The Glasgow Carpet Burns and Cary Grant Appreciation Thread

Moderator: OptimisticJock

switchskier

Re: The Glasgow Carpet Burns and Cary Grant Appreciation Thread

Post by switchskier »

septic 9 wrote: Fri Feb 16, 2024 12:05 pm Warriors v Dragons this week. Bit short of players methinks. Dobie on wing again, Kennedy on bench. Hooker with one appearance as back row cover

1 Jamie Bhatti (99) 2 Johnny Matthews 3 Lucio Sordoni
4 Max Williamson 5 Alex Samuel
6 Euan Ferrie 7 Thomas Gordon 8 Henco Venter

9 Ben Afshar 10 Ross Thompson
11 Jamie Dobie 12 Tom Jordan 13 Stafford McDowall (C) 14 Facundo Cordero
15 Josh McKay

Replacements
16 Angus Fraser 17 Nathan McBeth 8 Oli Kebble 19 Ruaraidh Hart 20 Sintu Manjezi 21 Gregor Hiddleston 22 Sean Kennedy 23 Duncan Weir
No Logan Trotter, who I believe (not sure I've ever seen him play) is a back three player? Another 25 year old that I'm not sure why he's in the squad if he can't play under these circumstances.
Jocky

Post by Jocky »

Hastings to return to Glasgow for next season. A much needed bit of recruitment.
septic 9

Post by septic 9 »

switchskier wrote: Fri Feb 16, 2024 9:05 pm

No Logan Trotter, who I believe (not sure I've ever seen him play) is a back three player? Another 25 year old that I'm not sure why he's in the squad if he can't play under these circumstances.
he is back 3. I saw him play S6 a few seasons back, usually very good at that level. Went to London Irish (I think injury cover really) and got a few games, then Warriors picked him up, but hasn't seen a game so far. Given how short they are this week, it pretty clear something about his game worries the coaches, and at 25 seems unlikely he'll get many/any chances now, which is a shame.
septic 9

Post by septic 9 »

Jocky wrote: Sat Feb 17, 2024 12:50 am Hastings to return to Glasgow for next season. A much needed bit of recruitment.
IF he can stay fit, recent record is horrendous. And if its Franco Smith's idea, not the kremlin
septic 9

Post by septic 9 »

switchskier wrote: Fri Feb 16, 2024 9:05 pm
septic 9 wrote: Fri Feb 16, 2024 12:05 pm Warriors v Dragons this week. Bit short of players methinks. Dobie on wing again, Kennedy on bench. Hooker with one appearance as back row cover

1 Jamie Bhatti (99) 2 Johnny Matthews 3 Lucio Sordoni
4 Max Williamson 5 Alex Samuel
6 Euan Ferrie 7 Thomas Gordon 8 Henco Venter

9 Ben Afshar 10 Ross Thompson
11 Jamie Dobie 12 Tom Jordan 13 Stafford McDowall (C) 14 Facundo Cordero
15 Josh McKay

Replacements
16 Angus Fraser 17 Nathan McBeth 8 Oli Kebble 19 Ruaraidh Hart 20 Sintu Manjezi 21 Gregor Hiddleston 22 Sean Kennedy 23 Duncan Weir
I have a couple of possible explanations for Trotter's omission

Either it was because having 2 proper wings would have resulted in a scoreline that would have been too embarrassing for league. Or because it was just a practice match (and an unopposed one for the first 10mins)
septic 9

Post by septic 9 »

seems Huw Jones is off to Montpellier end of season. Wish him well of course but leaves Glasgow again a bit short on centre cover. Struggled by, just, this season with only Jones, Tui and McDowell, finally Jordan when not needed at 10. Not really an obvious academy coming through
Mikey Brown

Post by Mikey Brown »

I guess Steyn as a 13 isn't much help in international windows, but there are a few more wing options, no? Is Hastings in confirmed?
septic 9

Post by septic 9 »

Mikey Brown wrote: Tue Feb 27, 2024 11:31 am I guess Steyn as a 13 isn't much help in international windows, but there are a few more wing options, no? Is Hastings in confirmed?
club has not conformed Hastings

Steyn to 13 is a good option, but as you say not during International windows.
As to wing options - again not many. First choice wings are Steyn, Cancilliere, Rowe and currently Cordero. 2 likely to have Scotland involvement and 2 nSQ - Warriors are going to be under pressure to lose one or both under the new so called pathway and nSQ quotas - and no other option being seen as ready to step up hence the now almost regular selection of Dobie on the wing
switchskier

Post by switchskier »

septic 9 wrote: Tue Feb 27, 2024 12:58 pm
Mikey Brown wrote: Tue Feb 27, 2024 11:31 am I guess Steyn as a 13 isn't much help in international windows, but there are a few more wing options, no? Is Hastings in confirmed?
club has not conformed Hastings

Steyn to 13 is a good option, but as you say not during International windows.
As to wing options - again not many. First choice wings are Steyn, Cancilliere, Rowe and currently Cordero. 2 likely to have Scotland involvement and 2 nSQ - Warriors are going to be under pressure to lose one or both under the new so called pathway and nSQ quotas - and no other option being seen as ready to step up hence the now almost regular selection of Dobie on the wing
I thought that Duncan Munn was meant to be the next big thing (literally) in the centres? What happened to Bardeli, and as I pointed out previously, there is always Trotter for a wing option? Smith to 13 could be an option too.

If this frees up the budget to upgrade at ten with Hastings and move Jordan permanently to the centers I can see the logic, though shame to break up the partnership with Tuipolotu.
septic 9

Post by septic 9 »

switchskier wrote: Tue Feb 27, 2024 1:08 pm I thought that Duncan Munn was meant to be the next big thing (literally) in the centres? What happened to Bardeli, and as I pointed out previously, there is always Trotter for a wing option? Smith to 13 could be an option too.

