The Cringe/Hate Thread

Galfon

Re: The Cringe/Hate Thread

Post by Galfon »

Those new style sphincter-like bog paper dispensers.
When the paper jams ( frequently it seems ), there is no wriggle room to work the next piece out with a pen or finger, and the unit is usually locked. Being dome shaped, they can't even leave an emergency pile or bundle resting on top as back-up.
Somebody will have a design award for this I am sure.
The options available for the more dramatic events sre all pretty unsavoury. :o
Banquo

Post by Banquo »

Any first world issue being described as a crisis, disaster, absolute chaos etc. Hyperbole makes me literally explode :lol:
morepork

Post by morepork »

"life hack".

Fuck off.
Banquo

Post by Banquo »

morepork wrote:"life hack".

Fuck off.
oh yes.
Puja

Post by Puja »

Fuck off.
Doubly so when the "hack" in question is ridiculously facile or pointless. "Use a straw to remove the core from strawberries! Life hack!"

Puja
Backist Monk
Banquo

Post by Banquo »

Puja wrote:

Fuck off.
Doubly so when the "hack" in question is ridiculously facile or pointless. "Use a straw to remove the core from strawberries! Life hack!"

Puja
Very close to Viz top tips tbh
Galfon

Post by Galfon »

'Reach out..'
not sure when 'contact' / 'tried to contact' failed to have meaning, or where this leaves Outreach workers. :|
Mikey Brown

Post by Mikey Brown »

The phrase “like deja vu all over again”.

I never know if this is meant to be funny or it’s simply people not knowing what deja vu actually means, but I hate it either way.
SerjeantWildgoose

Post by SerjeantWildgoose »

Mikey Brown wrote:The phrase “like deja vu all over again”.

I never know if this is meant to be funny or it’s simply people not knowing what deja vu actually means, but I hate it either way.
I could have sworn you posted that earlier in the thread.
Idle Feck
Mikey Brown

Post by Mikey Brown »

Even if that’s a joke you might well be right.

I was going to add that using the phrase “quote unquote” before you quote something seems incorrect. Which may be both wrong and a duplicate of something I posted in here already.
Galfon

Post by Galfon »

Bookcases - the things that got in the way of uncluttered, minimalist interiors.
( Second-hand book sales must have gone through the roof :) )
morepork

Post by morepork »

The phrase "cancel culture". For fucks sake, the entire dictionary is being turned into a handful of shouty nonsense memes.
Puja

Post by Puja »

morepork wrote:The phrase "cancel culture". For fucks sake, the entire dictionary is being turned into a handful of shouty nonsense memes.
Seconded. "Cancel culture" goes right next to "political correctness" in the collection of phrases that instantly lets me know somebody's not worth talking to.

Puja
Backist Monk
Which Tyler

Post by Which Tyler »

Puja wrote:
morepork wrote:The phrase "cancel culture". For fucks sake, the entire dictionary is being turned into a handful of shouty nonsense memes.
Seconded. "Cancel culture" goes right next to "political correctness" in the collection of phrases that instantly lets me know somebody's not worth talking to.

Puja
May I add "Why don't you go and do your own research" and "you asked for empirical evidence, so here's a youtube video"

I've had both of these today when challenging the obvious fact that lockdowns and social distancing is causing more deaths than letting covid run rampant / anything because Covid is a hoax
morepork

Post by morepork »

Which Tyler wrote:
Puja wrote:

Puja
May I add "Why don't you go and do your own research" and "you asked for empirical evidence, so here's a youtube video"

I've had both of these today when challenging the obvious fact that lockdowns and social distancing is causing more deaths than letting covid run rampant / anything because Covid is a hoax

The whole of humanity is now 2 degrees of separation away from any conveniently unsubstantiated anecdote thanks to that "do your own research" shit.

Some days, I just fucking hate people.
Galfon

Post by Galfon »

Woke...up...this morning / with a headache / feeling sh!t...
that's about it isn't it ?
Tickleman

Post by Tickleman »

People who say ‘yourself’ instead of you: ‘I posted it to yourself’; ‘I’ll send an email to yourself,’ etc.
Tickleman

Post by Tickleman »

‘Red Wall Voters’ ...

TV continuity announcers with faux-Northern accents.
Numbers

Post by Numbers »

Banquo wrote:
Puja wrote:

Fuck off.

Puja
Very close to Viz top tips tbh
One of my favourites, buy onions instead of apples they're cheaper.
Mikey Brown

Post by Mikey Brown »

"Clutch."

I haven't the slightest clue what people mean anymore when they use this word. It seems to have taken on some new meaning in a sports context and, whatever it is, I hate it.
Puja

Post by Puja »

Mikey Brown wrote:"Clutch."

I haven't the slightest clue what people mean anymore when they use this word. It seems to have taken on some new meaning in a sports context and, whatever it is, I hate it.
You read the article about Raducanu too, huh?

Puja
Backist Monk
Mikey Brown

Post by Mikey Brown »

Nope, I don’t think so. Was it used in a positive way? I feel like it’s used to say someone’s got big balls maybe? The thing that prompted me to post this was seeing a thumbnail for a clip from the top 14 with “x player comes in clutch”, which just… what? How is that a phrase?

God I’m so old.
Puja

Post by Puja »

Mikey Brown wrote:Nope, I don’t think so. Was it used in a positive way? I feel like it’s used to say someone’s got big balls maybe? The thing that prompted me to post this was seeing a thumbnail for a clip from the top 14 with “x player comes in clutch”, which just… what? How is that a phrase?

God I’m so old.
https://www.theguardian.com/sport/blog/ ... to-another
The biggest names in men’s and women’s tennis are often reckoned to be more “clutch” under pressure – in other words, they play even better when the stakes are higher.
First real time I'd come across it, so I'm not aggravated by it/inured to it as of yet, but it did strike me as a very Yankee turn of phrase and one the writer seemed embarrassed by given they put it in speechmarks every time they used it.

Puja
Backist Monk
Mikey Brown

Post by Mikey Brown »

Well that makes sense. Sort of? I’m sure I saw a ‘top 10 clutch players’ video or something similar which had Farrell’s face on it. So I should have guessed that meant flawless under pressure.

It seems odd that something like the guardian would bother using and explaining a phrase that will have entirely disappeared in 6 months time.
Galfon

Post by Galfon »

' So...' every response to a question has to begin with this wee conjunction, which may be just twendy, or a subtle tool to soften the question. Save ye'breff please. :|