The Cringe/Hate Thread

francoisfou

Re: The Cringe/Hate Thread

Post by francoisfou »

Galfon wrote:' So...' every response to a question has to begin with this wee conjunction, which may be just twendy, or a subtle tool to soften the question. Save ye'breff please. :|
That gets up my nose too! I was listening to BBC Sounds (as one does down here) and in an interview, each answer was, "So, ........."
Numbers

Post by Numbers »

Mikey Brown wrote:Well that makes sense. Sort of? I’m sure I saw a ‘top 10 clutch players’ video or something similar which had Farrell’s face on it. So I should have guessed that meant flawless under pressure.

It seems odd that something like the guardian would bother using and explaining a phrase that will have entirely disappeared in 6 months time.
It is an Americanism afaik, they use it in golf all the time regarding putts.
Mikey Brown

Post by Mikey Brown »

CYBER MONDAY!!!!!

Get £3 off this £60 t-shirt because it's cyber Monday!
morepork

Post by morepork »

Mikey Brown wrote:CYBER MONDAY!!!!!

What the shit is cyber Monday?
Mikey Brown

Post by Mikey Brown »

The latest, hippest, coolest, most exclusive offshoot of Black Friday which is apparently now a month long.
Puja

Post by Puja »

Black Friday is an abomination anywhere that's not Yank Country. It is not a noteworthy day in the UK because we don't do Thanksgiving and any sales are the businesses screwing you, not the other way around. Not to mention the poor sods who work in the shops and have to deal with bargain hunters.

Puja
Backist Monk
Mikey Brown

Post by Mikey Brown »

It's a thanksgiving thing? I thought it was just the last pay day before Xmas or something? Not that it makes it anything much more than a scam either way.
Puja

Post by Puja »

Mikey Brown wrote:It's a thanksgiving thing? I thought it was just the last pay day before Xmas or something? Not that it makes it anything much more than a scam either way.
It's like their Boxing Day because they've got a Bank Holiday on the Thursday, so there are massive sales when shops reopen on Friday (and a lot of non-retail people have also taken the day off to make a long weekend). Still a scam, but you can see that there's logic behind it, unlike in the UK where, instead of being the day after a Bank Holiday, it is a... Friday. An ordinary Friday in November.

Puja
Backist Monk
Mikey Brown

Post by Mikey Brown »

Rugby/sports journalism.

Just... why? Why would anybody ever talk like this? Why would you pay attention to them if they did?

I get that these sites need to keep churning out content with seo-friendly terms but it's so lazy, yet so relentless. How are you ever meant to know which articles are actually going to have some sort of substance and which are just someone repeating a load of stuff about Finn Russell being a 'maverick'? It's sort of amazing that you can write a headline simultaneously so strange and so banal.

I also hate the person putting out the premiership rugby clips/highlights who is obsessed with alliteration. Fucking "rapid Radwan" fuck off you prick. I hope you're reading this, whoever you are.

And don't even get me started on this bullshit. Who finds this entertaining? I don't know which is sadder - the idea these are being created by some middle aged nerd attempting to imitate tiktok culture or that they've got some 14 year old intern making all these videos and they think this is actually good?
Donny osmond

Post by Donny osmond »

Elf on the Shelf.

Fuck all the way off. I will pay for you to fly back from wherever you have fucked off to, just so that I can tell you to fuck off back there.

Sent from my CPH2195 using Tapatalk
Puja

Post by Puja »

Clapping and cheering at cinemas. Watched the new Spiderman today (quite good as a film on its own, very very enjoyable if you're a phenomenal nerd and have been since the first Spiderman back in 2002) and at several points the audience broke out into literal applause and cheers.

THEY. CAN'T. HEAR. YOU. It may look like there are people trapped in the screen, but I promise you that they're not really there in the cinema with you, performing live 10 times a day, and appreciating every fucker's feedback. It's a fucking movie, and one which I was enjoying until you decided to drown part of it out with your seal impression.

Puja
Backist Monk
Mikey Brown

Post by Mikey Brown »

Jesus. Another thing I thought was only for the yanks. I guess they all saw it in a movie or something.
Donny osmond

Re: RE: Re: The Cringe/Hate Thread

Post by Donny osmond »

Puja wrote:Clapping and cheering at cinemas. Watched the new Spiderman today (quite good as a film on its own, very very enjoyable if you're a phenomenal nerd and have been since the first Spiderman back in 2002) and at several points the audience broke out into literal applause and cheers.