If this frees up the budget to upgrade at ten with Hastings and move Jordan permanently to the centers I can see the logic, though shame to break up the partnership with Tuipolotu.
Munn may have meant to be the next big thing. First he isn't exceptionally big. He impressed when rushed into a B'muir S6 match while still in short trousers and did well enough, but while there are still those who think he will come good (and I hope they are right) I haven't myself seen anything to suggest he will make it. 21 this year, so needs to get some game time soon.
Both he and Bardelli are not on full contracts but partnership contracts. Bardelli is exciting but looked about 8st soaking wet olaying for Ayr. If he can bulk up he could be a Darcy Graham, but again 22 this year, needs to move uo soon.
Trotter is a funny ine. Stand out in S6, got the LI move, then taken to Warriors as back up depth (really for the RWC).
But Dobie starting on the wing in front of all 3 who AFAIK were all fit and available tells me the coach isnlt convinced by them, yet anyway.

BTW, its for Huw Jones to decide what is best for him. If he moves tough for Glasgow but that's life. They will move on
Big D

Post by Big D »

At 30 this will be his last big contract and I'm sure he's been offered a very healthy wedge.

I wonder if we'll see Tuipulotu Jnr join big bro. In no way an equivalent replacement as he is raw from what I've seen of him but would be a SQ replacement.
septic 9

Post by septic 9 »

Big D wrote: Wed Feb 28, 2024 8:36 am At 30 this will be his last big contract and I'm sure he's been offered a very healthy wedge.

I wonder if we'll see Tuipulotu Jnr join big bro. In no way an equivalent replacement as he is raw from what I've seen of him but would be a SQ replacement.
think he recently re-committed to Tahs
septic 9

Post by septic 9 »

septic 9 wrote: Tue Feb 27, 2024 10:05 am seems Huw Jones is off to Montpellier end of season. Wish him well of course but leaves Glasgow again a bit short on centre cover. Struggled by, just, this season with only Jones, Tui and McDowell, finally Jordan when not needed at 10. Not really an obvious academy coming through
Non story from french press.
He is staying at Glasgow. :D
Mikey Brown

Post by Mikey Brown »

Great news. Can Quins have McDowell now?
septic 9

Post by septic 9 »

Great result for the Weegies in Treviso against a strong well drilled opposition in apparently awful conditions. Wet and very heavy pitch, so unlike the fast artificial scotstoun one
Cameo

Post by Cameo »

That was disappointing.

Looking at it positively, yiu could say Glasgow were part of a great game and almost won, but I wasn't really impressed. I thought Harlequins were there to be beaten but Glasgow's execution let them down. Too many sloppy passes not going to the man when there was space to attack. They then lost their shape when trying to win it at the end.

Not that they are a bad team, just a long way to go.
Mikey Brown

Post by Mikey Brown »

Yep, sloppy in the backs and really lacking a threat like Jones in midfield. Fagerson doesn’t seem to make much of an impact carrying anymore now he’s at 6.
BaldiePete

Post by BaldiePete »

Well that was a damn sight more exciting than watching Edinburgh. Sloppy play let them down as did getting on the wrong side of the referee in the first half. They should have taken the points when they had the chance rather than persisting with the kicks to the corner. Six points ahead would have put more pressure on Quins to get a converted score.

Also, there was a ridiculous comment after a high shot on Darge. “It’s because of the way Darge goes into contact.”. Great, blame the player getting tackled not the player who bashes him in the head because of poor technique.
septic 9

Post by septic 9 »

ref was shocking tonight

Quins should have had one red and possibly 2 (Care twice high hiots leading with shoulder and seems to make head contact). And numerous other dubious decisions. Better 2nd half but still poor, really poor

That siad we didnlt take advantage of the YC perios, shpuld have kicked 3 to go 6 clear, and WTF was Weir, most experienced player in the team, thinking when he kicke dthat last ball. Kick it then it has to be direct into winger's arms, no bouncing. Madness
Jocky

Post by Jocky »

Frustrated we didn't make more of the yellow card period, we were too inaccurate at crucial points. Agree also to take the points on offer to go 6 ahead and had that sinking feeling when nothing came from the kicks to the line. Couldn't catch a break from the ref in the first half, but credit to the lads for coming back from 21-7. Feels like one that got away. Care was very lucky not to get a yellow. Marler tackled Darge the same time as the other player so can't see how the ref and TMO thought the other player's tackle gave mitigation for Marler's.
Cameo

Post by Cameo »

I actually thought the high tackle decisions were okay. Care's looked bad but I don't think he actually got the head.

The most costly decision for Glasgow was the decision to give a knock on by Fagerson near his line when he got Care's arms not the ball. It led to a try and yellow, during which time Harlequins scored again. Against that, I thought Matthews was lucky not to be penalised for his try. The ref called use it but then let him get the maul going again.

The decision on posts or the corner was a tricky one. Score a try and you win the game, get the kick and you put pressure on but harlequins still just need a converted try (which they got). I think execution throughout the game was more of an issue.

Agree on Fagerson btw. He's one of my favourite players and, at this level at least, a great carrier, but just doesn't seem quite at his best at 6. Personally I prefer him to Dempsey, but appreciate Dempsey has been playing well.
Donny osmond

Post by Donny osmond »

Was that a Scottish team getting on the wrong side of the ref, again? Didn't we talk about this during the 6N?
septic 9

Post by septic 9 »

Adam Hastings return to Glasgow confirmed. If he can stay clear of injury and regain his form when he left he could be the missing link for Warriors
Mikey Brown

Post by Mikey Brown »

Yep. If…
Jocky

Post by Jocky »

Hastings back for Gloucester tonight.