Boxing

Digby

Re: Boxing

Post by Digby »

Numbers wrote:
Digby wrote:Why from round two or three was AJ bending so much at the knees?

To me that simply lessened his height advantage but it seemingly perturbed his opponent who then struggled to work to the inside. I'm presuming such plan must have been deliberate, but I don't have a grasp on what it technically altered nor why it swung momentum from the opening of the fight
He was getting caught on the counter whenever he threw his jab to the head, he then started jabbing to the body which would require bending, what he doesn't do if duck his head behind the jab to avoid the counter which is what is advisable.
Okay, so he works the body and stops making at easy for the other guy to move inside. There had to be a reason, too weird not to have been
Big D

Post by Big D »

Our boy did it!!

Been a long time coming! Great finish.
WaspInWales

Post by WaspInWales »

Numbers

Post by Numbers »

Big D wrote:Our boy did it!!

Been a long time coming! Great finish.
Aye, looking the business, he should unify this division now.
Numbers

Post by Numbers »

Another very good performance from Crawford on Saturday night, that lad is the business.

I'd like to see him fight Mikey Garcia, that could be a fight of the year.
Numbers

Post by Numbers »

This weekend sees Ryan burnett and Josh Taylor in action in their respective WBSS fights, Josh Taylor fights Ryan Martin, I haven't seen Martin fight but he is unbeaten, Burnett takes on Nonito Donnaire in what could well be an excellent contest, Donnaire has been up there in that division for some time.

All streamed on youtube on the WBSS channel, I haven't ever watched anything live on a youtube channel before so I have no idea whether or not this will be free.
Numbers

Post by Numbers »

A great win for Josh Taylor on Saturday, he'll give Prograis a run for his money should they meet in the final.

Ryan Burnett was very unlucky to suffer a back injury caused by over-extension off a missed punch, I don't think I've ever seen anyone have to retire due to that before and fair play to Adam Booth for pulling him out.
Big D

Post by Big D »

Numbers wrote:A great win for Josh Taylor on Saturday, he'll give Prograis a run for his money should they meet in the final.

Ryan Burnett was very unlucky to suffer a back injury caused by over-extension off a missed punch, I don't think I've ever seen anyone have to retire due to that before and fair play to Adam Booth for pulling him out.
Bugger forgot about these. Good to hear Taylor is living up to his potential.
Numbers

Post by Numbers »

Big D wrote:
Numbers wrote:A great win for Josh Taylor on Saturday, he'll give Prograis a run for his money should they meet in the final.

Here you go:

Big D

Post by Big D »

Numbers wrote:
Big D wrote:

Here you go:
Cheers for that. Taylor looked pretty impressive. Worked the body well. I think Martin froze a little, almost like he thought he'd carry more power at the weight.

World title shot next will be a big step.
Numbers

Post by Numbers »

Big D wrote:
Numbers wrote:
Big D wrote:
Here you go:
Cheers for that. Taylor looked pretty impressive. Worked the body well. I think Martin froze a little, almost like he thought he'd carry more power at the weight.

Yeah, Martin was like a rabbit in the headlights, Abel Sanchez was trying to get him to throw more but it seems his advice fell on deaf ears.

I'll be watching Tony Bellew get beaten tomorrow night, Joe Cordina is fighting Scotty Cardle on the undercard and Josh Kelly is fighting too.
Big D

Post by Big D »

Numbers wrote:
Big D wrote:
Numbers wrote:
Here you go:

Yeah, Martin was like a rabbit in the headlights, Abel Sanchez was trying to get him to throw more but it seems his advice fell on deaf ears.

I'll be watching Tony Bellew get beaten tomorrow night, Joe Cordina is fighting Scotty Cardle on the undercard and Josh Kelly is fighting too.
Bellew will lose, but I think the full range of outcomes from KO'd to losing a close points decision is possible. He is underrated IMO because he has a bit of a mouth but he can make things awkward tomorrow night. He has cut to make weight so he is taking this seriously rather than just a money making exercise. He should carry reasonable power.
Big D

Post by Big D »

Brave performance by Bellew who went out on his shield. Fair play to him.

