The Glasgow Carpet Burns and Cary Grant Appreciation Thread

Moderator: OptimisticJock

Big D

Re: The Glasgow Carpet Burns and Cary Grant Appreciation Thread

Post by Big D »

Not the best game but weather didn't help. Glasgow with a couple of pieces of nice play at the right time to win it.
septic 9

Post by septic 9 »

Warriors injury list going into today's 1872 2nd leg is pretty bad. Vailanu no out for 6-8 weeks
The list is currently
Fraser Brown (knee), Gregor Brown (knee), Sebastian Cancelliere (neck), Jack Dempsey (face), Jamie Dobie (ankle), Matt Fagerson (face), Sintu Manjezi (foot), Enrique Pieretto (knee), JP du Preez (knee), Ollie Smith (knee), Lucio Sordoni (shoulder), Kyle Steyn (ankle), Sione Vailanu (knee), Murphy Walker (knee).

I'd say 10 of those would hope to be starters or at least in the match day 23
switchskier

Post by switchskier »

Glasgow game just kicking off. Interested to see how Hiddleston and Samuel get on. Are injuries still that bad or is Smith taking a French approach after the loss to Northampton?

Glasgow Warriors: McKay, Jones, Tuipulotu (c), McDowall, Rowe, Weir, Horne; Kebble, Hiddleston, Z Fagerson, Cummings, Samuel, Miller, M Fagerson, Venter.

Replacements: Turner, Bhatti, Sordoni, Gray, Williamson, Ferrie, Afshar, Jordan
septic 9

Post by septic 9 »

switchskier wrote: Sat Jan 13, 2024 1:07 pm Glasgow game just kicking off. Interested to see how Hiddleston and Samuel get on. Are injuries still that bad or is Smith taking a French approach after the loss to Northampton?

Glasgow Warriors: McKay, Jones, Tuipulotu (c), McDowall, Rowe, Weir, Horne; Kebble, Hiddleston, Z Fagerson, Cummings, Samuel, Miller, M Fagerson, Venter.

Replacements: Turner, Bhatti, Sordoni, Gray, Williamson, Ferrie, Afshar, Jordan
both of those two went really well. Hiddlestone especially on his debut

I'm outraged at the loss though. Stonewall red card early on downgraded to yellow because according to the ref the Exeter plater hit the ball first before the red. He didn't it was shoulder direct to head. But leaving that detail aside, it was direct head to head contact as well.

i'm not going to comment on the farce of the disallowed Glasgow try at the end. Or the series of scrums collapsed by Exeter after they changed their front row which reuslted on one Glasgow pen, but on the last scrum. Or second last. Or 3rd last................as the clock went red
Donny osmond

Post by Donny osmond »

That scrum was over, finished, the ball was in play.
switchskier

Post by switchskier »

Flatmans interpretation here, but I disagree. He's off that scrum and it's live. Glasgow were robbed. Great performance though, thought they were going to get cuffed when I saw the teams.

Getting quite hopeful about Samuel - he's got all the attributes and Scotland could really use a lock of his qualities.

https://x.com/thistlerugbypod/status/17 ... 01615?s=46
septic 9

Post by septic 9 »

switchskier wrote: Sun Jan 14, 2024 12:17 am Flatmans interpretation here, but I disagree. He's off that scrum and it's live. Glasgow were robbed. Great performance though, thought they were going to get cuffed when I saw the teams.

Getting quite hopeful about Samuel - he's got all the attributes and Scotland could really use a lock of his qualities.

https://x.com/thistlerugbypod/status/17 ... 01615?s=46
doubt there was a single serious Glasgow fan who didn't think they were on to a hiding. Poor record down there and with 10 first team squad missing (14 injured in total).......

