that put him out.

Edit:

Other angle shows a decent shot.

I thought his corner should have been telling him to box more in the last 3 rounds.
Big D

Post by Big D »

Reffing like this really boils my piss.

Puja

Post by Puja »

Big D wrote:Reffing like this really boils my piss.

Jesus fuck. First, he sat there and watched him get utterly whaled on for 30-40 seconds without offering any kind of defence, held up solely by the elasticity of the ropes, then when he finally step in, he gives him a ten count and lets him carry on after the guy literally staggers into the corner post during the count. Utterly appalling refereeing - just an absence of his duty of care to the boxers. Could've killed him.

Puja
Backist Monk
Big D

Post by Big D »

Puja wrote:
Big D wrote:Reffing like this really boils my piss.

Jesus fuck. First, he sat there and watched him get utterly whaled on for 30-40 seconds without offering any kind of defence, held up solely by the elasticity of the ropes, then when he finally step in, he gives him a ten count and lets him carry on after the guy literally staggers into the corner post during the count. Utterly appalling refereeing - just an absence of his duty of care to the boxers. Could've killed him.

Puja
Genuinely disgraceful. His corner should have had the towel in too. I can't remember a doctor having to step in midround without the ref requesting it before.
Numbers

Post by Numbers »

Great result for Joe Cordina the other week, 2nd round KO to win the IBF Super Featherweight title, highlights here:

Big D

Post by Big D »

Numbers wrote:Great result for Joe Cordina the other week, 2nd round KO to win the IBF Super Featherweight title, highlights here:

Peach of a shot. I think he hurt him with a short left just before the clenched too.