As good as Usyk is I think if a heavyweight was able to catch him the way Bellew did he'd be in bother. He could give some HWs nightmares though.
Numbers

Post by Numbers »

Big D wrote:Brave performance by Bellew who went out on his shield. Fair play to him.

As good as Usyk is I think if a heavyweight was able to catch him the way Bellew did he'd be in bother. He could give some HWs nightmares though.
Agreed, Bellew did himself credit, Usyk is not a genuine Heavyweight.
Big D

Post by Big D »

I think there is a sensible debate that should happen regarding KO'd fighters being interviewed.
Rugby players in the concussion protocol wouldn't be interviewed and neither should combat fighters post KO (IMO).
Numbers

Post by Numbers »

Big D wrote:I think there is a sensible debate that should happen regarding KO'd fighters being interviewed.
Rugby players in the concussion protocol wouldn't be interviewed and neither should combat fighters post KO (IMO).
True enough, mind you Bellew's interview was better than his usual ones :)

It seems that this is quite common in boxing especially if it's a top of the bill fight
WaspInWales

Post by WaspInWales »

Anyone watch the greatest comeback ever?

I didn't, but have read reports that Fury was robbed and big questions over the 115-111 to Wilder.

So, what's the RR analysis of the fight?
Digby

Post by Digby »

Didn't watch don't care is my perhaps less than helpful analysis, why the sport granted the weirdo a licence is where I'd be stuck in the event I thought about it
Stom

Post by Stom »

Digby wrote:Didn't watch don't care is my perhaps less than helpful analysis, why the sport granted the weirdo a licence is where I'd be stuck in the event I thought about it
Whatever you think about him, he's been given a platform and he's been using that platform in a rather good way.

Plus every sport needs weirdos. Without them you get stale crap.
Numbers

Post by Numbers »

WaspInWales wrote:Anyone watch the greatest comeback ever?

I didn't, but have read reports that Fury was robbed and big questions over the 115-111 to Wilder.

I watched it and Fury clearly won the fight, Wilder proved that he can't actually box at all and is a one trick pony, albeit a very concussive trick.

I had Wilder winning one round other than the two knockdown rounds, Fury won everything else.
WaspInWales

Post by WaspInWales »

Numbers wrote:
WaspInWales wrote:Anyone watch the greatest comeback ever?

I watched it and Fury clearly won the fight, Wilder proved that he can't actually box at all and is a one trick pony, albeit a very concussive trick.

I had Wilder winning one round other than the two knockdown rounds, Fury won everything else.
Can't say I like Fury much, or at all, but it's a shame he was robbed.

It would be nice to see fairness in how all sports are adjudged and officiated.

Still, he should win the rematch and I may even tune in for it.
Mellsblue

Post by Mellsblue »

Stom wrote:
Digby wrote:Didn't watch don't care is my perhaps less than helpful analysis, why the sport granted the weirdo a licence is where I'd be stuck in the event I thought about it
Whatever you think about him, he's been given a platform and he's been using that platform in a rather good way.

Yep. I used to think he was an utter **** who spoutted some awful, medieval bollocks. But, fair play to him, he’s come back from an awful year or so a far better person. Kudos.
WaspInWales

Post by WaspInWales »

Mellsblue wrote:
Stom wrote:

Yep. I used to think he was an utter **** who spoutted some awful, medieval bollocks. But, fair play to him, he’s come back from an awful year or so a far better person. Kudos.
Was talking to the missus about this earlier. She wasn't really aware of the controversial comments he has made in the past and commented on how likeable he seemed on telly lately. It got me thinking whether he really has changed, or is just being more mindful of what he says to the media.

He does actually look happier these days though, so maybe he has reflected on things and come out of it a more positive person?
paddy no 11

Post by paddy no 11 »

Did ye him singin American pie in the press conference afterwards............I don't think he's capable of faking it really and have to say I like the fella

Not up to speed on his history really was he fairly reprehensible? always though he was more of an idiot, turning up to press conference in a bat suit etc.
Digby

Post by Digby »

Afterwards he claimed he was due credit for not having his pikey followers smash up the arena once the decision had annoyed them. As regards improvementsin behaviour it is I suppose better than some of his previous comments, but it's still easy to judge him harshly