Samuel was good, Hiddlestone better. Fantastic debut. And he is a seriously big lad for a hooker
Jocky

Post by Jocky »

Rory Sutherland on his way to Glasgow (presumably for next season) on a two year deal. Do we need another loose head? I did hear this as a rumour a few weeks ago along with Hastings also mentioned.
septic 9

Post by septic 9 »

Jocky wrote: Mon Feb 05, 2024 9:50 pm Rory Sutherland on his way to Glasgow (presumably for next season) on a two year deal. Do we need another loose head? I did hear this as a rumour a few weeks ago along with Hastings also mentioned.
it tells me clearly its not so much another loose head as another loose head is leaving. I'd guess the almost invisible Alan Dell
Jocky

Post by Jocky »

Ah yes, very true, I completely forgot Dell was there.
Big D

Post by Big D »

Scotland have had some looseheads come in and hit a purple patch of varying lengths then fade away. Will be interesting to see if Schoeman gets to 50 caps. Reid is the only one recently I can think of with 40 caps in the last 10 years.

Dell - 30 odd caps, and a Lion (by circumstance). Has played 28min of international rugby since 2020. Seemed to get plenty on games at LI but no longer has form to get regular game time at club level.

Mario - had a 6 month purple patch including good international performances then disappeared really.

Ryan Grant - 2 season purple patch when the rules changed then injuries and other props adapting better saw him drop off.
septic 9

Post by septic 9 »

Big D wrote: Tue Feb 06, 2024 3:07 pm Dell - 30 odd caps, and a Lion (by circumstance). Has played 28min of international rugby since 2020. Seemed to get plenty on games at LI but no longer has form to get regular game time at club level.

Dell was decent at Edinburgh, no more. Toonie was a huge fan however, this I know.
At LI he got a good number of games first couple of seasons but precious few starts. He may have had an injury then I can't be sure but he essentially nearly disappeared off their match day squads. He was getting mullered in scrums and lacked bulk for the Premiership really
Big D

Post by Big D »

septic 9 wrote: Tue Feb 06, 2024 4:37 pm
Big D wrote: Tue Feb 06, 2024 3:07 pm Dell - 30 odd caps, and a Lion (by circumstance). Has played 28min of international rugby since 2020. Seemed to get plenty on games at LI but no longer has form to get regular game time at club level.

Dell was decent at Edinburgh, no more. Toonie was a huge fan however, this I know.
At LI he got a good number of games first couple of seasons but precious few starts. He may have had an injury then I can't be sure but he essentially nearly disappeared off their match day squads. He was getting mullered in scrums and lacked bulk for the Premiership really
Yeah, was more commentary of how we've cycled through LHs without any really sticking and some have completely fallen away. Lots with 20-35 caps but I can't think of any LH with more than 41 (Reid) since Chunk. Where as there has been Murray (mostly at similar time to Chunk, Nel and Fagerson with over 60 caps on the TH side then Berghan with 30odd.
Mikey Brown

Post by Mikey Brown »

Dickinson was probably the one that would have 100 if it weren’t for injury.
septic 9

Post by septic 9 »

Mikey Brown wrote: Tue Feb 06, 2024 5:44 pm Dickinson was probably the one that would have 100 if it weren’t for injury.
had few injuries late career but doubt he would have made 100. I'll explain :D
The young Dicko was like the young Genge and Marler. Great to up the ball carrying, really dynamic, for the last 15/20mins - for Edinburgh. Start him and his scrumming was crucified. He was also lightweight
He also suffered from having Captain Haddock as head coach. Hadden actually picked a Dickenson who could barely hold his end up as a LH to start at TH against France in Paris. Madness and IMHO stunted him a bit. He was also up against Chunk at edin for his whole initial time there, again making him a bench option rather than a regular starter.
When he went to Glouc he was almost immediately farmed out to Mosely. IMHO because when he got there they found his scrumming wasn't up to it. But that changed. He piled on some muscle kgs and learned to scrum with the big boys and became excellent. Had Hadden and his assistants had anything about them this would have been done when Dicko was in his early 20s rather than in his late 20s.

