The Glasgow Carpet Burns and Cary Grant Appreciation Thread

Moderator: OptimisticJock

hp18

The Glasgow Carpet Burns and Cary Grant Appreciation Thread

Post by hp18 »

Soon to be more plastic than a 2nd level WAGs convention.

http://www.thenational.scot/sport/rugby ... ises.13683
AN ARTIFICIAL surface looks certain to be installed at Scotstoun Stadium this summer, following talks between all the stakeholders.

For the first time, the discussions included Victoria Park Glasgow athletics club.

It is understood that both Glasgow Life, who manage the facility, and Glasgow Warriors recognise that VPG have legitimate concerns about the rugby club’s activities, which will now be addressed.

If the £550,000 3G pitch is installed, there should then be no further postponements of Warriors’ home matches. Heavy rainfall means the club have not been able to use the pitch since December 12, and next Friday’s Pro12 game against Munster has already been switched to Rugby Park.

It is understood that the athletics club would prefer to retain a grass infield/rugby pitch, and also remain unhappy about the temporary stands which sit inside the all-weather track for nine months of the year.

However, and subject to written guarantees, they have decided to accept the artificial surface in the spirit of compromise.

The new surface will not be suitable for hammer throws, and javelin throwing will also be restricted. To compensate, it is understood that Glasgow Life and sportscotland will consider erecting a small stand on the back pitches for throwing events at major meets – and possibly also provide cameras which would enable the hammer and javelin competitions to be shown on big screens inside the main stadium.

It is further understood that lanes one and two of the running track will be replaced as they have been damaged in the last couple of years.

Scottish Athletics, who have also been involved in the talks, planned to hold a major championship at Scotstoun this summer – but that has been put on hold because of the expected pitch installation.

Meanwhile, a 1,100-signature petition has been sent to local politicians over the problems large crowds are said to cause in the stadium’s environs.
Last edited by hp18 on Thu Sep 15, 2016 8:53 pm, edited 1 time in total.
The Coo is dead. Long live The Coo.
hp18

Re: The Glasgow Beach Rugby Thread

Post by hp18 »

There's also a Glasgow ST holders meeting on tonight at Scotstoun. Curious to see what comes from that, though a friend who's there has just informed me that "The pitch is f*cked"
Argus

Post by Argus »

Whilst I entirely sympathise with the joggers, the way Scottish athletics has tried to portray GW as the big money boys is pretty pathetic.

The Warriors have come a long way since standing at the mud in Hughenden due to the hard work of those inside the club and the fans that have been going along every week to create at atmosphere that people want to come back for. To get crowds bigger than most SPL clubs in that football mad city deserves some measure of praise.
Edinburgh in Exile

Post by Edinburgh in Exile »

Here, is this yon pack of fuds new weegie catch all fred?

Like the new name of this too if it is.

Just checking so I know where to leave my rubbish... Something, something giro, something, something, shitest Europe record since "on the loose"

I had to google that last one.

It wasn't worth it.

I feel empty.
hp18

Post by hp18 »

Two year extension for Price
hp18

Post by hp18 »

ST holder event last night. A few points

T will be leaving.
Plastic pitch seems a go.
Hampden will never host a rugby game.
Some interesting stats but I'll leave that for statto.
The budget is 5mill. Not sure if that's just wages or everything.
Few hints at future signings.
Dunbar should be back next week.
Plan is this Friday is the last game played away from Scotstoun this season.

And some other stuff.
hp18

Post by hp18 »

Edinburgh in Exile wrote:Here, is this yon pack of fuds new weegie catch all fred?

Like the new name of this too if it is.

Just checking so I know where to leave my rubbish... Something, something giro, something, something, shitest Europe record since "on the loose"

I had to google that last one.

It wasn't worth it.