THEY. CAN'T. HEAR. YOU. It may look like there are people trapped in the screen, but I promise you that they're not really there in the cinema with you, performing live 10 times a day, and appreciating every fucker's feedback. It's a fucking movie, and one which I was enjoying until you decided to drown part of it out with your seal impression.

Puja
Singing and dancing over the top of musicals. Went to Les Mis last week, and what was a genuinely emotional, fantastic production was nearly ruined by fat drunken cunts thinking it's a fecking singalong. 20 years in a French prison would be too good for them.

Puja

Re: RE: Re: The Cringe/Hate Thread

Post by Puja »

Donny osmond wrote:
Puja wrote:Clapping and cheering at cinemas. Watched the new Spiderman today (quite good as a film on its own, very very enjoyable if you're a phenomenal nerd and have been since the first Spiderman back in 2002) and at several points the audience broke out into literal applause and cheers.

Puja
Singing and dancing over the top of musicals. Went to Les Mis last week, and what was a genuinely emotional, fantastic production was nearly ruined by fat drunken cunts thinking it's a fecking singalong. 20 years in a French prison would be too good for them.

Oh gods, that's even worse!

Pujq
Backist Monk
Donny osmond

Re: RE: Re: RE: Re: The Cringe/Hate Thread

Post by Donny osmond »

Puja wrote:
Donny osmond wrote:

Puja

Oh gods, that's even worse!

Pujq
I mean, I try and understand more, condemn less, I really do. If it was Hairspray or Shrek musicals I wouldn't mind so much.

But its Les bloody Mis and listening to Kaytee from fecking Cumbernauld belt out 'Do You Hear Ra Peepo Sing?' out of tune and out of time ... well it's asking too much, I'm just not that generous of a spirit I'm afraid.

Buggaluggs

Post by Buggaluggs »

Puja wrote:

Black Friday is an abomination anywhere that's not Yank Country. It is not a noteworthy day in the UK because we don't do Thanksgiving and any sales are the businesses screwing you, not the other way around. Not to mention the poor sods who work in the shops and have to deal with bargain hunters.

Puja
Apparently they called it black Friday because shops are typically in the red all year until the day after thanksgiving, then they go into the black (profit).

It is odd that on Thursday we go around the table and tell everyone what we're thankful for this year, then the following day beat the shit out of each other trying to get the last cheap 55" TV.
Galfon

Post by Galfon »

cringe-nouveau - never had to Q. for a p!ss at a railway stn. in my life..until today. :|
The 2 sections, previously split on gender lines, are now combined and for all. No urinals any more, so had to join an orderly slow-moving Q. nudging towards an entrance from which a heady mix of perfumed aromas wafted - a difference from the customary stale urine & disinfectant. Didn't waste any time & found another channel.Not sure what will transpire when an ebulliant fully hydrated footy-crowd rumbles through..( mops at the ready team !)
francoisfou

Post by francoisfou »

I'm getting more and more pissed off with "Americanisms" in British English!!

It makes me cringe when I read "his defense isn't so good" Ffs, why can't they spell it correctly?!

And, "he's gotten..." instead of he's got..

Grrrrrrrrrrrrrrrr!!
Galfon

Post by Galfon »

What's wrong with good old 'Team ?' - you can even run -building and -working events to train staff to be more productive by doing what comes naturally; it seems 'Group' is moving into this space now, which is good because there is no 'I' or 'me' in there.
Spiffy

Post by Spiffy »

francoisfou wrote:I'm getting more and more pissed off with "Americanisms" in British English!!

It makes me cringe when I read "his defense isn't so good" Ffs, why can't they spell it correctly?!

Grrrrrrrrrrrrrrrr!!
Apparently "gotten" is proper old English and was held on to by American New Englanders when the English themselves gave it up.
francoisfou

Post by francoisfou »

Spiffy wrote:
francoisfou wrote:I'm getting more and more pissed off with "Americanisms" in British English!!

Grrrrrrrrrrrrrrrr!!
Apparently "gotten" is proper old English and was held on to by American New Englanders when the English themselves gave it up.
I'd forgot that :)
Mikey Brown

Post by Mikey Brown »

The way people use the word 'nasally' really pisses me off, when usually the word 'nasal' is all they're looking for.
Mikey Brown

Post by Mikey Brown »

Keys that fit in the lock both ways. Just why?
Mikey Brown

Post by Mikey Brown »

I think if somehow I'd ever been good enough for the England squad then the cringe banter would have sent me to an early retirement.
Banquo

Post by Banquo »

ewelsy. ffs