FWIW he seems to be doing a brilliant job as Warriors scrum/forwards coach. Especially their scrum and maul
Mikey Brown

Post by Mikey Brown »

septic 9 wrote: Tue Feb 13, 2024 2:09 pm
Mikey Brown wrote: Tue Feb 06, 2024 5:44 pm Dickinson was probably the one that would have 100 if it weren’t for injury.
The young Dicko was like the young Genge and Marler. Great to up the ball carrying, really dynamic, for the last 15/20mins - for Edinburgh. Start him and his scrumming was crucified. He was also lightweight
He also suffered from having Captain Haddock as head coach. Hadden actually picked a Dickenson who could barely hold his end up as a LH to start at TH against France in Paris. Madness and IMHO stunted him a bit. He was also up against Chunk at edin for his whole initial time there, again making him a bench option rather than a regular starter.
When he went to Glouc he was almost immediately farmed out to Mosely. IMHO because when he got there they found his scrumming wasn't up to it. But that changed. He piled on some muscle kgs and learned to scrum with the big boys and became excellent. Had Hadden and his assistants had anything about them this would have been done when Dicko was in his early 20s rather than in his late 20s.

FWIW he seems to be doing a brilliant job as Warriors scrum/forwards coach. Especially their scrum and maul
Fair enough. "Coaching/managerial ineptitude aside" should probably have been a (rather big) caveat to that statement. Maybe I'm misremembering, but felt like he had a very significant period of being injured shortly after he turned the corner as a test prop.

I'm also assuming you mean Vunipola and not Marler, but I do remember a pretty remarkable turn of pace for a prop (at the time) when he first came through. I hadn't even realised he was with Warriors now. Good to hear he's doing well. I hope he can have a positive influence on Sutherland, who has lost his way a bit.
Big D

Post by Big D »

septic 9 wrote: Tue Feb 13, 2024 2:09 pm

If I remember, they wanted Dickinson to cover both as there was only one prop on the bench for a time and Chunk was the established LHP. Came in in 2007 and debuted in that famous All Black game where everyone was rested. I might be wrong but for his first 6N, Dickinson was named with CSmith on the bench but this left us short as the bench was still 7 men. Both Grant and Dickinson benefitted from the change in laws too I think.

Very much a modern prop before his time I think.

Ali and his Dad are nice fellas. His Dad was team manager when I played district rep rugby and Ali would pop down.
septic 9

Post by septic 9 »

Big D wrote: Tue Feb 13, 2024 2:57 pm
If I remember, they wanted Dickinson to cover both as there was only one prop on the bench for a time and Chunk was the established LHP. Came in in 2007 and debuted in that famous All Black game where everyone was rested. I might be wrong but for his first 6N, Dickinson was named with CSmith on the bench but this left us short as the bench was still 7 men. Both Grant and Dickinson benefitted from the change in laws too I think.

Very much a modern prop before his time I think.

Ali and his Dad are nice fellas. His Dad was team manager when I played district rep rugby and Ali would pop down.
Yes mobile, good hands, modern prop. Probably the first one we had
he started at TH in Paris. With Jason white as one lock (who had been playing 6 all season and previous one) and an unfit Hamilton (IIRC). Hamilton barely lasted 15mins and went off, we played an hour with a lightweight poor scrummager at TH with 2 back rows at lock. We got minced for half an hour, then somehow few scrums and France wanting to move it we held on for a loss, but nt a huge on. I was there, I could not believe the team when announced. F'in Madness from Hadden. Can you tell I wasnt a fan?