I feel empty.
Nobody cares bro.
General Zod

Post by General Zod »

How much does a decent stadium cost to build nowadays? Suppose Scottish rugby has other things to worry about. Like finding somewhere in Aberdeen for a new team.
Which Tyler

Post by Which Tyler »

General Zod wrote:How much does a decent stadium cost to build nowadays? Suppose Scottish rugby has other things to worry about. Like finding somewhere in Aberdeen for a new team.
IIRC Allianz Parl cost Circa £20M; which was, of course, a redevelopment, rather than a new build (not sure if that would increase or decrease the estimate), and doesn't include cost of the land.
General Zod

Post by General Zod »

Should have bidded for ibrox when we had the chance.

This poster had foresight.
hp18

Post by hp18 »

Scotland internationals Sean Lamont, Gordon Reid, Tim Swinson and Duncan Weir return from RBS Six Nations duty and are named in the Glasgow Warriors starting line-up, while Zander Fagerson is named on the bench for tomorrow’s GUINNESS PRO12 clash with Munster.

The game has been moved to Rugby Park due to the Scotstoun pitch being waterlogged, with the home of Kilmarnock Football Club becoming the 39th venue to host a PRO12 fixture.

Peter Murchie retains his place at full-back, following the narrow 13-10 defeat to Ulster last Friday, while Taqele Naiyaravoro comes in for Lee Jones and Lamont replaces Rory Hughes, who has been named amongst the replacements.

Peter Horne starts at inside centre and will partner Glenn Bryce in midfield.

Weir returns at fly-half and, after signing a new two-year deal this week, Ali Price once again starts at scrum-half.

In the pack Ayrshire-born Reid returns at loosehead, while James Malcolm makes his first start in the GUINNESS PRO12 and eighth appearance at hooker.

Sila Puafisi is named at tighthead, after agreeing a new deal with the club this week through until May 2017.

Swinson returns to the Warriors second-row and partners Leone Nakarawa in the engine room.

Rob Harley and Chris Fusaro once again start at blindside and openside respectively, while Josh Strauss starts at Number 8 and captains the side, following two substitute appearances in the last two games against Ulster and Ospreys.

BT Sport Scottish Rugby Academy Stage 3 hooker Cammy Fenton could make his first appearance for the Warriors from the bench.

More than 7,000 tickets have been sold for the GUINNESS PRO12 clash but tickets are still available from glasgowwarriors.org, from the ticket office on 0844 800 3490 (Thursday & Friday, 10am-5pm) and from the Warriors ticket office at Rugby Park from 2pm tomorrow.

Glasgow Warriors head coach Gregor Townsend said: “It’s our first home game for a few weeks, against one of our contenders for a play-off spot so it’s an important match for us.

"Munster are one of the top teams in the league, so we’re well aware of the challenge we face at Rugby Park.

"It’s great to include Cammy Fenton in a matchday squad for the first time, while we’ve been boosted by the return of some of our Scotland players.

"The whole occasion at Rugby Park last time was great and we’re looking forward to playing there again tomorrow night."

Glasgow Warriors team to play Munster, GUINNESS PRO12, Rugby Park, Friday 19 February (kick-off 7.35pm) – live on Sky Sports 5:

15. Peter Murchie
14. Taqele Naiyaravoro
13. Glenn Bryce
12. Peter Horne
11. Sean Lamont
10. Duncan Weir
9. Ali Price

1. Gordon Reid
2. James Malcolm
3. Sila Puafisi
4. Tim Swinson
5. Leone Nakarawa
6. Rob Harley
7. Chris Fusaro
8. Josh Strauss (Captain)

Replacements

16. Cammy Fenton
17. Jerry Yanuyanutawa
18. Zander Fagerson
19. Greg Peterson
20. Simone Favaro
21. Grayson Hart
22. Fraser Lyle
23. Rory Hughes

Not available due to injury: Adam Ashe (shoulder), Mike Blair (concussion), Fraser Brown (ankle), Kevin Bryce (shoulder), Alex Dunbar (posterior thigh), Ryan Grant (arm), Tyrone Holmes (foot), Lee Jones (hip), Pat MacArthur (glut / hamstring), Shalva Mamukashvili (shoulder), Henry Pyrgos (wrist), Fergus Scott (shoulder) and Richie Vernon (shoulder).