Edit - http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport1/hi/rugby_union/7886529.stm
Last edited by septic 9 on Tue Feb 13, 2024 4:10 pm, edited 1 time in total.
septic 9

Post by septic 9 »

Mikey Brown wrote: Tue Feb 13, 2024 2:27 pm

I'm also assuming you mean Vunipola and not Marler, but I do remember a pretty remarkable turn of pace for a prop (at the time) when he first came through. I hadn't even realised he was with Warriors now. Good to hear he's doing well. I hope he can have a positive influence on Sutherland, who has lost his way a bit.
nope, Marler. MV was always huge, great in the loose and very good hands. But never was the best in the scrum and still isn't. Relied totally on his bulk and a lenient ref, technique non existent, and despite those rarely dominated a TH

Dicko had gone into coaching at Bristol, moved back sort of pandemic time IIRC to Glasgow. He is doing well, good point about Sutherland!
Cameo

Post by Cameo »

Glasgow have signed up Matthews, Hiddlestone, and Fraser and also currently have Turner and Brown. Though Brown might well be done, I do have my worries about gametime.

Smith seems to do a good job guvimg opportunities but at least three of that five need to be starting regularly, and Hiddlestone may be the most talented.

It's tough because you need big squads but you don't really want some of your most important prospects being 4th and 5th choice. I have no solutions other than the pipedream of a third team where.could fill those spots with real journeymen or proper youngsters. Super Series must help at least in giving them gametime at a reasonable level.
Mikey Brown

Post by Mikey Brown »

I would guess from Smith’s perspective he’s trying to account for a couple of Scotland call ups, plus an injury, not immediately leaving him in the shit.

You can say that for any position I suppose but front row is particularly difficult to replace.
BaldiePete

Post by BaldiePete »

Scotland: Southwell, Danielli, M. Evans, Morrison, T. Evans, Godman, Blair, Jacobsen, Ford, Dickinson, White, J. Hamilton, Strokosch, Taylor, Barclay.
Replacements: Paterson for Danielli (66), De Luca for Morrison (73), Cusiter for Blair (73), Hall for Ford (66), Low for Dickinson (46), Brown for J. Hamilton (18).
Not Used: Gray.

Jesus, that’s a horrible team. Who’s the unused substitute Gray? Is it Richie? If it is, Hadden must have decided not to put him on for what would have been his debut when Hamilton had to go off.
septic 9

Post by septic 9 »

BaldiePete wrote: Wed Feb 14, 2024 12:15 pm
Scotland: Southwell, Danielli, M. Evans, Morrison, T. Evans, Godman, Blair, Jacobsen, Ford, Dickinson, White, J. Hamilton, Strokosch, Taylor, Barclay.
Replacements: Paterson for Danielli (66), De Luca for Morrison (73), Cusiter for Blair (73), Hall for Ford (66), Low for Dickinson (46), Brown for J. Hamilton (18).
Not Used: Gray.

Jesus, that’s a horrible team. Who’s the unused substitute Gray? Is it Richie? If it is, Hadden must have decided not to put him on for what would have been his debut when Hamilton had to go off.
No not Richie, too early. Can't remember his first name but Scottish heritage guy who played in England, Saints I think. Not a very noteworthy player.
Only captain Haddock could go into a test match in Paris with one lock who had been struggling to be fit ( he wasn't), the other a 6 and no bench lock. Most of the game with a White/Taylor pairing in the row.
BaldiePete

Post by BaldiePete »

I did a bit of googling. It was Scott Gray, a backrow player, who got 8 caps between 2004 and 2009. I have zero recollection of him. He appears to have scored one try.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Scott_Gray_(rugby_union)
septic 9

Post by septic 9 »

Warriors v Dragons this week. Bit short of players methinks. Dobie on wing again, Kennedy on bench. Hooker with one appearance as back row cover

1 Jamie Bhatti (99) 2 Johnny Matthews 3 Lucio Sordoni
4 Max Williamson 5 Alex Samuel
6 Euan Ferrie 7 Thomas Gordon 8 Henco Venter

9 Ben Afshar 10 Ross Thompson
11 Jamie Dobie 12 Tom Jordan 13 Stafford McDowall (C) 14 Facundo Cordero
15 Josh McKay

Replacements
16 Angus Fraser 17 Nathan McBeth 8 Oli Kebble 19 Ruaraidh Hart 20 Sintu Manjezi 21 Gregor Hiddleston 22 Sean Kennedy 23 Duncan Weir