Munster Team:

15: Conway
14: Sweetnam
13: Johnston
12: R Scannell
11: RO’M
10: Keatley
9: O’Leary

1: Kilcoyne
2: N Scannell,
3: Ryan
4: Ryan
5: Holland
6: O'Donoghue
7: O'Donnell
8: Copeland

Subs:
Sherry, Cronin, Sagario, Foley, Oliver, Williams, JHolland, Bohane.
Chunks Baws

Post by Chunks Baws »

So Mr T is definitely off. If I was a Glasgow fan I wouldn't be that bothered. As one bloke just said on twitter, he'll probably pop up in France in a season or two.
hp18

Post by hp18 »

7th hooker of the season (2nd EDP), welcome Cammy Fenton.
hugh_woatmeigh

Post by hugh_woatmeigh »

hp18 wrote:7th hooker of the season (2nd EDP), welcome Cammy Fenton.
Glasgow's depth is absolutely insane.

I was hoping to see Ashe make a return. We need options at 8 for Scotland. How far off a return is he?
Matt Ha

Post by Matt Ha »

Does the inclusion of Lamont and Weir mean they are both axed from the Test squad?
hugh_woatmeigh

Post by hugh_woatmeigh »

Matt Ha wrote:Does the inclusion of Lamont and Weir mean they are both axed from the Test squad?
No. They haven't played much rugby plus there is a week break anyway.

On another note, it's harsh to drop Hunter entirely IMO. I thought he showed a lot of promise.
hp18

Post by hp18 »

Matt Ha wrote:Does the inclusion of Lamont and Weir mean they are both axed from the Test squad?
Just means they're not starters. Reid looks to have been dropped though, Sutherland has been held back for Scotland duty.
hp18

Post by hp18 »

hugh_woatmeigh wrote:
No. They haven't played much rugby plus there is a week break anyway.

On another note, it's harsh to drop Hunter entirely IMO. I thought he showed a lot of promise.
Need to win this game, and I trust Toonie not to let Hunter be down about it.
hugh_woatmeigh

Post by hugh_woatmeigh »

hp18 wrote:
Just means they're not starters. Reid looks to have been dropped though, Sutherland has been held back for Scotland duty.
That's a mistake. Sutherland is not in the same class.
Chunks Baws

Post by Chunks Baws »

hugh_woatmeigh wrote:
hp18 wrote:

I think Reid has been gash when he's come on this 6N.

hugh_woatmeigh wrote:

I was hoping to see Ashe make a return. We need options at 8 for Scotland. How far off a return is he?
I mentioned in the Italy thread that Wilson was pictured at the open training session yesterday at Murrayfield, and hasn't been named in Glasgow's squad this weekend. Potential 8 for Italy or bench option? Or is he just covering in case Cowan doesn't pass the concussion protocols?
hp18

Post by hp18 »

hugh_woatmeigh wrote:
hp18 wrote:
I rate Sutherland, and Reid hasn't been hitting his usual heights. Good time to try him out anyway given the other two front row colleagues he'll be on with are his clubmates.
hp18

Post by hp18 »

Chunks Baws wrote:.

hugh_woatmeigh wrote:

I mentioned in the Italy thread that Wilson was pictured at the open training session yesterday at Murrayfield, and hasn't been named in Glasgow's squad this weekend. Potential 8 for Italy or bench option? Or is he just covering in case Cowan doesn't pass the concussion protocols?
He's seen as a utility backrower, same as Cowan. So I expect he's covering that gap.
hp18

Post by hp18 »

hugh_woatmeigh wrote:

Needs to be, they've broken 5 hookers. Two were season enders. Malcolm has stepped up v well, if Fenton can have anywhere near that impact it says a lot for the quality of EDP being developed.

No idea. Can't remember a timeframe being put on it.
Donny osmond

Post by Donny osmond »

Bp win v munner is a good way to catch up one of our games in hand. Well done fellas. Just need to win all the rest of our games to resurrect the season....
Argus

Post by Argus »

That was some game. Would maybe have been a bit more comfortable had our lineout functioned.

Beard was incredible and really put his hand up as potential captain.